Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by peter griffin:
Parallax admits over the phone that this converter model has problems. Replacing two in 8 months means it is a piece of junk...no opertator error. If it didn't mess up my ems panel and not put out ac noise it would be a good product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and can my assumption be?:

1. You regularly/correctly serviced your house batts.

2. You kept your house batts frequently/sufficiently charged above minimum volts.

3. The model you had was the Model 7455 "T".

4. You or the RV technician did a correct battery test/hydrometer...confirming both (2) "good" house batteries... prior to replacing converters.

If so...guess you just might of had a bad one...and can I see your charge wizard and pendant?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:03 AM   #22

CraigH, The change-out of the converter is a very simple unplug and plug installation. Unplug your old one, unscrew the 12 volt leads going into it and re-connect the new one....10 minutes tops!

A great $150 improvement to your battery life, and peace of mind knowing your batteries are being charged correctly.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:06 AM   #23

Peter Griffin, let us know what model you are replacing your old Parrallax converter with.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Pubtym I dont know if Progressive is better than Parallax 7455T, but I do know that it reasonable to assume they are junk if..... (1)the company tells you they are having problems, (2) the winnebago technician says, "He replaces them like candy" (3) I have replaced two of them for the same problem and have done my duty to properly maintain the RV, (4) many on irv2 have similar problems...

FrontRangeRVer I will let you know after I speak with Parallax on Monday.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by peter griffin:
Pubtym I dont know if Progressive is better than Parallax 7455T, but I do know that it reasonable to assume they are junk if..... (1)the company tells you they are having problems, (2) the winnebago technician says, "He replaces them like candy" (3) I have replaced two of them for the same problem and have done my duty to properly maintain the RV, (4) many on irv2 have similar problems...

FrontRangeRVer I will let you know after I speak with Parallax on Monday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..and I'm on my third 7455T. Yes, Winnebago tech would rather replace it...they get paid warranty time..rather than fully trouble shoot batteries first... prior to replacing converter etc. They may or may not be Interstate Battery Warranty folks..

I had to learn/read operator tech book..about converter and battery 101...early in my Winnie shortly after the Interstate Battery Warranty guy found bad batts from the factory. With new (good) warranty batts and the 7455T, I'm on 15 months without another converter problem.

Most important point...one must understand the converter's sustained (sometimes fatal/self destruction) effort to recover a bad battery when the batts or batt is fooey. That's why it's critical... first converter troubleshoot procedure is to confirm healthy house batts with battery tester and...a technician who understands batteries..and is willing to do that simple check @ $100+/hr.

Highly possible you had a bad converter,,let me step aside while you buy..
Old 10-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I will take the free warranty converter and keep it as a back up or donote to another family members camper that does not have an ems.

I understand your frustrations..but bad ac noise has nothing to do with the batteries...the compmany admits it is the converter...now other peoples problems with the converter going bad and not charging the batteries I agree with you 100%. operator error.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #27

If you like your converter, by all means keep it. Lots and lots of people have upgraded their Parallax converters. On RV.net, the general concensus is that there are 3-stage chargers out there that are heads and heals better than the single stage converter that have been replaced 3 times.

That goes for the Ultrapower Upgrade also. Nobody is forced into buying any upgrades.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob/Becky D - VA:
I alway get a little cautious when someone touts one particular product as the "better mouse trap.' Personnally, I like to get opinions from various sources and then conduct the research for what meets my particular needs. There are a lot of other options out there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob/Becky. Welcome to the forum!

You will get alot of good info here as we are a good group of Winnie owners!

