Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased this set up for my motorhome and noticed that the receiver gets pretty hot in the front upper cabinet. Has anyone had a problem due to excessive heat? It works great otherwise.

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 39s Saturn LS2
Xeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased this set up for my motorhome and noticed that the receiver gets pretty hot in the front upper cabinet. Has anyone had a problem due to excessive heat? It works great otherwise.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We have a DirecTV DVR, the Tivo unit with the hard drive in it. It makes plenty of heat but we haven't had a problem with it. We also had it in our 2003 Suncruiser 33V, which had a smaller cabinet space, but it didn't get hot in there either.

If you ever do develop a problem you can put a small vent in the back wall of the cabinet to vent the extra heat into the front cap. But, I never found that necessary.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Cruzer for your reply.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Mine gets pretty hot if it's hot outside.
I have been leaving the cabinet door open about halfway and that keeps it cool.

I would like to add a muffin fan but haven't decided exactly how I am going to do it so as to get good air flow. You need to add a vent somewhere.
I can see several ways to do it but some are more work than others.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine has an opening into the front cap and that's where most of the heat comes FROM. I would imagine a muffin fan would bring a lot of heat into the coach unless there was a way to vent it to the outside.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a queation about direct TV DVR. Any special requirements?? Need a phone line?? Does it retain it's memory when disconnected??
Don Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Don:

No, No, Yes.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Don, we've had Directv since 1996 and you don't HAVE to have a phone line. If you want to watch any of the pay per views then you must. IF you have the RV waiver then you may also get East and West coast networks. If we're somewhere that has a phone hook up we somtimes use it but not usually.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Don, we've had Directv since 1996 and you don't HAVE to have a phone line. If you want to watch any of the pay per views then you must. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do not need a phone line for pay per view. You can order via the net or by phone. You will eventually have to hook to a phone line to clear the memory in your receiver but you will be able to order and view &gt;20 movies before this is needed.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
We have a DirecTV DVR, the Tivo unit with the hard drive in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cruzer,

How often do you plug-in your DVR to keep the Season Pass Manager & other recording functions updated?

I currently have a standard receiver in our coach and I'm thinking of taking the DVR out of the house or better yet, purchase another one for the coach :~)
Old 04-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsr71:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
We have a DirecTV DVR, the Tivo unit with the hard drive in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cruzer,

How often do you plug-in your DVR to keep the Season Pass Manager & other recording functions updated?

I currently have a standard receiver in our coach and I'm thinking of taking the DVR out of the house or better yet, purchase another one for the coach :~) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might check around with others that have the TIVO/hard drive option. I have read that the bouncing of the MoHo can damage the disk.
Dave & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I have used the TIVO unit in the RV for almost 3 years with no problem. I plug it in when I come home longest time so far has been 2 months.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I experimented with puting our Tivo in the camper. I discovered that every time I powered it up, it was a 5 minute process of setup, testing satallite reception, etc. Since we camp w/o hookups much of the time and run the entertainment from battery/inverter power, the startup delay was too much of a hastle for me.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Ken:

Good point...but do you experience a delay from switchin' from the generator to the inverter? Do you usually have the inverter on if the gen isn't?

Also...my understanding is that even the Season Pass Manager gets its data through the SAT itself- only PPV requires a phone line...anyone?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Tivo will work w/o a phone line once you get through the installation setup. After a while, you will get a pesky message every day telling you that the phone line is not working, but everything (except PPV) continues to work.

With my electrical setup, there is no loss of power switching from inverter to generator, but it does drop out when I switch back to the inverter. I have a generator transfer relay with a delay that switches the outlets between generator and inverter. It appears that the delay circuit causes the relay to "relax" a bit too slowly to maintain power. With my curreny DirecTV receiver (non Tivo), it takes about 30 sec to re-acquire satellites. See http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/inverter/index.html for details of the inverter switching system.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I have used a Tivo in my RV for about 2 years and it works fine without a phoneline for at least 120 days. That is the longest time disconnected from a phone line so far. To prevent damage from bouncing the hard drive, I simply used a switched power cord so I can turn the DVR off while in motion. That way if we turn on the generator while in motion, there is no problem with the Tivo powering up inadvertantly. To prevent heat damage, I keep the cabinet door open when using the DVR. We keep the DVR in the house and connected to service when it is not used in the RV. The only special needs for the Tivo installation is that you run a second cable from a dual LNB dish into the cabinet you are putting it. DO NOT USE TIVO WHEN IN MOTION!
Grundy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I can understand why you would say not to use the TiVo in motion. At first thought it makes sense not to jar the hard drive. But a lot of RVers are driving all day with their laptops on using them for navagation. If it's the same hard drive, maybe running the TiVo would be OK if you needed to record a program on the road. Anyone know if laptop drives are more rugged?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

For those of you who just gotta use your TIVO in motion, or just plain wanna keep it safe, check these out...

http://www.vibrapod.com/

Also, some of the Lowe's and Home Depots have similar vibration isolators on their shelves.

I haven't used the TIVO yet in the TH, but if I do, these will certainly be "on order" before I do.