Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Dead house batteries

I've known that my house batteries were on their way out for awhile but managed to finish the season with them anyhow. They now read 4.5 volts and the batteries have been turned off at the disconnect so therefore no drain. 2012 Adventurer. My basic question is should I replace them now before the winter months or just wait until spring when we'll be going out again. Absolutely no usage between now and probably April. I'm leaning more to replacing them before use next spring so as not to have the new ones go through a freezing winter. Thoughts anyone?
dach162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Two big points that are easy to miss. One is that there are actually safety items like the CO and propane detcors left oneven with the disconnect switch OFF! The start battery also has some drain on it and is not charged when we plug the RV in, UNLESS there is something added. A few coaches come factory ready but not most, so be aware that things like the radio preset and ignition may also run the start battery donw, if not prepped for that.
I tend to wait to replace batteries if I'm not going to use the RV. Makes the warrenty last longer if nothing else?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Dead House Batteries

I probably should have mentioned that the start battery is on a separate battery maintainer which keeps it up nicely
dach162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
I would replace with SiO2 batteries.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotuna View Post
I would replace with SiO2 batteries.
You say you would... but have you? In fact, I searched and you've offered this advice over 10 times in the last year or so.

These seem to be a fringe product for RVs. You see people that say things like this but not very many that have ever used them. On boats, they seem to be something a few folks do use, but still not common at all.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The "battery disconnect" switch does not disconnect the battery

Couple of things.
1. On many coaches the "battery disconnect" switch does not disconnect the battery. It disconnects the battery from some loads. On mine it sends a signal to the inverter to turn off but doesn't disconnect the inverter. So even "off" the inverter is drawing a little current listening for the signal to turn on.

2. Even with a real disconnect switch or removing the negative your batteries still drain from self discharge. Self discharge varies but is significant in most lead/acid technology batteries.

Stored for anything more than a week or so with a lead acid battery you need:
1. A real disconnect with a switch (prefered) or disconnecting the leads.

For more than a couple of months you need a battery maintenance charger like a small solar charger. Lead acid batteries could have a self discharge as low as 5%. After two month you would be at no more than 90% SOC and dropping which is not ideal for storing lead acid batteries.

Finally with flooded lead acid you may have to deal with maintaining water levels over extended storage as well.

Short of this you risk reduce the useful life of your batteries every time you store it.

So add a solar charger or a small maintenance charger and have your batteries well maintained and read to go when you are.
cruizerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dach162 View Post
I've known that my house batteries were on their way out for awhile but managed to finish the season with them anyhow. They now read 4.5 volts and the batteries have been turned off at the disconnect so therefore no drain. 2012 Adventurer. My basic question is should I replace them now before the winter months or just wait until spring when we'll be going out again. Absolutely no usage between now and probably April. I'm leaning more to replacing them before use next spring so as not to have the new ones go through a freezing winter. Thoughts anyone?
I think your right about the batteries. Don't leave the dead batteries in the coach. They will free and could split , though rare. But they will load the charger down. If the coach is winterized, I would not be too concerned about the LP detector or any 12V stuff.
My last set of batteries were V-Max AGM. I'm very pleased with them. Many folks are going to lithium but, for my money, they are too sensitive to environment changes and are a strange animal to set up and charge. A Magnum inverter with the correct mother board is capable of doing the job. Shop online for the battery you want. I bought mine that way but I can't recall from who. Got a good price and free delivery.

Don't forget to load the bays with mouse bate. Those critters are very happy to make a home in your home on wheels. Even the engine bay need some protection. But, I'm wondering here.

Tags
batteries, house batteries