Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

If I wanted to watch different programs front/rear tv, can I "split" the antenna lead, connect those to 2 converter boxes, and then connect one box to the "Front TV", the other box to "Rear TV, on the back of the "Entertainment Center"? Also, does anyone know whats on the other end of the coax that is connected to the "AUX" point of the EC?...thanks...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If I wanted to watch different programs front/rear tv, can I "split" the antenna lead, connect those to 2 converter boxes, and then connect one box to the "Front TV", the other box to "Rear TV, on the back of the "Entertainment Center"? Also, does anyone know whats on the other end of the coax that is connected to the "AUX" point of the EC?...thanks...rgr...
Old 05-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

According to Winnebago a converter box should go between each television output feed on distribution center and the TV's. The only connection on our coach before that point is the antenna booster. Since the booster is a fragile circuit board I doubt it could take the strain of multiple cables.

I don't know about the newer coaches but there wasn't anything attached to the Aux port on the back of our distribution center. We now use it for the DVD player.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It would be nice, if Winnebago, would post information for us to install the converter box. With wiring drawings, etc. Most all 2008 and older Winnebago's have the analog type TV's. So we all need to have the NEW box, if we plan on using the roof antenna. Are 2 converters needed? One for each TV. Installed just where in the RV. Using the "Connect Box" what would be the best lead to connect to?

I often wonder. We all have to do this by Feb 2009. So what is REALLY the best install. I have read all kinds of different solutions.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If you can mount the convert box near the rear TV,add a splitter -one cable to the TV and one to convert box. Use video and audio line output from the convert box to the TV. Set the TV for video in for DTV. Use the tuner for VCR, SAT or standard TV. Canada will not change to 2011

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Frank, If you will, please re read my OP. Anything wrong with what Ive described? I have room to "stack" the digital boxes right alongside my dvd/vcr, but I'm confused by occasional warnings about 'voltage" on the antenna input line.. I guess I dont understand why "mount the box near the rear TV.. Also, anyone know what might be on the "loose end" of the Aux Coax..There is a coax attached to the "Aux" input to the "entertainment center ", but no one seems to know what it serves. Winny doesnt either.. Sorry to be repetative, but as I've said before, "Im Nuts and Bolts, NOT Amps and Volts"... Thanks all, ...rgr...
Old 05-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

See if this helps--from Winnebago.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2008...ision%20Part%202.pdf
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bellsharbor:
See if this helps--from Winnebago.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2008...ision%20Part%202.pdf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
At a boy bellsharbor, I was just reading my wit magazine earlier and was going to see if I could do what you just did. Thanks.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
Frank, If you will, please re read my OP. Anything wrong with what Ive described? I have room to "stack" the digital boxes right alongside my dvd/vcr, but I'm confused by occasional warnings about 'voltage" on the antenna input line.. I guess I dont understand why "mount the box near the rear TV.. Also, anyone know what might be on the "loose end" of the Aux Coax..There is a coax attached to the "Aux" input to the "entertainment center ", but no one seems to know what it serves. Winny doesnt either.. Sorry to be repetative, but as I've said before, "Im Nuts and Bolts, NOT Amps and Volts"... Thanks all, ...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most converter box will not pass the standard signal so if you mount the converter box in front and connnect rear TV out to converter box and the output to the rear TV line - you will not receive over the air TV (old TV), SAT, or DVD when switched with wineguard control box to the rear TV.

Wineguard control box sends 12VDC up ANT IN Connection to power the booster in your bat wing ant.

Please call me if you need help.

This is one more way to hook up a converter box.
Simpler than using VCR Hook up- To see DTV with this hook up you must turn on VCR, set VCR Mode,Set to TV Mode and tune to ch3 and now set the TV to ch3

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here's Part 1 of the Winnebago Service Tip: Digital Television

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I understand why Winnie is not getting into retrofits on these. There are too many variables, & the equipment available is not that good (IE no pass thru).

I have installed my Wal-Mart special, and it works great. But it took awhile to get it to work like I desired. Here in Dinasaur National Monument I get 15 channels off the Bat Wing.

If you want to avoid all the current problems with the DTV box installs, wait until the ones with analog pass thru become available. Then you can mount it next to any TV. With the box off, you should be able to receive any other signal like you do currently.

But I'm guessing the coupons won't apply. I'm saving my second coupon to see if they become available this summer.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

How does one access & remove the Winegard mode selector panel (in my rig, above the copilot's seat)? It seems there is not enough slack cable behind it, to maneuver the panel & disconnect the cables on the back side of the panel.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #13

The Winnebago instructions dont make ANY sense at all...Who would want to "replace the DVD/VCR with the converter box"?

I have two of the new Winegard boxes and who knows how to hook the dumb things up......
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I believe there is a second option on how to hook up the box and still use the DVD/VCR.

I hope I am right. Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the offered advice and help, I appreciate it. Yesterday, I did what I should have done a week ago, and called Winegard support, and the tech there, sent me a collection of schematics, seeming to cover about every arrangement. I notice however, that the page(s) state that they are not for re publication. I will call them again today, and ask if they object to being posted on this site. Meanwhile, a call there can get them sent directly to your e mail.,,.. Thanks again everyone, and does ANYONE know what is on the other end of the coax connected to the AUX position of the "entertainment center"?..rgr...
Old 06-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Winnebago instructions dont make ANY sense at all...Who would want to "replace the DVD/VCR with the converter box"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't actually replace the DVD/VCR, the converter signal comes thru when you switch the DVD/VCR to TV Pass-Thru.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
I believe there is a second option on how to hook up the box and still use the DVD/VCR.

I hope I am right. Safe Miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I couldn't get it to work....I have the Winegard Distribution Panel....
Old 06-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Hilley:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Winnebago instructions dont make ANY sense at all...Who would want to "replace the DVD/VCR with the converter box"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't actually replace the DVD/VCR, the converter signal comes thru when you switch the DVD/VCR to TV Pass-Thru. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how do you do that?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Your buttons are probrably marked different, but on the older VCR's they said TV/Video.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I solved the DVD/VCR problem by replacing the original Sony that came with the coach with a Panasonic DVD recorder with a digital tuner built in. It will tune both analog and digital. Combined with a converter box with the analog pass-through mode everything works now and as well as in the future.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote