Old 11-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Converting to LED bulbs

I did try a search for this topic but was unable to find what I was looking for, so...

Can I convert my incandescent interior 12 volt light bulbs to LED on my old 2007 Winnie Sightseer? Is it simply plug and play, or are there any considerations or restrictions?

If you know of an existing thread on this topic, please let me know so I am not just duplicating something already discussed.

thanks

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

There are other threads but Iíll tell you what I did. I bought a few LED bulbs to replace the push type incandescent bulbs in the ceiling fixtures. The first set I bought werenít that bright at all. So I went online and bought different brighter ones. They are better but not as bright as the incandescents. It seems that the cheapest Led bulbs are garbage. I bought the second set on Super Bright LEDs website. What I ended up doing was changing out only the lights we would use when dry camping (bathroom, kitchen, and a couple near the dinette) and left the others with the original bulbs so that when we are plugged in to shore power we get the benefit of the brighter bulbs.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The biggest problem you will have is finding something bright enough with a good color.
Most are to blue for me.
These were fantastic but they aren't available.
These are the latest but they were not quite as bright but really good color and it looks like they aren't available now either.

I bought 40W LED to replace 20W incandescent and 20W LED for 10W incandescent and they were just about as bright.

This is not always true I have bought several 40W LED that were probably not even as bright as 10W incandescent.

So buy one and try until you find something you like then buy a set.

As for the base the G4 is pretty popular so if you don't have G4 bases consider buying converters from you base to G4 instead of trying to find your base.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

As for the LED to replace florescent they still draw about the same amount of electricity if you go for the same effective light output and not just the textbook rating. The book may say that a 10 watt led gives the same amount of light as a 12 watt florescent however your eyes may tell you different. Harsher light yes but many times not the same usable light.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

LED lights are standard in my Itasca Spirit Silver 27QP. They are way brighter than the incandescent lights and use 25% of the electricity. Modern LED lights are way better than fluorescent lighting too and better for the environment.

That being said, there are two ways to convert. Replace the bulbs or replace the whole light fixture. LED replacements are expensive either way but my preference would be to replace the fixtures wherever possible. Even in my coach some of the lights were incandescent even though it was advertised as "all LED"; outdoor light and stove vent hood light, that were converted by changing out the light bulbs with LED equivalents.

If you don't do a lot of boondocking or dry camping, it may not be worth the expense to convert. Three years now and 28,000 miles and I haven't had to replace any lights. However, I'm looking at changing out my original batteries.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led