Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Clearance Lights on Your Winnebago - A Tip

If you have a Class A gasser from the mid-2000's (I don't know about others) you have 5 recessed clearance lights on the top of the front cap. Most likely these have been re-sealed at one time or another, which probably means some quick silicone sealant around the seams.

But if you have to remove the lights to replace bulbs or any other reason, use some caution. The light is screwed into a metal frame that has been epoxied into the light cavity which is molded into the fiberglass cap. This was not the greatest design (actually a pretty bad one), but it is what Winnebago did.

The problem is the metal frame. It may be badly rusted, and you may be tempted to remove and replace it. DON'T. The metal frames are no longer available. I know. I found out the hard way.

I took out the two worst rusted ones before I learned they just are not available anywhere. So I had to recondition them as much as possible and epoxy them back into place. I used JB Weld SteelStik.

Here are before and after photos from my 2006 Voyage - not pretty, but what you see is what you get.

BEFORE
Here is the light cavity with the metal frame removed and before the cleaning up, which includes removing the old epoxy and all the old silicone sealant.

AFTER
The frame has been re-attached with epoxy. The epoxy was used liberally to strengthen a very rusted and weakened mounting frame. The next step will put a bed of sealant around the inside edge of the cavity and replace the light.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Brackets for my '99 Adventurer was part # 131392-01-02B which I purchased from Lichtsinn in 2015 @$9 ea. I know I had a hard time finding the part $
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al10453 View Post
Brackets for my '99 Adventurer was part # 131392-01-02B which I purchased from Lichtsinn in 2015 @$9 ea. I know I had a hard time finding the part $
I will have to search to see if the retrofit to my 94 adventurer. All mine work but a couple need some TLC and replacement would be easier. Thankfully the little leaking problem got fixed when I had to have the windshield replaced.

Just left a voicemail with Lonnie at the above business to see if these parts are interchangeable. Thanks for the lead.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al10453 View Post
I'm glad that worked for you. Lichtsinn didn't work for me. I did buy some brackets from Winnebago Parts on a flyer as she had no picture of the part. It was not the correct one.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Don for the heads up. Rarely drive at night so haven't noticed any clearance lights issues except gunk build-up around the lenses. 07 Voyage and love it. Appreciate the pictures.

Phil
Old 02-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks my lights look the same. not as bad as yours, but how did you get the bulb back into the light fixture, my wires are tight no room for play.
Eastwind279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi - Can you show a picture with a light attached? I'm trying to compare it to what we have on our journey.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi - Can you show a picture with a light attached? I'm trying to compare it to what we have on our journey.

Thanks
I am in So California, I sealed it up before the big rain, no pictures but it looked just like the pictures from Don at the beginning of this thread. When I pulled off the light, the bulb separated from the fixture. I guess I will have to buy a new clearance light
and just cut and extend the wires.
Eastwind279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have read threads where an owner did his mounting repair on a clearance light fixture and then, as a final step, drilled a weep hole in the bottom of the lens at reassembly. (Some respondents said they had actually seen water "sloshing" inside the fixtures on their rigs when they went out and inspected them!) Would that extra lens-drilling step apply here? Heck, maybe even as a "preemptive strike"? Just wonderin'
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, winnebago