Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #1

I just ordered a Progressive Dynmamic Inteli-Power PD9260 Converter from Ebay to replace my Parallax 7445 45 amp converter. I paid $155 including free shipping for the brand new unit.

The new converter is a 3 stage charger also, has the Charge Wizard built in, and relaces the single stage charger that the Parallax converter uses, so I will have confidence that I can leave my motorhome plugged in year 'round without battery problems.

Winnebago must have gotten a good deal on the Parallax converters....this will go where my Bilsteens went when I replaced them with Konis.....IN THE TRASH (or Ebay...lol)
Old 08-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #2

I just ordered a Progressive Dynmamic Inteli-Power PD9260 Converter from Ebay to replace my Parallax 7445 45 amp converter. I paid $155 including free shipping for the brand new unit.

The new converter is a 3 stage charger also, has the Charge Wizard built in, and relaces the single stage charger that the Parallax converter uses, so I will have confidence that I can leave my motorhome plugged in year 'round without battery problems.

Winnebago must have gotten a good deal on the Parallax converters....this will go where my Bilsteens went when I replaced them with Konis.....IN THE TRASH (or Ebay...lol)
Old 08-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Do you have to run heavier wire to handle the extra amps? Please post pictures if you can. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Do you have to run heavier wire to handle the extra amps? Please post pictures if you can. Thank you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I just called the seller back and changed it to the PD9245 (45amp) one instead of the 60 amp one. My old converter is under the fridge, behind the drawer, and will just be a direct unplug, plug new one in, plug in battery cables, and WALA!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

after 2 failed converters in a year and a half, i went with the same,only 60 amps and i did not run new wires. working great so far. Don
Old 08-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dstinch:
after 2 failed converters in a year and a half, i went with the same,only 60 amps and i did not run new wires. working great so far. Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like Winnie ran 6 gauge cable from the converter(under the fridge) to the batteries (under the entry door steps), so it looks like I could have installed the 60 amp Intel-Power, but the 45 amp model will work. I will install this week when I recieve it.

You have to remember...with your new updated converter, the full 60 amps will go to the batteries if your batteries are really low. If they are just barely low, you wont get that amperage. The Parallax (junk) converter in my unit will only put out 13.8 amps MAX, so when you run your generator, you would have to run it all day to charge your batteries....not so with the Inteli-Power...2-3 hours for 90% charge, because the capability of the full 45 amps go to the batteries, hence you need to make sure your converter to the battery cable is sufficient.

Winnebago must have gotten a good deal on those Parallax converters to install these in so many gas motorhomes....
Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Anyone with a Journey know where the converter is located? It is not under the refrigerator unless it's behind a speaker. Mine is a 2001.
Thanks for any help.
Randy
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randyat1001:
Anyone with a Journey know where the converter is located? It is not under the refrigerator unless it's behind a speaker. Mine is a 2001.
Thanks for any help.
Randy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine was under the fridge behind the woofer/speaker....Pull your under the fridge drawer out to look.

Also, you should hear the fan when you are using alot of 12volt lights....
Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks I will pull the speaker, there is a divider so it is not visible under the drawer.
Regards, Randy
Old 08-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just received my PD9145 with a separate Charge Wizard. I was surprised how small it was. Compared to the Parallax it is 2/3 the length. I went back and reread the specs just to make sure I got the right product. I had problems with my original batteries cooking and had to replace them with new 6V GC batteries. I do not want to hurt them so I thought I should take others lead and get a better Converter/Charger and liked what I read. So out with the Parallax and in with the Progressive Dynamics.
I will install them next week for our first big trip (Black Hills) for about 12 days.
This is a great site to find solutions to problems -- thanks for sharing!
Frank
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #11

I installed mine today! One of the best things I have done to my motorhome. I also installed the "Pendant"...that lets you see what mode the battery charger is in....awesome!

I took the lousy Parallax converter and threw it on one of the shelves in the garage...
Old 08-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I installed mine today! One of the best things I have done to my motorhome. I also installed the "Pendant"...that lets you see what mode the battery charger is in....awesome!

