Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hoping this one will cover the existing screws from the old COSTAR.

Sounds like I should have ordered this one instead:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-P...Q5W5ZZHBNM26DR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Why do you think that is Statgeek?

Is it the product, or environment? .
Well, your guess is as good as mine! I've read that it could be due to the temperature extremes that RV interiors sometimes experience when going from storage to use, and that these senors don't like humidity either. I've also observed that my RV seems to have a lot of dust accumulating (not exactly sure why), and I have read that these sensors don't like dust and that you should vacuum them with a brush-attachment on vacuum hose.

When my first detector crapped out, I too learned that the manufacturer went out of business. This was a double-edge sword for me. On the one hand, I was happy to replace a surface mounted unit with a flush mounted one, obviously requiring some additional cutting to install, which I did myself. But on the other hand, the unit that died was able to draw power from two different 12v sources, which I thought was nice because it could function from both house and chassis battery banks. No other unit did this, so I had to sacrifice that feature. Ultimately I'm happy with my newer unit that is flush mounted.... but I do fear that when it craps out I may never find a replacement to fit that hole perfectly (a risk we all take with anything custom-mounted).