Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I am amazed that no one has mentioned the name Fluke multimeter. Seems it always is mentioned during a discussion about voltage meters. Have always heard that it is the most accurate, but don't really know.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

I keep a Kill-A-Watt plugged in to keep an eye on the line voltage. It will tell you other interesting things as well. It has caused me to shut down loads when I have noticed a low line reading. Sure hope to have a surge guard in line as well some day!

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 AM   #23

I just received my Digital Monitor as others here have suggested, and the voltage is "RMS" instead of the average. The voltage seems to fluxuate quite a bit. One second it's 124, then the next few seconds it's 119...then back to 123....then to 120.

I took it to work, and the voltage fluxuates there also, according to this device.

EDIT: I just read THIS article which explained exactly what "RMS" means, and it appears that the voltage does fluxuate somewhat as the reading is read on a true waveform. (I think)

Most analog meters will only show "average" voltage, where this "RMS" one will show true voltage from various points along the Waveforms....very interesting!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #24
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am amazed that no one has mentioned the name Fluke multimeter. Seems it always is mentioned during a discussion about voltage meters. Have always heard that it is the most accurate, but don't really know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO, Fluke is the best..........and the most expensive.

I have a Sears digital True RMS multimeter for general use. It was around $80. A Fluke would be 3 or 4 times that amount.

Accuracy is more than sufficient with the Sears.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #25
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just received my Digital Monitor as others here have suggested, and the voltage is "RMS" instead of the average. I'm not sure what "RMS" is, and the voltage seems to fluxuate quite a bit. One second it's 124, then the next few seconds it's 119...then back to 123....then to 120. Is this normal, or is this the "RMS" thing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RMS means Root Mean Square, which doesn't really mean anything to us.

A True RMS meter, like the one you have will measure the voltage from a modified sine wave inverter accurately.

A non True RMS meter will indicate low voltage when measuring a modified sine wave.

The voltage fluctuation indicates something is cycling on and off or possible a loose connection somewhere.

My meter stays steady until the load changes and if the load increases, the voltage goes down.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #26

This RMS voltage meter shows fluctuating voltage at my work also.....goes from 122.....to 119.......to 120....to 122.....most of the time it's right around 120 or so. It definately fluctuates alot. I think my analog meter I had (the cheap $15 meter from Camping World) was the "average" voltage (which stays steady), and this "RMS" digital meter will show different readings from the sinewave, or waveform...hence the fluctuating voltage (maybe this is correct? )
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Gary KD,
your panel must be different than all panels i have seen.Most have the legs alternate top to bottom ,not left and right.The top two breakers will be on one leg. The next two will be on the other leg.That way when a double breaker is installed one breaker is on each leg.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Fluke meters are certainly nice but hardly necessary for our measurements. Plus/minus 1 or 2 volts at 110VAC (~1%) is more than adequate and that can be obtained with almost any cheapie digital or analog meter.

Try the Radio Shack hand held meters. Prolly under $30.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RMS means Root Mean Square, which doesn't really mean anything to us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh but it should! Take it backwards: First square the measure so you have all positive values, find the mean (average), then take the square root to get back to your original reference. That process is needed when you are averaging the impact of negative and positive voltage together like in AC power so you can compare it to DC power.

The issue noted here, about numbers changing as the meter monitors the line, has more to do with the averaging time than with the method of measurement. For an AC line monitor you generally want to average a second or two (or longer) and to show a running average. For a test instrument, you'd probably want a shorter interval. For a UPS you'd want measures that got down to one, or even a half, an AC cycle (that's why switchover numbers like 17ms are often found in inverter specs).

Note that a true RMS meter will show that an MSW inverter is providing a proper voltage. Meters that don't do the RMS thing will often show a lower voltage but may be off high, too. Wierd voltage readings with non-RMS meters are one way to tell how close your MSW inverter is to providing a quality waveform.

see Discover Power FAQ or AmplePower to get more confused.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote