Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
Ducati

courtesy light

2008 Journey as you walk into the entrance door just to the left there is a switch pnl with a courtesy light just above. the light is not working. I've already changed the bulb but still nothing. it has not worked since I bought the unit a few months ago. Just what circuit is it on? does it come on when the door is opened or via a switch?
Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Good question. I think it's tied to another switch near the entrance door on my Navion. Possibly the porch light? I can't recall, it's been so long since we've actually used our coach. I'll check later.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
US1
Winnebago Camper

That step light on mine is also tied into the bath fan and outside porch lite. Do those work on yours? Might need to refer to your wiring schematic to determine which circuit it’s on
Old 01-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Which do you have? The 37 or 39 foot?
Does it look like one of these and is this the right light?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lcs1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	176831   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCS37.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	176832  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is the Body, 12 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach (assuming you have the 39Z).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #6
Ducati

bottom picture and I have a 39Z, I Have the wire diagram and have searched the entire schematic but have not been able to see just where it is connected too.
Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati View Post
bottom picture and I have a 39Z, I Have the wire diagram and have searched the entire schematic but have not been able to see just where it is connected too.
Okay, with that in mind, maybe an alternate plan would work better? If you pull the light out a bit, there should be a code printed on the side of the wires and then you can go to this chart to figure out the "from" and "to" of those wires.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

But when not getting too far on one method, another may work better so testing the wires to see which may be missing, either power or ground, may also be a good plan.
The problem with testing for power and ground means you have to have the correct switch turned on.
Since it has never worked for you, you likely may not know where a switch might be to turn it on, so are there any switches at some point which you can't figure what they control?

EDIT: LCS1 is described as "courtesy/aisle lights" , so is it possible that there are other lights, tucked up out of sight perhaps, that are also out?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wire id.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	176834  
Old 01-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I checked mine an hour ago, and the Porch Light also lights up the step well courtesy light. If that helps? If not, good luck with it.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I checked mine an hour ago, and the Porch Light also lights up the step well courtesy light. If that helps? If not, good luck with it.
Winnebago has a bad habit of naming things different in different places, so I would normally think of the step light as being something else but If it is this step light, it does give a number of things like relays to check that I'm not seeing the light as being any of the other parts????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step lamp.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	176836  
Old 01-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
US1
Winnebago Camper

Ok, looking at the wiring diagram....

That step light positive yellow wire will be labeled 'PJ'.
The white ground wire will be labeled NF.

This step light will come on when the outside porch light is turned on with the porch light switch right there on the panel.
Does outside porch light work?
If yes, pull the switch panel out and check wiring. Appears the positve power lead for that step light is coming from right there at the switch. Check for voltage and make sure it is also getting a ground.
There is also a relay for this circuit, but if the outside light is working, problem has to be right there at the step light/switch panel.

Oops, just noticed the posts above mine is on the same track. If your outside porch light does not work, then we need to trace the 'JF' wire backwards from the porch switch. Appears the power for the 'JF' circuit is coming from the 14 spot 12V panel, I'm guessing resetable breakers???

So 1st thing 1st.....does the outside light work?
Old 01-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

What I'm not sure of is whether this light is the one which they have trouble with or if there is another name that is used on the drawings?

With Winnebago Al mention of his porch light and step light being on the same circuit, I could go with this light being called a "step light" but I normally think of the step light as being outside and under the step, rather than inside on a cabinet, so I'm still in doubt which what this light is actually called and where we might find it on the drawings!

On the description for LCS1, it refer to them as courtesy or aisle lights, so do they throw us a curve with calling it a step light on the drawings?

Or is it this set of lights? That is where I would want to pull the light and get a wire Id to know which circuits to chase.

That's where doing remote "fixing" can get way confused!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cout.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	176838  
Old 01-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

The light at the door is probably called the 'step' light and is separate from the other aisle/courtesy lights in the coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:10 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati View Post
2008 Journey as you walk into the entrance door just to the left there is a switch pnl with a courtesy light just above. the light is not working. I've already changed the bulb but still nothing. it has not worked since I bought the unit a few months ago. Just what circuit is it on? does it come on when the door is opened or via a switch?
On ours too, the outside porch light switches the courtesy light on.
You replaced the bulb, but did you test the new bulb?
Pull the bulb and see if you have power at the contacts.
Then I’d proceed to more troubleshooting...
Old 01-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Courtesy light in 2008 Journey 39Z

We had same problem, tried several things that didn't work. It turned out to be problem with ground wire. Now to restore the surround sound!
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Don't know if you are still chasing this, but there is a possible solution I don't see addressed. Have you laid a multi-meter across your switch (in n out)? Same with your light fixture?

As the others, I depend on wiring diagrams to point me in the right direction, but by themselves they will not cure problems.

In our case, it was a toasted light fixture. Serendipitous discovery, actually. We did not trust using the courtesy lights in our 34SE because of the heat generated by the fuze type halogen bulbs. But of all them, the one lighting the inside steps had the most utility and was the only one that didn't light.

As part of replacing all OEM 1157 bulbs with LED, we replaced all halogen fixtures with LED. The fixtures we purchased to replace the courtesy lights are https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Life good now. If not boondocking we light them all night as night lites.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light