Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dash A/C Stopped Working

I have a 2000 Winnebago Journey 34D Diesel Pusher. My dash A/C stopped working. Fan works, but compressor/clutch will not operate. Wire from the Evaporator Pressure Switch (which goes to compressor clutch) gets very HOT, but does not trip a circuit breaker or fuse. Thinking the clutch may be bad, or compressor is bad. Any one had this problem, or had to have the clutch or compressor replaced?
K5EAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

First step always check condenser fan underneath the MH. They get hit a lot with stuff and have to be replace quite often.

Next hook up gages and take a look see at the pressures.

In the past I have lost my condenser fan and also a switch. had to replace switch and filter.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Not my condenser fans. Freon levels are OK. When I jumper out the Evaporator Pressure Switch, the condenser fans run, but compressor does not. Wire from the pressure switch gets real HOT. Thinking problem may be a bad clutch or compressor.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
TR4
Winnebago Watcher

Have tried to jump to compressor with 12 volts?
How do you know your pressures are right if the compressor isn't running?
A/C trinary switch on my coach goes through a relay, do you have wiring diagram for your coach? Might be a relay problem?

Bill
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

With the engine stopped, try applying 12V to the clutch. If it engages and you cannot turn the compressor by hand, (with the belt loose of course) the compressor is likely seized.
Most common cause of a seized compressor on these older coaches is the dryer comes apart and distributes little steel balls through the system.
A new compressor, removal and cleaning of the Whole System and recharge are the order of the day.

Been there, done that. Got the T Shirt.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Have tried to jump to compressor with 12 volts?
How do you know your pressures are right if the compressor isn't running?
A/C trinary switch on my coach goes through a relay, do you have wiring diagram for your coach? Might be a relay problem?

Bill
Thanks for all the updates. I tried applying voltage to the compressor clutch and nothing happened except the wire got very HOT, no circuit breaker tripped, no fuse blown. Can't get to the compressor as it is located on the right side of engine on the top under the bed. Can see the compressor from inside the coach when bed is raised up. Not sure if I can replace the clutch or compressor without removing the central air main duct assembly which is on top of the engine. Hope I don't have to take it to Freighliner to do final testing because of high price of their troubleshooting/repairs.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The electric clutch can go bad, but further tests can be made before replacing parts. Is the system properly charged with refrigerant? If so, a 12 v source can be used to jumper the compressor clutch to test operation. Is the dash control sending a signal to the A/C relay?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The electric clutch can go bad, but further tests can be made before replacing parts. Is the system properly charged with refrigerant? If so, a 12 v source can be used to jumper the compressor clutch to test operation. Is the dash control sending a signal to the A/C relay?
Yep, just unplug the pressure switch and jump across the plug, the clutch should engage. Or you can measure the voltage at the compressor plug to see if you have current there; if so, the clutch is bad. Obviously both tests require the ac to be on, but combining both tests, jumping both plugs at the same time, doesn't require the engine to be running. Safer.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Thanks Bob and TonyMac for your suggestions. Well, the Freon is full. when I have the engine running and I jumper across the Evap Pressure Switch which is up front under the hood, the two fans at the Condenser on the left rear of the motor home start to turn but nothing else happens. one of the yellow wires which I assume goes back to the clutch gets very, very HOT. I cannot see the compressor clutch because of where it is located underneath the bed and on the right side of the engine. In order to get to the compressor, it looks like I will have to disassemble the main central air duct assembly which is on the top, in the compartment under the bed.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Angry Dash A/C fuse location?

I have a 2004 Journey 32T on the Freightliner chassis and the dash air stop blowing cold air. Three months ago I had the dash air serviced and it worked great leaving the service center.

I checked A/C circuit breaker was not tripped. Next I checked power to the thermostatic control and determined it was not getting power. So next I thought I would check the A/C fuse. I opened the two Freightliner fuse panel boxes in the outside front panel but could not find the A/C fuse.

Can someone tell me where to find the dash air fuse.

Thanks
pvictor189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure that you're jumping the right pressure switch, my condenser fans don't come on till the high pressure switch tells it to (approx. 225 psi). That would take awhile to reach to start the condenser fans. On mine it's next to the drier close is locate near the the condenser coil.. The pressure switch for the clutch is on the low side near the heater core A/c box and jumping that one would not start the condenser fans until pressure is reached. One wire from the low pressure switch comes from the thermostat and the wires are purple
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dash air, ems, problems