Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Continuous Solenoid

Hello All,

I just replaced the continuous solenoid on my 2000 Winnebago Ultimate advantage in hopes to fix my MOM switch. Now my Chassis batteries are connected to the house batteries all the time. I do not think it is supposed to be like this. I am going to have to do sme testing to verify some information. I just learned that the small connections are for low power. One going to the ground and the other receiving 12 volts from a switch. I need to test my MoM switch to see if this switch is providing the 12 volts to connect the circuit keeping the two battery banks tied together. For the large terminals I have three big wires connected to each side. I will have to figure out where these go. Before I replaced this solenoid I was able to charge the chassis batteries from only the alternator only and the house batteries from the Generator. My goal is to be able to charge the house from the alternator and generator, and have the generator top off the chassis batteries while parked. I hope this makes some sense.

Lost and confused.

Bill
Old 03-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If the ignition switch is off and the MOM switch is not pressed then the solenoid should be deenergized and the chassis and house batteries should not be connected together.

Are you sure you have the right solenoid? The contacts in a solenoid and be either normally open or normally closed. If your new solenoid is normally closed when deenergized then the batteries would be connected together when the ignition is off.

You can download the wiring diagram for your RV here: https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hello Al1,

I need to do more testing on the solenoid to figure out if it is truly not engaged when the key is off. I did take some volt meter readings, but I did not have chassis batteries connected at the time. I realized my error and need to redo the volt meter testing. I did get a different solenoid. The one that came out is this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013U62E6I...v_ov_lig_dp_it
and the one I put in is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both are 200A Continuous Solenoid's.

Now my question is should the solenoid be engaged when I press the mom switch or when the ignition is on? or Ignition on and I press the mom switch?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You have a BIRD (Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay) as can be seen on page 5 of the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach. This is a smart device that is supposed to control the activation of that solenoid to to couple or isolate the two battery banks. You can see it on the bottom of page 5 of the Automotive Wiring Diagram. If you are having problems perhaps it is a problem with the BIRD rather than the solenoid.

Here's a datasheet that may be helpful: Bi-Direction Isolator Relay Delay - Intellitec

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by signet63 View Post
Hello Al1,

I need to do more testing on the solenoid to figure out if it is truly not engaged when the key is off. I did take some volt meter readings, but I did not have chassis batteries connected at the time. I realized my error and need to redo the volt meter testing. I did get a different solenoid. The one that came out is this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013U62E6I...v_ov_lig_dp_it
and the one I put in is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both are 200A Continuous Solenoid's.

Now my question is should the solenoid be engaged when I press the mom switch or when the ignition is on? or Ignition on and I press the mom switch?

Thanks,

Bill
From the info in the links to the solenoids, both are NO, Normally Open solenoids, so it looks like your new one should work.

I believe the solenoid should engage when MOM switch is pressed even if the ignition sw is not on. Testing with a meter would prove this out. Operating this way would allow the generator to be started from the chassis battery if the house batteries were depleted.
I don't know if just having the ignition sw on will engage the solenoid, the engine may need to be running.
On my 2006 Journey, which looks to wired about the same as yours, there is no 12V at the plus terminal until the MOM is pressed or the engine is running. I don't remember if the 12V is there with just the ignition sw on. That should make it pretty easy to use a meter to check for 12V.

In the wiring diagram that cberiel gave that would be the wire labled "DDE" on the solenoid. The wire labeled MG goes directly to ground.

The solenoids are on the 2nd diagram, and the Bi Directional Relay Delay module is on the 4th diagram. I think the module is inside the rig, behind the paneling in front of the passenger seat. I hope the module is not bad. I looks like fun trying to figure out how to access the module.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solenoid