Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dinette overhead light out and a couple receptacles

First shakedown trip with 2011 Aspect 30c. 3rd MH as well as 3 TT so I’m familiar with a lot of stuff. The light over the dinette will not turn on and I have 2 receptacles with no power one being just outside the door in the entertainment center. Breakers fuses bulbs all good. This thing has more light switches than any RV I’ve ever owned so I may be missing one somewhere but I don’t think so. I’ve
looked everywhere for a GFI receptacle thinking that may have tripped but can’t find one. Any ideas on where the GFI may be or the switch on dinette light? Thank you
Halibut214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I might guess it being two different problems? Reason being the lights would be expected to be 12VDC and the outlets 110AC unless something odd? Bit of guessing there, though!
will do a drawing check for GFCI as a start.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Did not find GFCI marked on a quick look but I did find the dinette light listed as 12Volt----I think.
Does this look like you? And do you know about the switch shown in green just to the right of the light on the drawing?
Screenshots come out terrible but the switch is the little green blob on the ceiling, marked as being 135742-06-CHT EA SWITCH-BEZEL,AISLE
Wrong switch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (11).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	173598  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Possible GFCI? Looking from side.
Under the inverter (Blue mark) and behind( or forward?) the load center (black mark), with GFCI circled in red?

Any help or just wandering around in the woods!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GFCI.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	173599  
Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Pic 1 definitely my rig. Pic 2 I’m not sure which way I’m looking?
Old 05-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Had company for first time in three months, Big deal but small crowd?
But back to the question. This view is from one side but not sure which. If you can locate the power center with breakers, is likely to be a somewhat big metal box but might be hidden in/ under something. I have been reading about some which are under the kitchen cabinet and require pulling some panel off the floor of the cabinet to access. Seems like a bad plan!
This seems more like it is up off the floor. Let me do some more looking from different angles and see what it looks like.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

different view and I think I see the power cord at the left rear? That is the green line on this view and would make the power center and inverter about midway along the right side, perhaps just in front of duals? circled it in red but not totally sure of how your RV lays out and the drawings are really not too good at showing things we all know like the shower and such without going to different drawings.
The difference is that I can see it on the drawing but I can't see things like dinette or showers!
Thought on the light, if still a question. Is it possible to be something simple like a small switch on the backside of the light itself which is hard to spot but turned off? I have a light with a switch at the door but it gets turned off on the light itself to blow my mind at times!
Like hunting rabbits? It gets easier once I figure out what a danged rabbit looks like! What's an inverter look like? Hard to tell if it's hiding in a hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	right side.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	173603  
Old 05-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Found a list of fuse ID that may help for the light problem if you find the fuses in the power center. I highlighted those for the lamps and they could be the cause of dinette light problem?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuses for lamps.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	173610  
Old 05-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
Aspect 30J

On my Aspect 30J, the dinette switch is a "Push On, Push Off" switch located on the end of the light bracket. It was not that easy to find initially.

Safe Travels & Fun Times
MovingMann
MovingMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

You’ve went above and beyond the call of duty Morich. I can find no GFI. Why the hell would they hide it! Yes I did find the button on the end of the dinette light early on but not working😖
Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
You’ve went above and beyond the call of duty Morich. I can find no GFI. Why the hell would they hide it! Yes I did find the button on the end of the dinette light early on but not working😖
Thanks but with side effects? It's easy to get carried away when you get bored enough! I've done lots of drawing searching over the years and now it tends to just kind of work as entertainment while we are staying put. The death rate here in Texas is really beginning to shoot up and both my wife and I are definitely on the hit list so we are really cutting off all the outside activities we can other than walks.
I got my dose of CBR training way back but the bio warfare was so ugly it still sticks in my mind and just not going there with this old body!
For the light, one can always look to things like the bulb or even connections just inside the fixture but the drawing is not real clear but it appears the wiring just go up and over and then down to the power center. We drag these things up and down the road so that vibration can loosen most anything so things like the screw where the wire is attached at the breaker can be a spot for trouble that we would never find at home.
The GFCI may be just inside a small cabinet that hides the inverter but it does show item 16 on the parts and should be close in the electrical area but hiding!!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Found it!

After 3 of us looking forever for the GFCI I finally gave up. Then this morning as we were cleaning things up I found it! It's below the fridge close to the floor. It sort of sets back in and unless your at just the right angle or on the floor you just don't see it. In any case it was tripped and I'm happy to say I have all my receptacles back and working. As for the dinette light... apparently someone tried to fix it prior and did a bad job. I decided a new light was in order.
Thanks again for everyone's help with this. I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

So is this any where close to the area where the drawings show or is there any sign that things may have been moved?
One of the problems we can run into is that mods have been made, so that when an RV get a few years down the road, the drawings are no longer any good. One of the frequent changes is the frig which leads to me wondering if they changed the location of the GFCI while doing a frig change.
A person who did a bad job on the light might also be expected to have done a bad job on other things!!
Glad it works!
Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
So is this any where close to the area where the drawings show or is there any sign that things may have been moved?
One of the problems we can run into is that mods have been made, so that when an RV get a few years down the road, the drawings are no longer any good. One of the frequent changes is the frig which leads to me wondering if they changed the location of the GFCI while doing a frig change.
A person who did a bad job on the light might also be expected to have done a bad job on other things!!
Glad it works!
Yes it is close, just hard to see! And by the way, one of the 3 that was looking was female so I can say with confidence it was indeed hard to see As for things being modified I don't think so. This was a one owner with 7800 miles, had been stored inside and was truly like new. The stove and microwave had never been used. You need wire nuts you can crimp on these things, not wound and taped. I've always said unless you have some mechanical abilities and a willingness to accept things ARE going to go wrong you should never venture into the world of RV's.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Yes it is close, just hard to see! And by the way, one of the 3 that was looking was female so I can say with confidence it was indeed hard to see As for things being modified I don't think so. This was a one owner with 7800 miles, had been stored inside and was truly like new. The stove and microwave had never been used. You need wire nuts you can crimp on these things, not wound and taped. I've always said unless you have some mechanical abilities and a willingness to accept things ARE going to go wrong you should never venture into the world of RV's.
Good deal and sounds right on all points!

Tags
light