There are alot of us that have replaced our converters with better units (like you have). We have also installed aftermarket track bars, better shocks, had our ECM's programmed by Brazels (Ultrapower...in the WOrkhorse forum), etc. The converter replacement is not something new, or hasn't been reported here just recently. This is an ongoing update issue and many owners have reported that they are happy with the replacements and different replacement brands.....just like you have reported
Old 10-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #29

Parallax admits over the phone that this converter model has problems. Replacing two in 8 months means it is a piece of junk...no opertator error. If it didn't mess up my ems panel and not put out ac noise it would be a good product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter. My converter was working fine, but I wanted a true 3-stage charger, so I replaced it. Best money spent so far (well, maybe the Ultrapower is better)

If you want my old Parallax converter, I will send it to you for the cost of shipping.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bob/Becky. Welcome to the forum!

You will get alot of good info here as we are a good group of Winnie owners!

There are alot of us that have replaced our converters with better units (like you have). We have also installed aftermarket track bars, better shocks, had our ECM's programmed by Brazels (Ultrapower...in the WOrkhorse forum), etc. The converter replacement is not something new, or hasn't been reported here just recently. This is an ongoing update issue and many owners have reported that they are happy with the replacements and different replacement brands.....just like you have reported </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangeRVer;

Thank you for your welcome. I have been an RVer since 1977 when I bought a new Pace Arrow 20' coach, followed by a Komfort 24' trailer in 1979, a new 34' Adventurer in 1994, and a used Itasca 2003 38G in 2007. Have been lurking on the boards for about a year and this one and the escapees forum have been particularly usefull both for my recent purchase, and in the selection of upgrades.

Your initial post bothered me a little as it sounded like you might be in marketing for Progressive Dynamics. Believe you state "there is no better product." These forums are used by many to select replacement components, and I believe that they need to understand that there is no single solution to like problems. In my research, I found that for my situation the the Xantrex 40+ was the best solution, but would not by any means tout it as the ultimate solution. If you search on (find) Xantrex in this forum, you will find many that believe this to be the best selection, and they review of their posts as well as others who have implimented various solutions factored into my ultimate decision.

I was NOT affended by Pubtym's posts. I believe he was trying to make a couple of valid points;

1. Make sure you are performing the required maintenance before relating the blame to a particular component.

2. There is no "one size fits all" solution and the readers should do there own research and review the alternatives before spending their hard earned cash.

I thank you for your welcome and for your posts. They have been often times insightful.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Old 10-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

Peter. My converter was working fine, but I wanted a true 3-stage charger, so I replaced it. Best money spent so far (well, maybe the Ultrapower is better)

If you want my old Parallax converter, I will send it to you for the cost of shipping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's a Model 7455T, I'll gladly take it and pay the shipping....
Thanks
Pubtym
Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob/Becky D - VA:

Your initial post bothered me a little as it sounded like you might be in marketing for Progressive Dynamics. Believe you state "there is no better product." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nowhere in this thread did I say that. You are getting this thread and another thread mixed up as this is a several month old thread that had nothing to do with converter replacement. I might have said that in that other thread, as that is still my opinion. This thread is only about replacement of the converter and not about battery gassing etc. I'm just posting my review on this product (post was several months ago, and is my thread), and thats what forums are all about....opinions. I definately welcome yours!!

It looks like we both agee that the upgrade to our converters was a good idea, and that was accomplished!!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Pybtym

I have a 7455 that I believe is the "T" version. You can have it for the cost of shipment. I believe it is fine. I needed to replace my coach batteries and opted for AGM's and therefore needed to replace it with a charger capable of meeting the AGM charging protocol.

Will confirm the model number and get back to you. In any case, you're more than welcome to it.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #34
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
FrontRangeRVer:
Where/how did you install the Pendant. The cable that came with the Charge Wizard would require a about a 1" whole to get the plug through and the cable is about 5 ft so it would need to be relative close to the refridge. Just curious how you mounted it. Any chance for a picture?
Thanks -- Frank </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your model wont come with a pendant. Mine came with the "Charge Wizard" built in, and there was an access (phone plug cord) for the pendant. All the pendant does is show you the stage of the 3 step charge wizard (built in). Your Charge Wizard will do the same thing and you will have visual with the Wizard...something my model wont have unless you have the pendant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangeRVer

My 9245 with the CW and separately ordered remote pendant should be here tomorrow 10/29. Since your setup appears to be similiar to mine, was wondering where you mounted the pendant?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Pybtym

I have a 7455 that I believe is the "T" version. You can have it for the cost of shipment. I believe it is fine. I needed to replace my coach batteries and opted for AGM's and therefore needed to replace it with a charger capable of meeting the AGM charging protocol.

