Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

CO alarm

We have a 2005 Winnebago Suncruiser 37B. On a trip to the GNR I stopped to overnight at a truck stop. I ran the generator for powering the AC. The CO alarm (on the ceiling of the back bedroom) came on. I normally run the generator while underway to a destination on hot days to cool the coach and have had no problems (I assume the wind blew the exhaust gas away). This is the third instance where the CO alarm has come on and those other two were instances where we were in a campground that had lost power. I took a look at the bottom side of the generator and there is no obvious holes in the muffler or exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe sticks out on a sort of diagonal on the back driver side corner. The generator is in in the back on the drivers side and there is a bedroom slide back wall about 4 feet forward of the exhaust pipe and a tilt out emergency escape window 4 feet above the above the exhaust pipe. In all three cases the back bedroom slide on the drivers side was out and all windows closed. I am wondering if I might have a window "sealing" problem or a slide seal problem? Has any one else had this experience?.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The life of a CO2 alarm is approx. 7 years. Yours most likely has aged out.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Well, it only comes on after the generator has been running for a hour or two. I open the windows and put on the fans and remove the battery from the co alarm, and then re install the after a couple hours. It has only gone off three times and all three were when the generator was running.

Does the age of the CO alarms really affect them?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
Well, it only comes on after the generator has been running for a hour or two. I open the windows and put on the fans and remove the battery from the co alarm, and then re install the after a couple hours. It has only gone off three times and all three were when the generator was running.

Does the age of the CO alarms really affect them?
Sure it does that's why it has a age limit
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

There are two things you may want to do.
1. Replace the CO2 monitor
2. Get your self a Gen Turi to hook up and make sure the exhaust gas is running away from the MH.

As you stated when driving the air flow will normally push/pull it away from the coach but when sitting still you need to take into account the direction and/or lack of wind.

Get a can of this Home Safeguard CARBON MONOXIDE and test your CO2 alarm to see if it's still good.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The life of a CO2 alarm is approx. 7 years. Yours most likely has aged out.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Quote:
There are two things you may want to do.
1. Replace the CO2 monitor
2. Get your self a Gen Turi to hook up and make sure the exhaust gas is running away from the MH.

As you stated when driving the air flow will normally push/pull it away from the coach but when sitting still you need to take into account the direction and/or lack of wind.

Get a can of this Home Safeguard CARBON MONOXIDE and test your CO2 alarm to see if it's still good.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
so many experts - I am selling my alarm business this september after 35 years of designing and install sophisticated systesm -so I WILL SPEAK WITH KNOWLEDGE.

A CO detectors age is important and may range from 5 years to 10 years before you should retire the device. It depends on the specific manufacture and MODEL. not all device can be tested with canned gas. it must be done in strict compliance with the MFG test instruction. I test over 400 units a year.

If you question the device go to HD and get a new detector. if they both go off you better start looking for a leak somewhere in the exhaust system or the path of entry.

I agree with you that if it only is tripping with the generator running then it must be associated with the exhaust of that device.