Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Dimensions 12X20B3GR1T Noise Problem

My Dimensions inverter/charger started to transmit noise through the 12 V system which cause the radio & TV speakers to emit a transformer noise through the speakers. I checked by shutting off one breaker at a time until the noise stopped. When the charger is not charging there is no hum from the speakers. When I go to the monitor panel and reduce the amperage draw down I get the noise until I get to 0. When it is set to 5 or more amps and I am plugged into 120V Power I get the transformer noise in the speakers when ever the Winnebago supplied 12V amplifier is powered by the chassis or house. I turned on the inverter and shut off the 120 V power there is no noise in the speakers.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you deal with it? I know Dimensions are not thought of very highly on this forum. I appreciate any thoughts on how to fix the problem.

Thanks;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am not sure what you mean by transformer sound but what you describe is the same issue I had which is a 60~ hum caused by a ground loop. I spend some time tracing the problem but never was able to pinpoint the problem and reinstalled the isolation transformer. Winnebago originally chose to address the problem with an isolation transformer on the output of the TV going into the amp located in the bin under the driver seat.
When some people changed the original TV out for a flat screen TV, they did not reinstall the isolation transformer and as such the problem showed up again.

It sounds to me like this is the problem as I determined the same situation with my inverter. Short of telling you to put an isolation transformer on the TV I never determined where the problem came from nor am I aware of others that figured it out.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like the filter in the 12v output from your charger is bad. Any decent electronic repair shop should be able fix it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would like to thank both of you for your excellent replies. You both have given me great info. I called Dimensions and they told me they thought there is a failure of filters. They expect if a scope were put on the output it would show noise problems. They told me to take the unit out and they would rebuild it for $500.. That is not going to happen in the middle of summer maybe in the middle of winter.

On the issue of an isolation transformer that is also a likely possibility as the TV was removed to check for a problem. So I have 2 things to work on and again thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Don,
I had 3 different Dimensions inverters installed due to various failures but none of them cleared up the problem. Just FYI.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hey Don & Bev,

Not sure you want to invest more money in the Dimensions. I'm still using my 10 yr old Dimensions, but since I installed a residential Samsung fridge, I've been looking at pure sine wave inverters. But dang it, it's going to cost about $2000+ for a PSW with control panel option, and more with Auto Gen Start.

I've been looking at how I could rig up an Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 and keep the charging part and switch-over of the Dimensions.

Maybe someone will donate their Dimensions that they pulled out. I've never had an ounce of trouble with mine......knock on wood.

OBTY, will we see you at the GNR next month?

Good luck,
Bill & Helen
Old 06-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks Bill for your replay. Yes we are planning on going to GNR. We are looking forward to meeting Helen and seeing you again.

Don & Bev
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I wanted to report back that I found the noise problem and the solution to it. It apparently was a ground loop problem. Winnebago installs a ground loop filter behind the front TVs in these model years. I was informed that the filter was built in the back of the old Sony. When it was removed the filter went right along with the TV. WGO got me in the shop while I was at GNR and they installed a new Ground Loop Filter behind my new Vizio. The part # is 123324-01-000. That solved the problem. It had nothing to do with the Dimensions Inverter/Charger. My sound system is completely free of any hum or clicking sound. I am a happy camper for sure. I also like the Vizio as it has a volume controlled analog audio out that controls the amplified volume like the old Sony did.

My recommendation to anyone changing out the old TV to remember the Ground Loop Filter. I am a Happy Camper again;

Don