Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Coach satellite wiring on 2015 27N

Trying to get a tailgater to work in N 27 . Dish tells me coach is not wired properly. Can not get audio. Only way to get picture is to connect coax from Tailgater to back of box ( reciver) when i connect to MH can't get picture . Just wonder if anyone else has had that problem with there 27N:
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You cannot put the Satellite on the cable input. There is a filter that bloxks the receiver sending data to the dish. Allmost all RVs are thatvway...
Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I setup a Dish Network portable satellite system on my 2015 Vista 30T just this last weekend. My satellite though is a Winegard Pathway X1 instead of a Tailgater. I assume that the 27N has similar wiring as the 30T. When you say that the you get no picture, are you referring to the interior TV? Or the bedroom or the exterior TV? In the case of the 30T, the satellite coax cable must be attached to the portable satellite port and not the park cable port. The Dish Network receiver coax cable must be attached to the portable satellite port in the overhead above the drivers seat. Plug the HDMI cable located in the overhead to the Dish receiver. This will feed the signal only to the main TV inside the coach. For the 30T, to feed to the bedroom TV and to the external TV port, I had to use an RF Modulator. Hope this helps.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Go to Winnebago's site and look up actual wiring diagrams for your unit. They are listed there and are free. I would recommend that you down load all of them and keep them on a thumb drive and or your laptop for future reference.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have the tailgater system. The dish gets it power through the coax from the receiver. Your rig, like most all rigs, has a signal splitter/filter in the coach wiring to split the incoming signal to multiple tv's. That splitter will not allow the power thru to the dish to operate, therefore no picture. I have read there is available on the market, a splitter called a "pass thru" that allows the power thru the system but have not investigated it any further at this point. I am running my coax thru kitchen window presently to roof ladder top where I normally locate the tailgater dish. Summer project looming.
Ltiggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have connected coax from the satellite (tailgater) to the portable satellite connection in the cabinet outside the coach , with box ( reciver ) in cabinet above driver seat hooked up to HDMI cable and coax to reciver from portable satellite connection in cabinet over driver seat . Not enought satellites until I hook up coax from tailgater to back of box ( reciver ), and then I have got satellites and picture but no sound. I know it only is to large tV in living room.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

SuperGewl Thanks ; I have done that , it is hard to follow , I called winnebago and we went over the set up and they say my hook up is right ,they say it is dish and dish say it is Winnebago. I think it may be coach because when I hook up direct to box( reciver ) I can get picture but no sound .
Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

All stellite systems require power to the satellite dish. However if you do that with cable you would dilsturb the neighborhood. The switch for cable/antenna actively blocks any power going outbound into the cable system and thus no satellite hoockup is possible.
If you DO NOT have a separate satellite out and in in your coach the only wayvis to hoock up directly. If there is an out with no in they usually pre-wire for a roof antenna - not a portable one.
Previous 27N have not been prewired and require you to run a new cable to the receiver.
Just my 2 cents,
Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It's odd that when you hook up the Tailgater directly to the Dish Network receiver, you have picture, but no sound. I know with the TV in my Vista, you can actually turn off the sound from the TV menu. How long a coax cable are you using? From the published specs, the 2015 27N has a portable satellite feed from the rear of the coach. Did you try attaching the Dish receiver coax to the roof feed just wondering if the roof and portable coax feeds in the overhead might be switched???
Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

reinerka; as I said in second post ,winnebago Said the way I had it hook up was right, they seem to think they have it wired right. I was wondering if anyone had 2015 27N with same problem. Winnebago told me this coach had proper connection and had been wired for a portable satellite in fact is lable for portable satellite.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm just wondering if the labeling might be switched, where you think you are plugging into the portable satellite feed, but actually plugging to the park cable feed. Same thing in the overhead, if the labeling is incorrect, you might think your plugging into the portable satellite feed, when you might actually be plugging into the roof feed. Just throwing out some possibilities....
Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

dezrtracr; Thanks, I haven't tried that , will give it a try tomorrow . Let you know how it goes.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

dezrtracr ; I know I have sound on TV I have used it a lot . Does your satellite work , as it should with your Vista wiring.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

WV Bum - The Dish Network portable satellite system works great with my Vista 30T coach wiring. It worked exactly as I expected it to. Winegard does not recommend more than a 50' coax cable length between the receiver and the satellite, but including the wiring length within the coach, I was at about 75' to clear trees and the system still worked fine.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2014 Vista 27N that came prewired for a satellite system. It had a outside (in water compartment) "portable" coax satellite connection that went to the drivers side overhead cabinet and a HDMI cable that ran to the main TV. In my case, the coax cable worked fine, but the HDMI cable was bad. I was able to run a temporary HDMI cable to the main TV and everything worked OK, but hooked to the factory installed HDMI cable, nothing happen. The dealer had to install a replacement HDMI cable, and everything is good.

Terry
2014 Vista 27N
twjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Dezrtracr. ; hope I can get my working . I am using the cable that come with the tailgater 50 ', thanks again Twjacks ; bad HDMI cable good me my problem I am going to work on it again tomorrow if not raining . Thanks for the come back.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

WV Bum, Just for reference the roof sat cable has a Org band, the portable sat cable has a Gold band and the cable tv has a Red band. I have heard of them begin connect to the wrong connects on the plates. For the sound problem I would try a different HDMI cable from the sat receiver to the TV.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

27N Satellite connections

WV BUM, when my system wouldn't work using the factory cables I fell back to the jury-rig approach. I connected the portable satellite directly to the satellite receiver, using the satellite's coax cable. I then connected the receiver box to the main TV using my own HDMI cable. At this point I was able to get everything to work. I did have to change the TV's input source to match the HDMI port I was using. I knew then at my satellite, receiver box, and TV all worked as they should.

Then I connected the portable satellite coax cable to the rig's outside satellite connection (in the outside water compartment) and connected the satellite receiver box to the inside "portable satellite" connection in the cabinet above the driver. Everything still worked!

Next I connected the satellite receiver box to the main TV using the factory installed HDMI cable. Nothing worked, even after trying all of the TV's input source choices! I knew that the factory HDMI cable was bad!

The dealer had to do his own test, but did agree that the cable was bad and replaced it.

The 27N entertainment system is complex to say the least, so hang in there.

This method worked for me, I hope you get your going.

Terry
2014 27N Vista
twjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

On a 30T with the TV in the buffet option, the HDMI cable in the overhead connects to a HDMI to Cat 6 converter, then to a Cat 6 to HDMI converter. Really strange.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

That is strange, with a conversion to Cat 6. What did they do with the audio signal? What could be going on there...

Mine is a hot mess. On my (June 2013 build) 2014 27n, there is no HDMI cable in the driver's overhead, even though the wiring diagram says there is. It has a 6-cable color coded component-style cable that is 3/4 inch thick.

This huge cable goes to a splitter box in the center overhead, then branches to 2 really thick cables. One goes to behind the salon TV, when it gets converted to RGB (the computer-type connector with no audio), with some type of converter box. The audio gets sent back to the car radio.

None of this works. The destination of the second cable is unknown.

After several calls to Winnebago, no one there can explain it, either.

What the heck were these people thinking?

I would be interested to know if anyone else has my goofy setup, and what build months got HDMI, and which got this mess...

Thanks!
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, wiring