Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coaxial Wiring for Satellite TV

I have been in the Technology forum asking newbie questions about hooking up a Winegard Carryout and they have helped a bunch.

It looks like I won't be able to use the existing Winnie factory coax in my Sightseer since I am sure there are splitters between the utilities compartment and the TV compartment. I am only concerned about having TV at the front.

Has anybody dealt with this and how did you handle it.

Thanks,
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastaron View Post
I have been in the Technology forum asking newbie questions about hooking up a Winegard Carryout and they have helped a bunch.

It looks like I won't be able to use the existing Winnie factory coax in my Sightseer since I am sure there are splitters between the utilities compartment and the TV compartment. I am only concerned about having TV at the front.

Has anybody dealt with this and how did you handle it.

Thanks,
There shouldn't be any splitters between the utility compartment and the front switch box. You will have to provide 12 volts DC to the Companion. It would be easiest if it picked that up in the utility compartment. Does your SightSeer have both a satellite and cable connection in the utility compartment?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My 2004 only has a cable input in the service bay. They did use RG6 coax which is not a necessity but does have less loss than RG59 used by a lot of manufacturers.

There are several ways to do it. I used a diplexer before I discovered that the Winegard wallplate acts as an A/B switch.

Winegard recommends the diagram below.
Note that this assumes your front TV is connected to the coax connector on the front of the wall plate. but Winnebago doesn't do that (as far as I know). The wire below labeled "to second TV" goes to a splitter that sends the signal to both the front and rear TV.

What Winegard calls a "power supply" below is the wall plate with the antenna booster switch and LED showing when the amplifier is on.

If you still want to be able to use the external cable in for both cable TV and the external dish just add an A/B switch to switch the incoming coax from the sat receiver sat input to the sat receiver TV input.

One thing not shown in the diagram is using the RCA type connections between the sat receiver and the TV. I connect them and get a better picture with no interference from any local channels. You have to select a "video in" with your TV menu instead of using channel 3 (for example).

Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The wiring info for your Sightseer from Winnebago is HERE

At the bottom of the list they have the TV hookup diagrams.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Does your SightSeer have the video switch?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the ideas.

Flyter I looked at the wiring diagrams but missed the one for the front end that will help alot. Thanks for your help over on the TECH forum also.

John I have the wall plate with the power boost. I found the coax wiring diagram and it is the one on page 73 upper right corner "with TV, Exterior Entertainment Center and rear output".

It looks like the rear cable input goes direct to the wall plate and then to a splitter before going to the VCR/TV.

Clay that wiring diagram didn't make sense until I read your description and that was right on for my situation. It looks like I have a solution.

I will use your recommendations for the satellite signal and then I will set up a 12V power point in the utilities compartment next to the cable connection. It needs to be 5-6 amp minimum for the Winegard Carryout. I will fuse it at 10 amps and use the Winegard cable.

Thanks guys.
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

First: For satellite the best run is brand new you install it RG-6, a straight run to each receiver, you may use a ground block, or a feed through (Bulkhead connector) so that you don't have to open windows. IN my coach I ran twin coax down the "A" pillar (means two runs of coax) to a ground block in the engine area (Gasser) on the brake master cylinder. I will re-do it later as.. Well, my install has changed.

I used NO existing wire on the LNB side

Each receiver needs a run back to the antenna for DirecTV (SD), for DISH, that's the easiest way but in some cases you can use splitters.. I do not have a good connection so I can not explain the differences,

Frankly that is the only way I'd do it.

Now.. if you insist on using existing el-cheapo RG-59 with the attenden signal loss and interference it's prone to.. You need to get to the video switch/splitter, usually this is the wall plate with the 12 volt outlet, button, light and antenna connection

Identify the park cable lead and DISCONNECT IT. Extend it to the sat receiver. and feed the sat receiver to the port (connection) where you disconnected it

NOTE: I suggest you do this even if you do run virgin RG-6, just extend the park cable to the TV-ANT-IN jack on the receiver.. not the LNB

Doing it my way you get your choice of OTA, Cable, or Sat, Doing it winegards you loose cable entierly.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First: For satellite the best run is brand new you install it RG-6, a straight run to each receiver, you may use a ground block, or a feed through (Bulkhead connector) so that you don't have to open windows. IN my coach I ran twin coax down the "A" pillar (means two runs of coax) to a ground block in the engine area (Gasser) on the brake master cylinder. I will re-do it later as.. Well, my install has changed.

I used NO existing wire on the LNB side

Each receiver needs a run back to the antenna for DirecTV (SD), for DISH, that's the easiest way but in some cases you can use splitters.. I do not have a good connection so I can not explain the differences,

Frankly that is the only way I'd do it.

Now.. if you insist on using existing el-cheapo RG-59 with the attenden signal loss and interference it's prone to.. You need to get to the video switch/splitter, usually this is the wall plate with the 12 volt outlet, button, light and antenna connection

Identify the park cable lead and DISCONNECT IT. Extend it to the sat receiver. and feed the sat receiver to the port (connection) where you disconnected it

NOTE: I suggest you do this even if you do run virgin RG-6, just extend the park cable to the TV-ANT-IN jack on the receiver.. not the LNB

Doing it my way you get your choice of OTA, Cable, or Sat, Doing it winegards you loose cable entierly.
John, Winnebago has been using RG6 since at least 2003.

Also if you read the info I posted with the Winegard diagram I said how to connect an A/B switch so you also have cable.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I applaud the use of RG-6,, Do they use the good stuff or the cheap stuff?

(I don't have my laptop so I don't have my reference files handy but cheap RG-6 is not much different from Good RG-59, Good RG-6 is lots better)

Source: Belkin cables
Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I checked the markings, looked it up and found:

"Coax Cable Comm/Scope (5730)

RG6 Coax Cable (2200 Mhz) CATV Satellite (5730)
75 Ohm nominal impedance RG6 Coax Cable
Qualifications: CL2 Satellite RG6 Coax Cable
For Non-Plenum Applications 5730 Coax Cable Swept-Tested to 2.2GHz Series 6 (RG 6 Type)
Highest quality coaxial cable available
Made in the USA "

I don't know if it really is the highest quality available - that could be marketing ballyhoo - but the specs look okay.

http://docs.commscope.com/Public/5730.pdf