Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Coach 12 volt switch

We are currently "storing" our 2018 ERA 170M in our driveway and are connected to 30 AMP. We generally have the 12 volt coach switch (located just inside the sliding door) in the off position. I turn the 12 volt switch on periodically to check the state of our batteries and then turn back off. Yesterday, the switch would not turn off - stayed on. Temperature was about 10F.

Tried again today, temperature was about 30F and still would not shut off. I started the engine and ran a small electric heater for about 30 minutes. 12 volt switch would still not turn off, though I did hear noise, like a solenoid working when I tried.

Anyone else have this issue? Is it the cold weather? Is there a solution other than a new switch?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Silverwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We don't get the best drawings for chasing electrical on the post 2010 models so can I do some guessing and let you check my ideas?
First I mihgt ask a couple questions. When you say the switch would not turn off, how are you getting the idea that ist is not turning off? From the feel as it doesn't snap like a normal switch? Many of these switches are a momentary switch which doesn't snap and stay but only makes contact as long as we hold it and then goes back when we release it. One can get the feeling the switch is bad because it doesn't stay turned on!

What made me ask is the part where you say you hear something when moving the switch. What I am used to seeing in the battery disconnect swith is a momentary switch which uses battery power to move a relay ( you might hear it move?) and then when we release the switch,it stops using power to avoid running down the battery while we boondock.

So if you are hearing something like the relay move,it is possible the switch is doing it's job, but there is more.

If the switch makes the relay move but the relay doesn't stay eitehr turned on or turned off, then the relay may be the problem. What I am thinking should happen is that there is a special relay called a "latching relay" which moves when powered buthas a magnet gizmo to keep it in the last postion it moves to!

Does this click or noise seem to come from the area under the passenger seat? That is where the battery disconnect relay sets!

Kind of fishing in the dark as we don't get good info on the newer RV but this is the sytem used on older and seems to be some version on the newer RV.

See if any of that makes sense for what you see and let us know if we need to search further? Weds is the day when my computer gets all the new "improvements" that mess me up for a week and they are doing it now!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

The switch has a green light when power is on to the coach. The green light doesn't turn off when I press off. Also, the light in the refrigerator stays on.

The noise I heard is near the switch - not under the passenger seat.

Temperature now is about 30F - headed to near zero the next couple of days so I don't plan on pursuing further until it warms up.

Thank you.
Silverwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had a coach battery switch in which the light stayed on ,but it turned off what it was suppose to. Replace switch and all is good. Does switch turn off what is is suppose to,and light stays on? Might be switch.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I guess I would have to recommend pulling the switch to see if it has broken down and making noise rather than actually moving the contacts.

However, I did a check of the drawing for what might be near to hear and there is one small relay shown which might besomething to considerif it clicks like a small relay or if it sound more like a broken switch?

Sounds and where and what are funky to try to sort, so thought Imight suggest it the idea?

Yes, weather is definitely a factor . For us here in the Central Texas area it seems nice and warm when one looks from a distance.
But the downside is it gets too stinking hot to breathe for much of the year!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #6
Cabin On Wheels

Earl here,
Do you have your RV plugged into house current?
If so I know my switch will not turn off if I have it plugged into house current.
But as soon as i unplug it all works normal.
Earl
DukerDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #7
Wheelcrazy

My 2017 Aspect work the same way. If plugged in to 110 the disconnect switch stays on. The Era is probably the same.

Tags
12 volt, switch