Will confirm the model number and get back to you. In any case, you're more than welcome to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bob and Becky for your offer. I'll take it and send you my mail address by PM when I return. Appreciate it very much.

For now, it's time for me to sign off this thread. I depart shortly for a three week out and back coach trip to NY, CT, and MA. Going to deliver to my grandsons their first shotguns..410s. Can't wait to see their surprise. Gotta get them pheasant hunting with Grand Pa "Pubtym".

Looks like weather enroute will be nice. Happy trails to all.

GO BOSTON RED SOCKS!!!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #36

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:

FrontRangeRVer

My 9245 with the CW and separately ordered remote pendant should be here tomorrow 10/29. Since your setup appears to be similiar to mine, was wondering where you mounted the pendant? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My converter in under the fridge, and behind the drawer underneath the fridge. where is yours?

I cut a small hole next to the electric outlet next to my booth area, and I ran the (small phone type) cable to the hole and installed it there. You can see the charge wizard status with the LED light on the pendant.

Let me know where you install yours....you'll love it!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #37

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I have a Parallax 7455T in my 2005 Suncruiser.

I've added water exactly 3 times in the 33 months I've owned the motorhome. I have had no corrosion in the battery area from gassing. My 33+ months old batteries operate as new.

The motorhome is always plugged in except when actually on the road.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only needed to add water to mine once in the year I was using that converter, and I had no problems with my batteries either. I just wanted to upgrade to a good 3-stage charger/converter so I wouldn't have to worry about the batteries in the future, plus I wanted the option to manually decide which level of charging with the remote pendant. Thats the reason for my thread.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 AM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Pybtym

Will confirm the model number and get back to you. In any case, you're more than welcome to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, Please check your private messages on this forum. I posted my mail address for the converter.

Thanks,
Pubtym

GREAT SERIES RED SOCKS!!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #39

Just FYI for those that are interested in upgrading their single stage Parrallax/Magnatek converter/charger to a true 3-stage converter/charger....

From the Progressive Dynamics website:

The new PD9200 Series RV Converter/Chargers have our patented Charge Wizard built-in to provide you with the most advanced RV battery charging system on the market today. The Charge Wizard is a micro-processor controller that constantly monitors your RV battery voltage and then automatically determines which one of four modes of operation is best suited to recharge or maintain optimum battery condition. The four modes are BOOST, NORMAL, STORAGE and DESULFATION. The Converter Status Remote Pendant will show you which mode the converter is operating in.

The Indicator Light on the Converter Status Remote Pendant will display the mode of operation as follows:

Light "ON" all of the time – Indicates the unit is in the BOOST MODE and the converter output voltage is 14.4-volts and is in the process of recharging the battery up to 90% of full charge as fast as possible. This mode is usually automatically selected after dry camping

Light Blinks Rapidly (every 2-3 seconds) – Indicates the unit is in the NORMAL MODE and the converter output voltage is 13.7-volts. In this mode, the converter is safely completing the charge of the RV battery.

Light Blinks Slowly (every 5-6 seconds) – Indicates the unit is in the Storage Mode and the converter output voltage has been lowered to 13.2-volts. In this mode the RV battery is fully charged and the converter is maintaining the charge, without causing gassing or water loss.

The Manual Switch...

