Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Coach batteries

2002 winnebago sightseer if there is no inverter/charger how does the coach batteries maintain their charge when plugged into shore power ? any info. will help. Thanks
yostfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Are you sure you don't have a converter ? My 01 Chieftain had a converter that charged the house batteries but not the chassis.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

so it takes place at the converter. how does it know when the batteries are fully charged
Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostfj View Post
2002 winnebago sightseer if there is no inverter/charger how does the coach batteries maintain their charge when plugged into shore power ? any info. will help. Thanks
yostfj,
First off, about 99% of the Diesel units out there, come with "Inverter/Chargers" of some type and size. While most Gas coaches, typically come with a "Converter/Charger" of some type and size. This is why I always advise folks to "get to know their coaches" when and after they purchase them. This is not meant to be derogatory or, in any way, demeaning. The more you know about your coach, the more you understand it and how each and every system works. And, the more you know about all those, the easier it is, to analyze issues, if and when they crop up.

Now, as for your coach, I'm not all that familiar with that model but, if I'm not mistaken, it's a gas unit, correct? And if so, then, you should, by all means, have at least a "Converter" in it. And, like stated, most Converters also incorporate, a Charging system built into them. If you have any paperwork or, manuals of any type, look into them and see if you can find info on the converter or, Converter/Charger.

Now, with all that being said, an Inverter/charger or, Converter/charger DOES charge the house batteries, when plugged into shore power or, also when the generator is running but, not always. Again, you'll have to see just what model you have. And, some converter/chargers, are not as "smart" as others. In other words, some will over charge house batteries and literally boil them out of fluids.

While others, have "smart" chargers built into them. In that, they notice the amount of charge being applied and, how much voltage etc. is being accepted then, they start to back off until it's just a trickle charge and or, a "battery maintaining charge" of some type. So, again, dig around in your paperwork to see what you've got.

Those Converter/chargers are not that easy to hide either. So, a bit of looking around should reveal it, unless it's inside a panel or, buried in a hidden compartment someplace. Good luck and report what you find.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

According to the 2002 Sightseer Brochure you should have a 45-amp converter/charger. Although it's not clear from the Body, 12 Volt Wiring Installation for your coach, I would suspect that it's located under the stove behind the load center.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It's probably worth noting that that the units that have significant inverters built in also have battery banks capable of supplying a couple of hundred amps for some hours to run the inverters and much larger charging capacity to maintain them. Smaller units like anything with a 45 A converter charger do not have the battery capacity to supply a very big inverter let alone run one for any length of time. In short the big guys flip a switch and us little guys start the generator if we need much AC.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

As you have found there should be a device called a Converter.

As to how it knows when they are charged. That depends, somewhat, on the make and model.. But I will summarize

Magnetek 6300 and others like it: They do not and continue to charge thus boiling the batteries dry (Flooded wet cells) fairly quickly

Parallex 7300.. It does not either, but due to better voltage regulation should not boil 'em dry like it's older sibling above (Parallex bought Magnetek).

Long list of 3-stage converters such as The Progressive Dynamics wizard controlled models.

They check the voltage.. If it is LOW they go into BOOST mode, this is a fairly heavy charge which usually lasts no more than a couple hours,, During this phase they are monitoring voltage.. Then they go into Absorption,, in this phase they monitor current.. DEPENDING on the control program voltage may change.. WHen the current drops far enough they go into FLOAT mode because.. Battery full.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all of you , everyone was on point, I knew about my converter the inverter / charger threw me off with all said i do not have so back to the original issue of possibly over charging the house batt. I replaced them yesterday . old one's were definitly fried , a little neglect on my part, ill keep a close eye on the charging process with the new one's Thanks again
Old 08-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Bought preowned, so some paper work and manuals vanished i do have the Magnetek 6300 Q converter
Old 08-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

An old converter/charger can also over charge the house batteries. I replaced the original charger in my RV with the following: PowerMax PM4B-60 (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger).
PowerMax is working great...just be sure to look for one with a similar AMP load as the one your replacing.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries