Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #1

My MH has a 300 watt Dimensions inverter; while I know that it is used to run the T.V. when not hooked up to 110v or running the generator, is it used for anything else? I assume that it does not charge the coach batteries...

After looking at different products in the Camping World catalog, some that were inverters only, some 'sine inverters', some that seemed to be an inverter and charge the batteries, etc, I realized that I'd like to know more about inverters used in Winnebago MH's. My interest also includes going to a larger size so I can use it for the VHS/DVD/Surround Sound system that doesn't work unless hooked into 110v or running the generator... soemtimes the movie isn't quite over when the 10:00 pm 'quiet time' starts...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #2

My MH has a 300 watt Dimensions inverter; while I know that it is used to run the T.V. when not hooked up to 110v or running the generator, is it used for anything else? I assume that it does not charge the coach batteries...

After looking at different products in the Camping World catalog, some that were inverters only, some 'sine inverters', some that seemed to be an inverter and charge the batteries, etc, I realized that I'd like to know more about inverters used in Winnebago MH's. My interest also includes going to a larger size so I can use it for the VHS/DVD/Surround Sound system that doesn't work unless hooked into 110v or running the generator... soemtimes the movie isn't quite over when the 10:00 pm 'quiet time' starts...
Old 06-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Richard--

Your factory 300w inverter should run all the entertainment equipment including a rear TV.

The surround sound audio amplifier is probably run on 12 volts. My Journey has a switch on the the dash to switch the power for this from coach to chassis batteries. There is also a sw/rly that switches this system between the entertainment and chassis radio speakers.

Perhaps someone else has info specific to your Sightseer. (All this is available in your factory manuals and the Winnebago website)

Your inverter does not have a battery charger. This is a job done by your converter.

As a general rule the charging system on the converters is not particularly well designed.
There are exceptions but many are are single stage chargers that either never really bring the batteries to a full charge state or continuously overcharge them.

ReM--
Dick Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Morse:
Richard--

Your factory 300w inverter should run all the entertainment equipment including a rear TV.

The surround sound audio amplifier is probably run on 12 volts. My Journey has a switch on the the dash to switch the power for this from coach to chassis batteries. There is also a sw/rly that switches this system between the entertainment and chassis radio speakers.

Perhaps someone else has info specific to your Sightseer. (All this is available in your factory manuals and the Winnebago website)

Your inverter does not have a battery charger. This is a job done by your converter.

As a general rule the charging system on the converters is not particularly well designed.
There are exceptions but many are are single stage chargers that either never really bring the batteries to a full charge state or continuously overcharge them.

ReM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Dick for the reply; both the main T.V. and rear T.V. do run from the inverter, which is great for after-hours. But the all-in-one surround-sound system, which includes the VHS & DVD player, is not hooked into the inverter. Since the surround sound unit, T.V. and all the electrical is right there near the inverter, I'm assuming that Winnebago didn't power the surround-sound from the inverter because it's too small... maybe someone could tell me more.

Thank you,
Old 06-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Richard34A, there is a lot more to know about inverters. I see you are from Sonoma County as am I. I am in the telephone book. Call me and we can chat at length.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi Richard,

Have you poked around the inverter, perhaps the DVD/VCR was just not plugged into the inverter at the factory (due to if all 3 components on will overload the inverter). If you can plug in ajust only run 2 components. You probably can not install a larger inverter in the same location because the 12v wires to the inverter are sized for the 300 watt a larger inverter could overload and overheat the 12v wiring.

I am not sure about the 34ft, but in the 29r I was able to install a 1000w inverter under the fridge and run one of the 110v lines through it. This gave me power at the front and the rear from the one circuit. I did not get the charger/inverter combo, only the inverter. Many rag on the factory converter/charger combo but my 3 yr old bus has the original batteries with no problems, check water every 3 months and top off only needed once, also the 06 Sightseer has the 2 stage charger so as not to "Cook" the batteries.

As far as Sine/Mod Sine units, Sine Wave units are more expensive and produce pure AC current. The modified sine wave units produce AC current but it is not as refined and can damage some electronics. I was told electric razors for example may burn out quicker.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Richard, I think 300 watts would be enough to power your main tv and a dvd player, and possibly a dolby surround amplifier too. Leave the back tv off when you're running full load in front. Have you tried just moving the dvr power cord to the Dimensions unit to see if it powers the tv and dvr?

If it works, then add the surround to see if it still works ok. You may not be able to crank up the volume loud and send too much power into the speakers.

The inverters are protected and will shut down if the load is too big or the 12v input voltage drops too low. Try it, if it works great, if not, it won't cost any $ to try it out.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have the 29R Sunova (Sightseer sister coach) and run the DVD and TV off of the inverter with no problem. We also have run front and back tv's but never tried the dvd in addition. We have had the inverter shut down from low voltage once and it was too late at night to fire up the gen. I worried about the state of the batts all night but everything was fine in the am.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote