Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Costar 9 RV CO Alarm gone bad

My Winnebago came with a Costar Model 9 RV CO Alarm. After a couple of years, the alarm went off and would not stop. I bought a replacement at a reduced price from the Quantum Group because it still had some sort of warranty on it.

Now three years later the replacement unit sounds an alarm after a day or two. I replaced the battery and again after a day or two the alarm goes off. I called the Quantum Group again and seeing that one unit was replaced already, they cannot do any more. I will have to pay full price from them or they sell at a reduced price through Amazon. The unit says to replace by 10/2019 which is a ways off yet.

What has your experience been with the Costar Model 9 RV? Should I buy a third one and maybe it will last a little longer? Or for 50% more through Amazon, I can get an Atwood 32519 which is also supposed to be good for RVs. Does anyone have any experience with these? Can I mount it in the same place on the ceiling as the Costar?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Had a similar problem with the bedroom sensor in my unit replaced it with a sensor I bought at Walmart the mounting screws have the same spacing
Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are you absolutely sure the CO detector is bad? False alarms can be triggered by household cleaners, alcohol based liquids, cooking smells and vapors from other liquids such as ammonia, and even pet urine.

Here's a link to an article that describes some of the many things that can cause false alarms: Can Pet Smells Set Off Carbon Monoxide Detectors? - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

I'm not familiar with the particular brand CO detector you have. Some have backup batteries. When the batteries are near the end of their life the detector sounds an alarm. We had the batteries go bad in one a couple years ago. Unfortunately it was right below the security system panel. We thought the security system was having problems, only to find out it was a the battery in the CO detector.

If none of the conditions described in the article are present in your motorhome try purchasing a cheap plug in style from your local hardware or big box store. Place it in the same area as the original (you may need to plug it into an extension cord and set it on the floor) and see if you get the same reaction.

One thing that can shorten the life of a carbon monoxide detector is being active while exposed to cold temperatures. The low temperature threshold for most CO detectors is 40*F. Below that temperature they will fail (sometimes within weeks) if left powered up. If you leave the power on in your motorhome without heat you could be destroying the CO alarm.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The same CO alarm just went bad in my 2011 Vista. I replaced it with a Kidde combination smoke and CO alarm purchased on eBay for under 30 dollars. I left a few messages with the company that made the one that came with the Vista but never got a response even though it was still under warranty.
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My Motor home came with an Atwood, It is identical to the Kidde unit sold at most Home Improvement stores and departments (Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards, Wal*Mart, And so on).

In fact it is a re-branded Kidde made by Kidde

There were only three differences between the two.,
1:Name on face
2: Color (Slightly different)
3: Atwood unit had a sticker on the battery cover listing the assorted alarm states.. Since the two units are identical. I simply transferred the battery cover to the Kidde.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Are you absolutely sure the CO detector is bad? False alarms can be triggered by household cleaners, alcohol based liquids, cooking smells and vapors from other liquids such as ammonia, and even pet urine.
The first thing I did was to replace the battery with a new one and place the CO detector back in it's place on the ceiling. After a day or two, the alarm went off again. I did this a couple of times with the same results. I then took the unit into my house, took out the battery and placed it back in the unit again, and left it in the house. It was quiet for a couple of days and then the alarm went off again.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I've replaced it twice already in my 2013 Sunstar 30T. We'll see how the third one does & maybe switch if it too does not last.
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
I've replaced it twice already in my 2013 Sunstar 30T. We'll see how the third one does & maybe switch if it too does not last.
I feel lucky that I am on my third unit after 5 years and not one year.

I just ordered a replacement from Amazon. We will see how long this one lasts. If not too long, I will consider swithing to the Atwood 32519 model.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

My first one lasted five years and the replacement is working on it's fifth year.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The last CO sensor had a service life. The chirp wasn't due to the battery it was due because its service life had expired.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
My first one lasted five years and the replacement is working on it's fifth year.
I hope I get 5 years out of my third one. If that is the case, I will be satisfied.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi all, same experience on our 2013 Meridian after 7 months of use. The Alarm sounds twice which means the unit needs to be replaced. Just went online to Quantum Group at qginc.com manufacturer of Costar monitors. They have the $56 monitors on sale for $29. I ordered online but didnt get confimation. I just called them and after two attempt was able to talk to someone. He said the unit is out of one year warranty. So he confirmed my order at the reduced price of 29...will keep you posted. Disappointing that a unit made in USA which is supposed to last til 4/2020 went bad in one year. Oh well...RV life.
Nxkharra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My July 10, 2014 manufacture date CoStar Model 9 RV is beeping 2 times with the led flashing 2 times every 30 seconds.

I was outside walking and heard it beeping, went in, changed the battery, that didnt fix it, then looked at the descriptions of alerts on the back of the unit and found out:

"End of Life: Red LED flashes twice horn beeps twice every 30 seconds - REPLACE ALARM"

It appears this unit's life is over and just past 2 years since manufacture. I haven't had it installed and operating more than a year or year and a half.

It says the life should be 6 years.

I will be contacting CoStar Monday about it.

Grumble.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I called the Quantum Group phone number and emailed it from the webpage and got a pop back saying they are not receiving the email and the phone says its disconnected!!!!!!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I got the plug in variety to replace my Costar. It also has a AA batt inside if you're not using 120V. I don't remember how long the Costar went but I think it was about 4 years...they are also one of the expensive.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

My Costar unit failed a couple of weeks ago....I'm told by my dealer that they've gone out of business and WBGO has a new model for ~ $55. I opted for a First Alert CO2/smoke alarm combo for $35...
Old 09-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
My Costar unit failed a couple of weeks ago....I'm told by my dealer that they've gone out of business and WBGO has a new model for ~ $55. I opted for a First Alert CO2/smoke alarm combo for $35...
Mine went out after a little more than year since purchasing the coach new. I also opted for a First Alert unit. Mounted with no problem using the same holes in the ceiling.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys. I am flabbergasted they went out of business, because that unit isn't even a year or 2 old that I bought to replace the worn out one. It was manuf in 2014 so they must have went OOB in the last couple years.....probably were out of business when I bought that thing!

I'll go get another unit either Kidde or First Alert....

Grumble..

I did find a page/website/phone number for AVCS that is active and selling Costar stuff, I'm contacting them too.

Thanks guys.

Kent
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Fairly common for these to die before their supposed 5y life expectancies.

I replaced both of my detectors already in my 2013 Class A. I also supplement with a non RV battery Powered CO detector, just to be safe.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Fairly common for these to die before their supposed 5y life expectancies.

I replaced both of my detectors already in my 2013 Class A. I also supplement with a non RV battery Powered CO detector, just to be safe.
Why do you think that is Statgeek?

Is it the product, or environment?

I see there is a 10 year carbon monoxide detector guaranteed no batteries needed and warranted to work for 6. Maybe I should have ordered that one instead of the one I ordered.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]