Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Connectivity Question

We are the new owners of a 2022 2500FL travel trailer. We'll be taking a trip around the country for about a year and want to stay connected. We won't be working from the trailer but will need to stay in touch with family via phone and email. In addition we want the ability to watch occasional TV and sports. As far as camping, we'll be everywhere from RV parks to Forest Service to remote areas. Doing the research is confusing for the novice so any advice is welcomed. We will buy what we need but don't want to duplicate or buy too much. We have phones that use AT&T and T-Mobile, and the trailer did come with the King WiFi prep, if that helps.
SarahJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

After 3 years on the road, If I get TV it's thru cable at campground or over the air . or early night ( no tv ) . Wifi is thru my ATT unlimited data hot spot, or camp ground .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We use a Roku streaming stick, mainly because that's what I went with a few years ago when I went to streaming only for TV at home. There are many other similar options available. The Roku connects to wifi and has apps installed for various channels/services. I have Netflix, Disney+, Prime, HBO Max, Paramount, Peacock, iHeart radio and my local provider's app among others. If we're in a campground and the wifi is usable we go with that. In the evening when it gets too slow or if we're boondocking we switch to a mobile hot spot on my Verizon phone. If there's no cell service then we find something else to do. The Kindle app and some downloaded books allow me to catch up on my reading, and my wife's an artist who always finds something interesting to draw. Depending where we are at the time, there may be OTA network TV service as well.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Unfortunately, there’s no simple answer that fits all needs. In general - right now - cellular broadband is the way you’ll get internet 95% of the time.

There is a great deal to learn about phones, broadband MiFi devices, routers, and data plans. And even when you get a handle on all this it changes almost weekly, if not sooner.

There is one website that strives to keep up with everything mobile internet on a daily basis. Check out www.rvmobileinternet.com. The site has a ton of free info, but is 100% member supported, so to get everything you need to pay to join. You could start there and with their free YouTube channel. That should help get you up to speed.

Be aware, since this stuff changes all the time you should not trust old info as current solutions. Old info can be as recent as 2 or 3 months old.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone. I found http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ in the meantime and it does have excellent and easy to follow information. We are leaning towards a Jetpack MiFi 8800L through Verizon as the hotspot, which has ports in case we want to add an antenna. Having Verizon will give us a different carrier to that of our phones, which can be a benefit. Another website to consider is LetsTravelFamily.com. They listed the four main components needed: 1. Hotspot - cell device or modem 2. Data plan 3. Antenna 4. Cellular amplifier for better signal if needed. This list made it a lot clearer
SarahJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Team

I have the Verizon 8800L jetpack and it works well. It's perfect for us because we have an impossible to duplicate grandfathered totally unlimited dataplan for $41 a month. We put the SIM card for that into the 8800L and we can stream to our hearts content.

We also have an ATT Nighthawlk router and another totally unubtainable $22 a month totally unlimited dataplan for that device.

So, we have two completely unlimited data plans from two top carriers for $63/month. We got these plans 5-years ago and were just luckly to find them back then. Both were quickly removed from the market right after we got them - in fact, it was our membership at rvmobileinternet.com that made it possible for us to get them.

We do have a Weboost Drive 4G-X cellular booster, but I'd advise you to hold off on that. It was really usefully 5 or 6 years ago, but nowadays we almost never need it.

We have set up two cellular antenna's on our RV's roof and plug them into the 8800L or Nighthawlk depending on which we are using for internet. As I write this we're in Tucson and I'm on the Verizon Jetpack and have both antennas plugged into the 8800L.

Where we are the Verizon gives us about 20mbps download speed and the ATT is more like 9mbps, so we choose the fastest. We stream all our TV and are online constantly so we use about 250 gb of data in a month.

Before putting two antennas on the roof (we use two 4" high "Stubby" antennas from Weboot in what's known as a "mock mimo" configuration) we used the $40 Netgear Mimo Antenna you just put in your windshield and it worked really well, too.

We also use a Wifi Ranger brand Wifi Router to distribute internet to all our devices. Technically, you don't need this, but it simplifies working with a handful of multiple phones, tablets, TVs, etc. When we get to a new location I simply fire up the 8800L or Nighthawk, connect whichever one we're using to the Wifi Ranger router and every device in the RV is already setup to connect to that router. One network and one password for every device.

You can do this also with the 8800L - sort of - but not as universally. For instance, when we do stay at a campground with really great Wifi (which is rare) we can connect that wirelessly to the Wifi Ranger Router and then all of our devices are already setup up via the router. This will not be possible with the 8800L. But like I said... it is rare for a campground to have good internet access.

The router we use is the WiFi Ranger Spruce and it costs about $140. So, it's not a big expense.

I know you said you have a Tmobile phone plan and you should take a serious look at their data plan options. Some are very good.

Lastly, keep in mind that all Cell Phone Retail stores are NOT the place to get help or to buy the data plans you will be looking for. The salespeople in those places are focused on selling phones and plans and in almost 100% of the cases they will steer you wrong if you ask them for help.

Do your research on rvmobileinternet.com and you'll see how to order and get what you need via online or mobile chat will senior level techs.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:48 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We also use a Verizon 8800L jetpack with unlimited plan. On the roof we also use two 4" stubby antennas from weboost in the "mock mimo" configuration. We also carry as a backup, the Netgear mimo antenna which we had placed in the window with the best cell reception, prior to installing the stubby antennas.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I’d like to emphasize what creativeport said about cell phone stores. There are differences. The “retail store” will sell you stuff you don’t need. The “corporate” stores are better.
rwicoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

x2 on AT&T unlimited data Hotspot. I can do both the computer and TV with no speed issues. It's so good, I've cancelled my Internet at home.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Dish for us

We use dish tv we also have dish in the stick and brick, so the one for the RV is only 7 bucks more per month with the same programming as in the house.

Ask for the Outdoors unit if you call, they handle RVs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98A3276C-3AFD-4B37-A9E1-7F10B0A29E66.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	182011  
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote