Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Classic Mistake

Oh man, I made a classic mistake. I tried to install a new radio in my 97 Vectra and blew some fuses. I was able to track down the radio's fuse that blew and I replaced it. Unfortunately, that didn't fix my problem. The radio still does not work, and my dash lights are not working either. I was able to also track down the "illumination lights" fuse and it seemed fine. I took the voltmeter to it and nothing, no voltage. I replaced the fuse, put the voltmeter to it again, and still nothing. I put the voltmeter directly to the fuse's connector, and it also is not giving any voltage.

So, now I have no idea how to proceed. I have searched the forums for hours, which has led me to check and recheck every fuse. Any further help would be very much appreciated.
FarmerBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If your coach was anything like mine, fuses were located in several places. Check for the dash lighting fuse again, but look in out of the way places. Under the dash? Up front under the hood? In the electrical compartment? I'm betting you still have a fuse blown that controls the dash lighting. You just need to go on a hunt to find it.

Good luck, and welcome!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The BCC ( battery control center ) in my Fleetwood has two 12 v circuit breakers. I had to reset them once ( don't ask ). Maybe Winnebagos have them as well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
The BCC ( battery control center ) in my Fleetwood has two 12 v circuit breakers. I had to reset them once ( don't ask ). Maybe Winnebagos have them as well.
Why did you have to reset the breakers? (Doesn't it always make you want to know what someone is hiding when they say "don't ask"?)
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I was about to install a new converter and before I disconnected the batteries , I wanted to see what size Allen wrench I needed. That's when the sparks started to fly.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the replies. I will keep looking for more fuses. There is a 12 volt breaker box with 10 small push type breakers. The one that is labeled "radio" is fine, but the Air Horn breaker is tripped and will not reset for more than a few seconds. I have no idea if the air horn was working before my radio debacle.

If the fuse that controls the dash lights is not receiving any voltage at all, is it usually because another fuse has blown ?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

Since you keep tripping the air horn breaker, I'd disconnect the wire at the air horn solenoid to see if that's causing the trouble. You might have to cut the wire, just leave enough to splice it back together.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The Winnebago website has wiring diagrams for your Vectra ...

Vectra wiring
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I was able to disconnect the connections to the Air Horn's compressor, but the breaker tripped again after a reset. I checked the ground connections to the air horn, and found they also connect to my fog lamps. One of my fog lamps is out, but the grounds seem good.

I have looked at the wiring diagrams and am no less stumped.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

OK, I've fixed the problem. I took the dash off and found behind the radio a small fuse and filter box with two blown glass fuses. The air horn is still not working, but that is a battle for another day.

Thank you again to everyone that posted a reply. You all have given me a very warm welcome. I will be sure to pay all of your kindness forward.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the update. Glad you fixed it.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I too am glad you got her back up and running. And to think, look at how much you saved by doing it yourself! Sure, you may have done the "classic mistake" but who hasn't

Now, lets get the air horn fixed..... A man has to have a air horn

I just love you statement about paying forward.