I took the lousy Parallax converter and threw it on one of the shelves in the garage... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Splice one end of some jumper cables into the Parallax and you'll have a standby battery charger.

Thanks for the information on the converter upgrade.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

FrontRangeRVer:
Where/how did you install the Pendant. The cable that came with the Charge Wizard would require a about a 1" whole to get the plug through and the cable is about 5 ft so it would need to be relative close to the refridge. Just curious how you mounted it. Any chance for a picture?
Thanks -- Frank
Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Anyone know where the converter is located on a 1994 Vectra diesel pusher?

Mines original and needs replacement.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
FrontRangeRVer:
Where/how did you install the Pendant. The cable that came with the Charge Wizard would require a about a 1" whole to get the plug through and the cable is about 5 ft so it would need to be relative close to the refridge. Just curious how you mounted it. Any chance for a picture?
Thanks -- Frank </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your model wont come with a pendant. Mine came with the "Charge Wizard" built in, and there was an access (phone plug cord) for the pendant. All the pendant does is show you the stage of the 3 step charge wizard (built in). Your Charge Wizard will do the same thing and you will have visual with the Wizard...something my model wont have unless you have the pendant.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

hgt64-
Not sure if yours is the same but I have a 1995 gas (Chevy P30) chassis Vectra and the converter is located under the cooktop below the bottom pull out drawer. It is mounted to the floor. I also installed the Progressive Dynamics converter and am very happy with the results.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hey FrontRangeRVR...Just how difficult/or easy is the converter swap?
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

I took the lousy Parallax converter and threw it on one of the shelves in the garage... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoahhhhh......Nellie!

I have been following this bandwagon of "trash-junk Parallax that Winnie installed". That bandwagon stretches from Colorado all over this forum...and that's OK as long as the wagontrain master insures everything is "fair and balanced" with clear understanding/presentation of electical component "cause and effect".

First, I would suggest most coach owners don't know what model Parallax converter they have from Winnie and why they have it. Most do not know what the "T" series is all about in the Parallax Converters.

Second, I would suggest most coach owners don't realize they usually get an OE battery in the coach that is NOT "maintenance free".

Third, I would suggest most coach owners do not understand what battery service neglect and how battery charging neglect adversely effects their house batteries.

Fourth, a screwdriver is to a screw as a hydrometer is to a standard "maintenance required" battery. Most battery wet cells go bad either from operator neglect or poor quality/manufacture defect. I would suggest ,most coach owners don't have a battery tester (hydrometer) in their tool box and honestly, are troubled understanding the basic chemistry testing of the hydrometer..

So...let's jump to the Parallax website and read about battery charging, battery water service, the "T" series charger model, why Parallax has "T" series in some coaches, and Parallax electical engineer opinion on smart chargers with wizards...and pendants etc... especialy articles "4 & 5 of table of contents".

http://parallaxpower.com/switchmode%20faqs.htm#Can%20I%...0to%20120VAC%20po wer

With that, those coach owners that want to remain in "fat wallet" mode...and like to quickly jump on the "Junk-It" bandwagon..please be my guest.. and step in front of me at the RV vendor's parts store.

Otherwise: I might assume this conversation between us at the Sunday Morning coffee rally:

Me: "I see you got the wizard and the pendant! Wow!"

You: "Yup...read about how junky my Parallax one was..trashed it good!"

Me: "That's got a wizard that does it all with battery charging? But with the pendant..you can control charging instead of wizard?"

You: "Yup...sure can".

Me: "Well..who's the wizard here?"

You: "Gotta go now.....see ya next month."
Old 10-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I have a Parallax 7455T in my 2005 Suncruiser.

I've added water exactly 3 times in the 33 months I've owned the motorhome. I have had no corrosion in the battery area from gassing. My 33+ months old batteries operate as new.

The motorhome is always plugged in except when actually on the road.

-Tom
Old 10-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Parallax admits over the phone that this converter model has problems. Replacing two in 8 months means it is a piece of junk...no opertator error. If it didn't mess up my ems panel and not put out ac noise it would be a good product.

Also, does anyone know how to make a warranty claim for the Progressive? Will they ship you a new if you send them the old.
Closed Thread