The Manual Switch allows the operator to check to see if the Charge Wizard is operating properly as follows:

Press and hold the Manual Switch and shortly the Indicator Light will remain "ON" all of the time, indicating the unit went into the BOOST MODE. Continue to hold the switch and shortly the Indicator Light will start blinking rapidly (every 2-3 seconds). This indicates the unit went into the NORMAL MODE. Continue to hold the switch and the unit will go into the STORAGE MODE, and the Indicator Light will start blinking slowly (every 5-6 seconds). Once the switch button is released, the Charge Wizard will again read the RV battery voltage, and after some period of time, automatically select the proper mode of operation.

The Desulfation Mode

The DESULFATION MODE is only active when the Charge Wizard is in the STORAGE MODE. During this mode a timer in the micro-processor automatically switches the Charge Wizard to the BOOST MODE for 15-minutes every 21-hours. This higher voltage causes some slight gassing, and mixes up the battery electrolyte to prevent battery stratification, and the resulting sulfation of the plates, which is the leading cause of loss of battery power.

Note: When no 120 VAC power is applied to the RV through the Shore Power Cord, or Generator, the Indicator Light will remain "ON" at all times. This indicates that the Charge Wizard is monitoring the battery voltage.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

In the intrest of providing options that may better suit others needs, the following is from the Xantrex web site:

High Performance, Multistage Charging

Truecharge multistage battery chargers are microprocessor controlled for fast and accurate charging of all deep-cycle ˜house' batteries. A wide AC input voltage range enables proper delivery of a full three-stage charge, even when charging from less than perfect quality shorepower or generator power. Smart features, such as adjustable temperature compensation and independent settings prevent battery damage due to overcharging and also help extend the life of expensive batteries. All Truecharge battery chargers come with a one year warranty.

Truecharge 20+/40+

20 and 40 amp output
Microprocessor controlled, multistage charging
Charges up to three battery banks simultaneously
Independent settings for AGM, flooded or gel lead-acid batteries
Wide voltage range operation (90-135 VAC, 50/60 Hz)
Automatic 21-day top-up program
Durable and corrosion resistant chassis
Optional remote LED panel to indicate battery and charge status
Optional battery temperature sensor
Protection Features

Over-temperature shutdown and overload protection
Ignition protected for installation in gas engine compartments (10TB, 20+ and 40+)
Transformer isolated for safety and to protect against electrolysis
Reverse polarity protection
Short-circuit and surge protection

Truecharge 40+ Electrical Specifications
Output current 40 A @ 14.5 V nominal
Output voltage (nominal)
Charge 13.8 - 14.8 VDC
Float 13.1 - 14.2 VDC
Equalize 15.5 VDC @ 5 A max
DC output connections three
AC input voltage 90-135 VAC, 50/60 Hz
Temperature compensation 3 settings or optional remote sensor
Charger efficiency 85% approx.
Recommended battery size 400 Ah and up
General Specifications
Operating temperature 32? F to 86? F (0? C to 30? C)
Storage temperature -13? F to 158? F (-25? C to 70? C)
Battery connection 3 pos. terminals, 1 neg. terminal
Dimensions (H x W x D) 2.75 x 6.7 x 15.1" (70 x 172 x 385 mm)
Weight 7.4 lb (3.3 kg)
Warranty One year
Part number 804-0440
808-0400 (remote panel)
808-0231 (temperature sensor)
Regulatory Approvals
CSA/NRTL approved to CSA 107.2, UL 1236, including ignition protection and the Marine Supplement

Note the ability to charge multiple battery banks independently, set for battery type charging protocals
(flooded/GEL/AGM, manual set, or optional battery temperature sensor to ajust for correct charging at various ambient air temps, low and high input voltage tolerance, and a remote panel that shows you both battery and charging status readouts Vs blinking lights.

By the way, I have no stock or interest in this company. Found through research that these units are used on many high-end RV and yacht builders and were the right solution to my converter/charger problem.

As all of you know, best decisions are those based upon review of the alternatives.

Closed Thread