Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

DHS sound system 2004 Journey 36G

I just bought a new to me 2004 Journey 36G. The entertainment system is a mess. Most cables from antenna and satellite are unhooked. Working on the sound system first. DHS Q-Surround 5.1. Works fine with the ignition on or in auxiliary. Does not work when generator is running. Radio has power but I don't think the Amp for the DHS is wired to auxiliary battery. So I can either drive down the road with tunes or run the genset and have ac. Summer in Arkansas needs some ac. Got to be a simple fix. Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks
SD1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1966 View Post
I just bought a new to me 2004 Journey 36G. The entertainment system is a mess. Most cables from antenna and satellite are unhooked. Working on the sound system first. DHS Q-Surround 5.1. Works fine with the ignition on or in auxiliary. Does not work when generator is running. Radio has power but I don't think the Amp for the DHS is wired to auxiliary battery. So I can either drive down the road with tunes or run the genset and have ac. Summer in Arkansas needs some ac. Got to be a simple fix. Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks
In case it's helpful, here are the TV Coax Wiring Diagram and TV/VCR, Front Wiring Installation diagram for your coach.

All of the wiring diagrams for your coach can be seen here: Wiring Diagrams . You might also find these helpful: Electrical Parts Identification List, Wiring Identification Guide, and Wiring Diagram Help.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'll check that out!
Old 06-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Works fine with the ignition on or in auxiliary. Does not work when generator is running. Radio has power but I don't think the Amp for the DHS is wired to auxiliary battery.

I am a bit confused by this. It'salways possible we are just not speaking the same, so can you tell us a bit more about what Aux you mean. Two switches come to mind,one being the radio power switch to change the power for the radio from chassis to coach battery but that should work for both situations and not involve the generator, just which batteries.
But the switch many of us call the aux switch is the switch to connect both battery sets together to do a"jump start" for a weak start battery. But that may just be my confusion, so no big thing!

On the coax, you do have to first know what items you have and then sort through the bunch of different ways things are built to find what best matches what your RV has like how many TV, VCR, outside TV, etc. but then once you find the one that seems to match what you need to connect, don't miss the small print that should help ID each coax. There should be tape on the end of the coax!
Sometimes those small tags and hints of where they go can save a bunch of worry!

EDIT:
Do you feel this is the OEM radio or possible something added/changed later? If it has been changed, that often totally throws out the drawings and info we get and depends on the person who installed it which often doesn't meet the plans from Winnebago!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coax.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	183090  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The gen shouldn't make a difference if things are wired properly. The surround system is 12v and gets its power from either battery bank.

There are two switches for your surround system... sound source and power source. The source switch in your upper cabinet switches between radio and TV. The power source switch is on your dash, at the top right. This is where you choose house or chassis battery. The Aux (house) side should work all the time as long as you haven't thrown the battery disconnect/salesman switch, but the engine/chassis battery side will only work with the key in the ignition and the key in Aux or the engine running.

Now, you've said it works fine when the ignition is on ACC or running, so it seems it is getting power from the chassis battery side. With the key off and other 12v working (interior lights etc) you should be able to set the power to AUX and the source to either radio or TV and get sound.

Does this work with your dash radio? The TV might have been messed with, but if you have the stock dash radio then that should be working.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

With the key out and the battery switch to aux, the radio has power but I have no sound. Going to dive into it a little deeper today.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It is oem radio. Should have said accessory. System works fine off the main battery (engine running or key on accessory) but nothing off the house battery or when the generator is running.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote: "as long as you haven't thrown the battery disconnect/salesman switch, but the engine/chassis battery side will only work with the key in the ignition and the key in Aux or the engine running."

Any idea where this disconnect switch is on this coach?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1966 View Post
Quote: "as long as you haven't thrown the battery disconnect/salesman switch, but the engine/chassis battery side will only work with the key in the ignition and the key in Aux or the engine running."

Any idea where this disconnect switch is on this coach?

Thanks
From page 38 (2-16) of the Operator Manual for your coach:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Journey Batt Disconnect.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	183103  

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Update

Update: looks like someone disabled the tv/radio switch. I got the Atenna working thanks to the diagram shared here. Once I got some signal on TV, the surround system started working. I think I can rewire a new switch and solve my issue of no tunes going down the road. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure I will need it again before I'm done.

Tags
journey