Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Vita 24P

Danby 110 volt refrigerator died.

Well first the inverter, now the Danby 110 Volt coach refrigerator has died. Man I hope this doesn't continue. Measured 110 at plug for refrigerator, So either the compressor, thermostat, or start relay died. Havent had this Winnebago Vita 24p for two weeks and things are just breaking. Any thoughts till Monday. Will Call Winnebago again Monday and Mesa RV. Any thoughts?
lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

Called Danby manufacturer today, they said the warranty is void with them because the unit is installed in a motorhome. Said Winnebago is only one that will provide warranty service. Service advisor says yes that is true, they have to call an appliance shop after they remove refrigerator from motorhome. Wow, isn't that just great. I love the motorhome, but hate the vender products.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Vita 24P

Well did some trouble shooting today, I ordered a 3 to1 compressor saver kit and tried it on the refrigerator. Compressor came right on. worked great. I checked the compressor windings and they ohm out good. Problem is I have to wait until November 22 before LA MESA will look at it. Than they call in an appliance repair company to try the repair. I don't want to void my new Motorhome warranty because its possible the compressor could go out. Wow I am pissed. buy a brand new motor home and have it for 2 weeks and the inverter and refrigerator die. The customer service is terrible. However Winnebago back east did get me an inverter which I installed and fixed their poor installation. Anybody else have one of these inhome refrigerators in their Sprinter.? So far not too impressed with the Class C Vita, great design, but poor parts.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Vita 24P

By the way I also made an access panel behind the refrigerator so it can be serviced without pulling it out. Should make their task easier now. The access panel is in the storage compartment on the pull out and is neatly removeable with four screws. Funny they had an access panel in that same compartment to a AC 110 volt line, but not the refrigerator....????
Old 11-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
lenore, The word "quality" ought not be used in the same sentence as "RV". Sorry for your problems.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Vita 24P

Just feedback, so far the refrigerator is working after I replaced the overload protector. Do need to drive it around to see if the vibration causes any failure in the compressor. Time will tell.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi there....I've owned a Vita 24P since Dec. 2019....and your 'news' about the voided warranty with Danby was quite surprising to me....do you know if that's across the board with all the appliances? Or just Danby? ......thanks for the info..."I guess"......best.....Dave
HobeVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeVita View Post
do you know if that's across the board with all the appliances? Or just Danby? ......thanks for the info..."I guess"......best.....Dave
Dave, in my experience (I'm on my 5th RV) I have never run into a situation like Lenore has reported. So, I'd say it's not common and I'm pretty surprised to hear that the fridge manufacturer doesn't honor a warranty because WBGO installed it in the RV.

UPDATE: I looked up the warranty on Danby refrigerators and they are warrantied for one year... but the installation isn't warrantied at all ever - in a home, apartment, or RV. So, for repair it's up to the owner to bring the fridge in for service. So, if it's in your RV WBGO warranties the installation. Again, this is uncommon but perhaps Danby fridges are considered "portable?" I don't know the reason.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Vita 24P

Yes I talked to Danby directly and they said they would not warrant the Refrigerator. However I believe Winnebago covers repairs by paying out of pocket. My local dealer (La Mesa) said they remove them and have a appliance shop repair them. Please note since my repair the refrigerator has worked fine.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the info....appreciate it!
HobeVita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator