Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to have to post this here but calling Direct TV has left me frustrated

I have a “standard” type Direct TV receiver in our Adventurer. It’s connected to the Winnebago factory installed Winegard crank-up dish via one “in” & one “out” cable.

Since I’ve bee a Direct TV customer for over 10 years, I’m eligible for a free upgrade to a DVR receiver Question: do I have to install any extra cabling or other devices in order for the DVR receiver to work (I was told that the required phone line connection is not an issue if not used.)

Any advice would be appreciated…..
Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to have to post this here but calling Direct TV has left me frustrated

I have a “standard” type Direct TV receiver in our Adventurer. It’s connected to the Winnebago factory installed Winegard crank-up dish via one “in” & one “out” cable.

Since I’ve bee a Direct TV customer for over 10 years, I’m eligible for a free upgrade to a DVR receiver Question: do I have to install any extra cabling or other devices in order for the DVR receiver to work (I was told that the required phone line connection is not an issue if not used.)

Any advice would be appreciated…..
Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Nothing else is required. Just remove the standard receiver and install the DVR using the same cabling.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If you want to take full advantage of DVR you will want to have two feeds connected to the new receiver/dvr. Two way to go about it. Run an other cable or try to find a sonora signal stacker / destacker and use the one cable you have now. I use a stacker / destacker in our dolphin and it works great. I connect right to the "cable in" connection out side and then use the destacker up near the tv to split the stacked signal back it to two feeds for the DVR. Using one cable as you are doesn't allow you to simultaneously watch one show while recording an other. Unless something has happened with new technology, that's the way it is. If there is something new out there, I'd like to know.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #5

Navy Flier's answer is correct only to the point that the DVR will work without any changes. Rick's answer is more correct, however.
If you want to use the DVR to its full capacity you will want to run a second cable from the LNB on the dish into the coach and to the DVR. If you can't do this then a qualified installer should be able to do it for around $100. The stacker/destacker will work as well but it add additional sources for problem and I believe that they cost around $300.
No phone line is required any longer for full DVR activation or use.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I did a simple Google search and came up with a Sonora DIRECTV® Stacker for $133. Since I’m electronically challenged, I’m wondering if this will work: http://www.solidsignal.com/pro...-T&xzoom=Large#xview

I had issues, now fixed, with the dish leaking (while up) that have been resolved. I’d rather not “dig-into-it” again and have leak issues.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #7

I am not familiar with the equipment necessary for this kind of a setup but I believe you would also need the destacker http://www.solidsignal.com/pro...splay.asp?PROD=SD575 for another $72.00 but if that all works you would only have about $200 invested.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know for sure if the Winny installation of mrsr71's dish in 2004 had the facility to hook up two lines at the LNB connection up on the dish? I doubt it does which would rule out that option. I’ve used a older DVR receiver, (Ultimate TV), with no troubles using the single feed installed but always assumed there was only one connection available up on the dish. I’m in FL and RV is in CO so can’t check myself but would sure appreciate knowing if a second hook up coax at the dish is available. Come to think of it, there is another feed output somewhere so there must be two lines already hooked up!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

My 2005 Winegard satellite dish equipped motorhome came with a dual outlet LNB with 2 down lead coax runs. One coax terminates at a wall plate in the overhead entertainment components compartment. The other coax lead is not used and terminates close to the roof entry point of the wiring bundle from the roof satellite dish. Look at your roof satellite wiring bundle entry point on the roof and then go inside the motorhome and access this area to find the unused second coax down lead. Mine was in the cabinet above the dash in front of the passenger seat. The cable will be almond colored. I had to pull the interior cabinet lining and I found the unused coax between the fiberglass front cap and the cabinet lining. I then ran this unused second coax to my entertainment component cabinet and used it for a second satellite receiver for the bedroom TV. This second coax down lead can also be used for a DVR.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Dan and Bill. Those are the two pieces I use. My stacker is placed in the outside rear cabinet where the park cable connection is. The destacker and power inserter is up in the entertainment center behind the A/V equipment. The system has worked flawlessly for 2 1/2 years so far. Someday when I go HD, I'll most likely use the new slim line dish from DTV. Reading up on it, seems that you only have one feed out of the dish and some sort of splitter up line for receivers. For now, stacking is a decent answer.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I am continually amazed at the knowledge of people on this forum. I have never persued the DVR in the motor home because of the vibration and shocks and their potential effect on the hard drive. Does anyone know if the current receivers do well under this environment?

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
I helped | retired moderator

I have had 2 DVRs in my MH for 2 years with no problems.

It is recommended that they be unplugged when traveling as the hard drive still spins with the power off. I use power strips to completely remove power to the DVRs when traveling.

However, some folks use their DVRs while underway and state they have not had a problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, some folks use their DVRs while underway and state they have not had a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would include me! We haven't turned off our R-15 (previously and R-10) in about 4 years.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Unless your running a Inverter or your generator constantly, turning off the DVR shouldn't be an issue.

The hard drives in these devices are no different then in a laptop. They work fine while motoring down the highway.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote