Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

compartment power locks

20014 Itasca Horizon 40 AD diesel pusher, picked up after service (oil change etc) and storage compartment power locks on passenger side won't work while drivers side do work. Checked circuit breakers and they were not tripped.
Any ideas where to start looking?
wheatoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm sure the 20014 year is most likely a typo but passing that, Assumed to mean 2004?
Just to catch up a bit, you have one switch which operates both sides locking all compartments?
Do you happen to know where the door lock relay would be located?
Looking at drawing, I see battery for this is combined with several other uses like the other side, and assume they work, I would start assuming the battery feed is good to the switch, so chase it to other items.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Looks like there are two 20 amp breakers, one left, one right. As a first step one might try flipping those totally off and then totally on to verify that they are in fact getting reset correctly. I know that sounds dumb but it is also easy to overlook at times as the handles don't always show what's correct. Much easier than digging much deeper?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked the relays? You saw the left and right push button 20amp fuses per your posting. Behind that panel towards the bottom are a bank of relays. There are separate ones for the left and right bay doors. You might try swapping them and see if the problem migrates. In doubt, look at page 74 of the Wiring Diagram for the 2004 Horizon/Vectra models, available online if you don't have it.

Wiring Diagrams
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Compartment power locks

Thanks for the replies, I will check the relays tomorrow. The coach is in storage. I will let you all know what I find.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 03-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I see what you are talking about on the wiring diagram with the relays behind the circuit breakers. I will give your suggestion a try tomorrow.
thx

If it is relay I am going to assume that Winnebago parts would have the relays?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a way to start. The suggestion to try swapping the relays is good if they are a plug in typr as they are likely to be setting together. I've not looked at one but it might also be possible to find one at a local parts store if they are a common type and not really made to fit a certain space, etc.
Brief thoughts on relays if they sound big to you. They are really just a switch but rather than us using a finger to push the switch the electromagnet moves the contacts together. That makes them a pretty common thing and there are some that fit lots of cars, so they are just called "multi-purpose" relays. If you swap and find the trouble follows the one relay, I might take the relay to a parts store and see if they know what it fits. Mostly it has to fit the space, have the same layout on the way it plugs in and be of the 12VDC type and high enough capacity like 10-20 or 40 amp to do the locks. One common size on cars is 40 amp and plenty big enough to do the locks and having it too high rated is not a problem as that is just how much current it can pass without burning out. No problem to have it too big rated but too small may burn out too quick. Local parts will be quicker and cheaper but Winnebago dealers might be needed if it is a weird item.
Best of luck in the search.
Meanwhile stay safe!
Old 03-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Itaska 40wd and I have the same problem, and I located the relays behind the electric panel under the drivers seat, accessed by the outer door, I also checked the switch, swapped with another and tested the wires, but never did figure it out so I just disconnected all the rods so the doors would not stay locked, now I just use a key.
BTW: the original wiring diagram book is a bit vague on the location of the wires actually being run in the coach, I suspect that over time they have broken somewhere on their secret journey.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Power compartment locks

I fixed my power compartment locks, found the relays behind the circuit breaker door under driver side compartment door, had to “wade” my way through wiring harnesses, found the two relays and removed and replaced and they work.

Tags
power