Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a problem with my dash 12v recep in my 2007 Journey 36G. I was changing my camera monitor to a color one and didn't notice when I put the wires through the pos for the 12V receptacle, which is just below the monitor, came off. There was contact of course and now the plug doesn't work.

I looked for fuses and the only ones I found are in the front above the genset. There is one labeled accessory but is fine. I changed it to check but that did not make a difference. I called Winnie and was told there are fuses under the dash. I tore everything apart and have not found any fuses.

I bought another plug, hooked the wires to it before it installed it and it worked. At least the power indicator on my gps plug came on. I took the old one out and installed the new one and it doesn't work. It no longer works if I take it out of the dash either. I am being very careful with the wires, taping the ends until I plug them in even though they are not exposed.

Any ideas as to what my problem is and how to solve it?

Thanks for the help!!
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a problem with my dash 12v recep in my 2007 Journey 36G. I was changing my camera monitor to a color one and didn't notice when I put the wires through the pos for the 12V receptacle, which is just below the monitor, came off. There was contact of course and now the plug doesn't work.

I looked for fuses and the only ones I found are in the front above the genset. There is one labeled accessory but is fine. I changed it to check but that did not make a difference. I called Winnie and was told there are fuses under the dash. I tore everything apart and have not found any fuses.

I bought another plug, hooked the wires to it before it installed it and it worked. At least the power indicator on my gps plug came on. I took the old one out and installed the new one and it doesn't work. It no longer works if I take it out of the dash either. I am being very careful with the wires, taping the ends until I plug them in even though they are not exposed.

Any ideas as to what my problem is and how to solve it?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Olive, Im not following your problem very well, but look in the "male " end of your original plug in. The end should unscrew, and you should find a fuse in there, a 10a I believe...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Isn't the male end the cigarette lighter which has not been a player in this and is somewhere in a drawer? Sorry if I haven't explained the situation very well. The wires I am talking about are behind the dash.

I know just enough to get by, but this has me totally confused. I have followed the wire as far as I can and do not see a fuse.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't the male end the cigarette lighter which has not been a player in this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats true olive, I missunderstood, and thought you had tried a different "male" and it worked.. My bad...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you have a Volt/Ohm meter, check to see if you have power at the connection point where you are hooking up the new socket. I believe there is or should be a chassis fuse in addition to the inline fuse of these 12V receptacles on the dash. Check your chassis manual for fuse location. For sure if you do not have power at the point of connection, there is a fuse blown. All you have to do is find it. I will check my manual to see what it says.
Frank O.
Ooops -- what chassis do you have?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a Freightliner chassis.

At first I did not show voltage at the connection wires which is why I thought a fuse was blown. But then I had power until I reinstalled the recep. I also bought a new one and it worked until I installed it.

Today I discovered there is 13v at the wires, but when I connect them there is no power. Could it be the connector is bad or a broken wire in it? I am guessing my next step will be to replace the connectors. Sound logical?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Olive - yes, what you're thinking is very possible. If you have a connection or wire that is "just barely" connected, it can show voltage on a meter, but not be able to support a usable load. When I had the back off my dash long ago, I remember one of the wires to the lighter was way too short and would pull off with very little encouragement. I cut the connector off, spliced in a new section of wire and attached a new connector. It's never been a problem since.

If one of your wires was stretched tight like that, it may have broken the wire at the connector.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The pos wire is too short IMO and may be the culprit. It is rather taught when connected to the lighter. I don't have that size wire so will have to wait till I make a store run to try that.

Thanks for the help. Maybe I can get my dash put back together before I have to leave here in a few days.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It works now! I was able to replace the wire as tomsm did with his and that solved the problem. Thanks everyone.