Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

DC-to-DC charger

I have a 2018 Winnebago View in which I recently installed lithium house batteries, an inverter charger, MPPT solar controller supporting 4, 100watt panels, xantrex monitor and a dc-to-do charger. After install I received a dash light for failure in the ABS and ERP systems, following draining and charging the house battery. These dash lights came on as soon as the battery was recharged, even before the camper had been moved.
I used an ODB sensor that read that there was inadequate voltage and right rear tire sensor failure. After research I learned that the right rear sensor warning is generally a false code and that the actual problem is likely in the electrical system.
By the way, I also tried a reset, checked the 5A fuse under the dash, and tried the reset done by starting the engine and going lock-to-lock with the steering. Nothing worked.
I am suspicious that the install of the Renogy 40A dc-to-dc charger and its connection to the solenoid under the passenger seat may be incorrect. Attached is a graphic of the charger install. I have purchased a new Cole Hersee solenoid that I will install but would like advice on
1) How to wire the DC-to-DC charger correctly between the solenoid, house lithium battery and chassis wet battery at the solenoid, and
2) Any ideas of other items to check and the method to do so to fix the problems causing the idiot lights in the dash.
Thank you in advance for any guidance and wiring diagrams you may have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C78A6BDD-7C53-4207-8603-928C0A503D16.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	178497  
CaptainMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Not too many here have installed DC to DC chargers here, let alone on a MB chassis. If no one responds I suggest also trying your question on https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php. Lots of Sprinter specific experience there.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I am in the process of swapping out my lead acid to Lithium and am also going to install a dc/dc controller/charger and was considering the Renogo. From my understanding this connection is made between the alternator and the house batteries. Is this correct and have you found your problem? Was it the dc/dc contriller?
christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas View Post
I am in the process of swapping out my lead acid to Lithium and am also going to install a dc/dc controller/charger and was considering the Renogo. From my understanding this connection is made between the alternator and the house batteries. Is this correct and have you found your problem? Was it the dc/dc contriller?
What chassis do you have and how much lithium (Ah) are you adding?
If it's 200Ah or less, on a Sprinter with the 220A alternator, you probably don't need the DC-DC charger. Your alternator will probably be fine by itself, based on my current setup and experience. However, it's up to you.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The wiring diagram you posted should work.

By cutting the yellow wire to the boost solenoid, you have disabled it.
Was there a white wire spliced into that yellow wire connection and did you leave that connected?

You may want to try removing the cable between the boost solenoid and battery disconnect switch and moving the dc-dc output and coach battery cable to the left post of the disconnect switch.

Jipper
2019 Navion J
jipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2018 Winne View 24J. I installed two Lithium Ion 12 volt batteries(LionEnergy UT-1300 105Ah w/BMS). I did NOT install a DC-DC controller. I previously installed a Xantrex XC-2000 Inverter/Charger and Victron battery monitor BMV-712 and Solar charge controller MPPT 50/100. All the devices require settings adjustments. So far everything works fine, no signs of Alternator issues.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #7
2017 Itasca Spirit 27Q.

ian at Boundless Power systems in Ohio installed ours. It is a Sterling 60 amp DC-DC charger. the positive from the chassis battery is wired to the input on the charger. so not directly from the alternator so the chassis battery not the alternator provides the power for the charger.The sterling site has information about installation as well. this is my understanding at least.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Your DCDC install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMitch View Post
I have a 2018 Winnebago View in which I recently installed lithium house batteries, an inverter charger, MPPT solar controller supporting 4, 100watt panels, xantrex monitor and a dc-to-do charger. After install I received a dash light for failure in the ABS and ERP systems, following draining and charging the house battery. These dash lights came on as soon as the battery was recharged, even before the camper had been moved.
I used an ODB sensor that read that there was inadequate voltage and right rear tire sensor failure. After research I learned that the right rear sensor warning is generally a false code and that the actual problem is likely in the electrical system.
By the way, I also tried a reset, checked the 5A fuse under the dash, and tried the reset done by starting the engine and going lock-to-lock with the steering. Nothing worked.
I am suspicious that the install of the Renogy 40A dc-to-dc charger and its connection to the solenoid under the passenger seat may be incorrect. Attached is a graphic of the charger install. I have purchased a new Cole Hersee solenoid that I will install but would like advice on
1) How to wire the DC-to-DC charger correctly between the solenoid, house lithium battery and chassis wet battery at the solenoid, and
2) Any ideas of other items to check and the method to do so to fix the problems causing the idiot lights in the dash.
Thank you in advance for any guidance and wiring diagrams you may have.
So, in your wiring diagram you're just using the posts to connect wires? The solenoid is disabled in the open condition?
Desmonic is offline   Reply With Quote