Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Connect Solor Panel to MH

I just purchased a solor Suite case there are alligator clips on the cables out of the controller. Can I hook them directly to my 3 battery bank or do I need to hook them into the land 50 amp cable or somewere else. The unit has inverter/charger and the altinator also charges when driving.
Thank You
Ken
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
Site Team

If it has alligator clips I’d assume it has a solar controller built in and if it does you would connect those directly to the battery.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Typically, the "suitcase" style systems include a charge controller. The alligator clips or battery clamps go directly to the battery terminals. I have the Renogy 200W "suitcase" that is connected directly to the battery by alligator clips, or crocodile clips if you're down under.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

What do the instructions that came with the "solor Suite case" say you are supposed to do?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Do not connect the clips to your 50 amp shore power cord. They should connect to your batteries like jumper cables, plus to plus, negative to negative.

You mention a three battery bank. Does this mean two house batteries and one chassis battery or three house batteries and one chassis batteries? In any case, the solar system should be connected to your house batteries unless you specifically want to charge your chassis (starter) battery. Just make sure you connect the clips to the battery terminals where the main cable to your rig are connected and not to the terminals that are used to connect your batteries to each other.

The solar suitcase doesn't have anything to do with your inverter/charger or your alternator.

In the future it would be helpful if you identify the model and year of your rig. It's a good idea to set up a signature similar to mine that contains this info so you don't have to input it each time you post.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank You all I appreciate all the positive help
Kenn
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solo