Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cracked turn signal light

On my 2010 Itasca Suncruiser (same as Winnebago Adventurer) they installed a long skinny turn signal up near the roof, The problem is that the plastic is flat and they installed in on a curved surface. Consequently Both have now failed. I am sure I will no be happy when I see the replacement costs. But before I replace them I want to make sure they will crack again. Has anyone else solved this problem? Is there some kind of tapered gasket I can buy?

I know that I could use silicon. Put on thick layer. Let it skin. Partially install the new lens. Then let silicon harden, then trim it then tighten the lens. But that is an art that is not easy on a work bench. This will have to be done on a ladder.

Thanks
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Call David Straw at Lichtsinn Motors, 1-800-343-6255. You might be surprised at the cost. IIRC, the long, narrow LED tail lights for my previous WGO View were about $25. While you have David on the phone, ask him about the curvature. He's very knowledgeable and willing to help.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

This has nothing to do with your question but I'm just curious ...the lights you are referring to are they turn signal repeaters or are they brake lights? ...or do they function as both?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Theroc:
They function as both
Old 05-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for responding; that's neat that the lights do both functions as I first thought that they were brake lights only.

I remember several threads over at the Winnebago owner's section (click here) that had to do with replacing "third brake lights" and it seems as if one of the threads dealt with a Winnebago DP that had a similar vertically mounted LED brake light pair mounted high on the rear cap. I can't find those threads right now by doing a quick search but you may want to post the question there or have a moderator move this thread over there as some have come up with innovative solutions to lots of problems specific to Winnebagos.

The aftermarket unit some were using is this one (click here for an etrailer description) which is an Optronics self-contained sealed unit. I have no idea if it will fit in the space your OEM lights use or how much modification you'd have to do to make them fit but it was the one being used by several Winnebago owners for an aftermarket application.

I also agree with LeeOts that contacting Lichtsinn might be a good idea as they do seem to know much more than most dealers and their parts department is excellent. A call to Winnebago customer service may also help as they may have solution in their database somewhere ...who knows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	optronics led brake.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	95312  
Old 05-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks theroc
I am fairly new at trying to use this or any forum. But it has helped me on a few other issues. I am rather brain dead as I did not know to look under owners forums, stopped at RV forums, but will now follow the Winnebago one. How does one get the monitor to move the question?

I believe the light you suggest will just crack also. I need a light that is curved to match the curve Winnebago mounted it on, or a flexible light, or a gasket that will match the curved fiberglass to the flat plastic. Or mickey mouse it. Winnebago parts wants $40.00 each for new lights.

I have not gotten a hold of Lichtsinn. due to time zones but will. I am positive this is a problem with most of the units out there with my end cap. That is they already have cracked lights or they have ones that will crack.

I have no idea how long mine were broke and held in with one screw. I only noticed the one because it was starting to fall out. Then when I climbed up on the ladder I saw the other was broken. Very hard to notice from the ground so I suspect there are a lot out there yet to be noticed.

I emailed Winnebago and so far no response, but I am not surprised because they rarely respond.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

pokgunner, I've always had excellent reponse by calling the Winnebago Service Hotline. I've never tried to email them unless the tech I talk to asks me to email him further information.

I think it's this number I call: (800)-537-1885. Make sure that you have your serial number, date of purchase, and the selling dealer's name handy before you call.

To move a thread, I think the official way to do it is to use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page (or click here) but I've done it before by reporting the opening post ...I wasn't sure if the moderators like me doing that but many have given me a "thanks" for doing it so I guess it's okay. I'll do that with this thread and we'll see if it gets moved.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I think I am flat jinxed when to comes to Winnebago. Thirty minutes after driving the new unit home, the windshield wiper switch fell out of the dash! If I had known then how much that incident foretold I would have immediately tried to return the unit and demand a refund.

I have tried to call Winnebago several times. Only to be placed on hold for a long time. Once I was on hold for 50 minutes, past the time they close so I then just got a dial tone. I have tried emailing many more times than phoning and get a response about 20% of the time.

I will say that when I am lucky enough to get through, they have been helpful, except on two occasions when there was an obvious design problem, like this one is. Thus I am not expecting a response

Now nearly everyone I have talked to before and after buying the unit (except repair shops that are not Winnebago authorized) speak well of Winnebago. Such that I’ve concluded that either I am extremely unlucky with my unit or other manufactures are much worse. To define my unluckiness, I have now spent well over $20,000 (15% of the purchase price), with me providing most of the labor, to fix something; a broken item, poor construction or lousy design.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well according to Winnebago the issue has not been brought to their attention. I suspect more accurately, they have not paid attention to this issue.

Dave Straw knows about the problem and told me that the screws holding the lights were tightened to tight. And to place glue on the screws so they do not back out from being too loose.

These lights cost $40.00 a piece and I could not find a flexible or curved one that would fit. So I epoxyed them back together, but in doing so I a glued a washer that is almost as wide as the light, to spread the load on the screw head. I painted the washers black and they are barely noticeable from the ground.

Also did not tighten the screws "too" much, I hope.

Now I wonder what will break next because of very poor design.

Tags
light