Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Converter replacement

I plan to replace the Paralax 7345P converter in our 2008 Sightseer with Progressive unit. The wires on the DC distribution board are soldered in to the pcb, while the new board has screw lugs. It appears there may be enough service loop to cut off the wire and strip enough to put into the lugs on the new pcb. Has any one done this? Will this work OK?
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I suggest you unsolder them
You can always cut off the excess rather than add a splice
I did mine in less than an hour - was a very easy install
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightseers View Post
I plan to replace the Paralax 7345P converter in our 2008 Sightseer with Progressive unit. The wires on the DC distribution board are soldered in to the pcb, while the new board has screw lugs. It appears there may be enough service loop to cut off the wire and strip enough to put into the lugs on the new pcb. Has any one done this? Will this work OK?
Unsolder the old ones and use needle nose pliers to form them to fit into a lug. You may have to heat the solder and hit the wire against something solid to shake the excess solder off. Be careful of the flying solder.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I just spent the better part of an hour unsoldering and re-soldering wires on something else (Much smaller wires) not that hard a job.

The hard part (for me) was figuring out which wires and where to re-solder them. (it is an eight pin plug)
Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Can you tell me why you changed your converter? I would like to leave my RV on shore power during storage and am somewhat concerned about overcharging the batteries.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

conveter replacement

dunlapml, I'm replacing converter because it is a single stage unit and is boiling the water out of the batteries which is causing the battery tray to rust and corrode. The multistage unit I'll replace it with will adjust charge voltage to needs and prevent battery boiling.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I just took a look at the converter in my Sightseer and the heavy dc wires are not soldered. There are lugs with screws. Are you sure yours is different? I can't believe Winnebago is going to solder wires into the converter on a production line.

Or maybe I don't understand what you are saying.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

conveter replacement

The wires I'm referring to are the 8 or 9 circuit wires located beneath each fuse on the DC power distribution board.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to

Detailed Paralalax 7345 to Progressive Dynamics Converter Instructions
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I replaced the Parallax 7345 in my View with a PD 4645 and it works great. I cut the wires flush on the old board and stripped them back about 3/16th". I would not bother trying to unsolder the wires. Get yourself a good wire stripper. I used a GB (General Bender) SE-92. Cost about $16 if I remember. Makes the job much easier since you are working in a tight space. I also used some anti corrosive paste on the wires which I picked up at the local hardware store. Not sure if you really need it but what the heck...should take a few hrs for the R & R. Let me know if you have any other questions.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
Can you tell me why you changed your converter? I would like to leave my RV on shore power during storage and am somewhat concerned about overcharging the batteries.
The Parallax 7345 is a "dumb" charger. It could cook the batteries if you don't monitor the water level. If you leave your MH plugged in all of the time then spend a few hundred dollars on a "smart" converter/charger like the PD 4645. Your batteries will be happier.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi All,
I actually doing this this week. I keep the Cambria plugged in at the house so I figured the swap to the PD4645 would be a good idea.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Be sure you have a good mechanical connection of the wires to the lugs before you solder them! Solder is NOT a good conductor! Also, don't move the wires after soldering them until they cool or you'll get a "Cold Solder" joint.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, replacement