Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Coach Batteries problems

Hello everyone,

We purchased a 2006 Adventurer Model 38T last year, nice Motorhome and we just love it, but we are having problems with the coach batteries going dead all too quickly. We have it in storage now so after shutting everything off, including the breakers and the main coach switch, and using a volt meter, there is still a draw of 0.6 amps, when I reconnect the negative wires to the post there is a spark, so obviously there is still a fairly heavy draw of power from something.

Would anyone know what it could be?? or on how to trace it?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Roger
Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Steps possibly
tzensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Site Team

I've have also heard the steps draw a current if they are in the on position.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Without a "disconnect switch" I would simply disconnect the batteries.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On my 2005 Itasca Meridian I only need to switch off the house battery up front. I must disconnect the classic battery as I can't find the source of the current draw. It ain't just the steps!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Question Coach Batteries Problems

Thanks for the replies. I have the motor battery disconnected also so the steps are not working.

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi, well I just use the Aux battery switch. Previously when my house batteries were old, and required constant attention to the water level AND if the water level drops the batteries will quickly die and become useless. Your water level goes below the top of the lead plates for very long and you will kill the battery. I had this issues for years. Dead house batteries!
Then I switched to Lifeline AGM sealed batteries! Wow what a difference! No mess, no fuss, no dead house batteries, no always checking water levels, no acid corrosion in the compartment. Expensive, but worth every penny! Going on 4 years now with not one issue!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courseur View Post
Hello everyone,

We purchased a 2006 Adventurer Model 38T last year, nice Motorhome and we just love it, but we are having problems with the coach batteries going dead all too quickly. We have it in storage now so after shutting everything off, including the breakers and the main coach switch, and using a volt meter, there is still a draw of 0.6 amps, when I reconnect the negative wires to the post there is a spark, so obviously there is still a fairly heavy draw of power from something.
Would anyone know what it could be?? or on how to trace it?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks Roger
Courseur
When you say "coach batteries" do you mean the "house batteries" or the "chassis/starting batteries"?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem and even replaced the starting battery but the problem continued. Was told the steps draw a current when left on so took to disconnecting all the battery leads for lay up and have had no more problems. Never could trace what the current draw was. It's kind of a pain but I flipped the starting pos clamp over and rearranged the leads going to it and it made it a lot easier to take the lead off. Don't touch the wrench to the chassis or you'll get a nice wake-up call. Duh
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

By coach batteries I mean the house batteries.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrprn View Post
I had a similar problem and even replaced the starting battery but the problem continued. Was told the steps draw a current when left on so took to disconnecting all the battery leads for lay up and have had no more problems. Never could trace what the current draw was. It's kind of a pain but I flipped the starting pos clamp over and rearranged the leads going to it and it made it a lot easier to take the lead off. Don't touch the wrench to the chassis or you'll get a nice wake-up call. Duh
cdrprn
If your steps "draw a current" and drain the batteries "when left on" why not simply simply turn the steps OFF.... (rather than disconnecting the batteries for "lay up")?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

In reply #5 I forgot to mention that if you have surround sound, which battery position it is in effect which battery bank it draws current from. The surround sound always draws power from whichever battery bank its selected to. I make it a point to select the house batteries so that when I turn the battery switch up front off it off also.

I know someone is going to jump in and tell me if all the audio units are off its not powered, but, if you stand next to a speaker when it's quiet you can hear the faint hiss. I say it's still powered.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Reply to all

Thank you very much for all your help but unfortunately I'm no closer to finding the answer. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Do like I have to do. Turn off the house battery by the switch up front. Go back to the batteries and physically disconnect the chassis batteries. Batteries don't drain.

Tags
batteries, ems, problems