Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Class A dilemma

We are getting a used Class A but it's a toss up as to which one.

I would appreciate any feedback you could give me on this one.

- 2004 Winnebago Brave 32 - 35,461 miles - $29,995 or
- 2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V - 71,200 miles - $19,995

Both have the exact same floor plan but different exteriors and both are in great shape.

There is a difference in price of $10,000.

Thanks for your feedback.
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If it were me and the both units are in good shape, and you like them equally, I'd by the 2004. Two years newer, and a whole lot fewer miles on the gas engine. I'd also go to rvt.com and look for units on sale elsewhere to get a better handle on what others are selling for.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If it were me and the both units are in good shape, and you like them equally, I'd by the 2004. Two years newer, and a whole lot fewer miles on the gas engine. I'd also go to rvt.com and look for units on sale elsewhere to get a better handle on what others are selling for.
+1

Also check out PPL to see if they've sold any and the selling price.
Used Diesel Motor Homes Sold - PPL Motor Homes
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

A lot depends on your ability to resolve issues that will come up. Both have set for extended periods of time. What service intervals have been recorded? Have they been used for the majority of the last 10-12 years or stored? If stored, How? Indoors, in a field, in a cave?
Are you going to have a certified tech thoroughly check all systems? What is the the condition of the tires.............not tread.....weathering? Have you checked the production date on the sidewalls? Roof inspection?
Lots more to evaluate than how nice they look.
Good luck
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the replies. I know both are being sold by large RV dealers and were serviced. I'll be looking at both of them in February and will go with the one in the best condition and take them for a test drive.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Make sure the dealer demonstrates correct function of every RV and automotive item (refrigerator, water pump, all faucets, shower, furnace, roof A/C, Stove, microwave, engine heater & A/C, windshield wiper/washers headlights, brake lights, clearance lights, emergency brake, generator, etc). Don't take their word that "the previous owner said everything works" Also, check date codes on all tires. If over 7 years old, either negotiate new tires or a price allowance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
Thanks for the replies. I know both are being sold by large RV dealers and were serviced. I'll be looking at both of them in February and will go with the one in the best condition and take them for a test drive.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When new base price
Itasca $96,694
Low retail to high today $26,529-$31,968

Winnebago $104,685
Low retail to high today $37,723-$45,458

If both are Ford powered it is a toss up.
But if one has the Chevy engine with the Allison, that would be my pick if nothing else wrong.

Either way looks like a dealing for a little lower price on either one you like, on seeing and driving could be had. Especially if new tires are needed.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The dealer demo of all items is important. We noted a rough running generator on our used unit that only had 60 hrs on gen so not used much. Dealer ended up having to put new carburetor on it for over $800 including trouble shooting. We checked it prior to making an offer and noted it in the offer along with some other items and all had to be taken care of.

Lots of opinions on motor and chassis make and some are definitely legit but if you choose strictly on a motor or chassis and ignore floor plan/amenities your RV experience may not be fun and you will probably end up looking for another unit if you enjoy RVing. Conversely having a lemon of a motor isn't fun either-bottom line no pat answer except to do as much due dillegence you can and have faith in the dealers reputation if purchasing from one
Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

The Winnebago Brave 32, which is the one I'm leaning toward, has the Chevy Workhorse engine and they are going to check the condition of the tires for me. Going to look at it tomorrow. The dealer told me they performed maintenance on it when it came in on trade including oil change and function of everything (heater, a/c, fridge, etc.) Can't wait to check it out.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

'Dealer told me' doesn't mean a thing. Have him show you. Age of the tired more important than condition. I guarantee they will have good tread and the dealer will say they have many more miles left😡.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Make sure the brake recall has been done if that year was subject to it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

As a price point, our '02 Georgetown 32' Class A with only 18,000 miles from new, was sold a few weeks ago on consignment for $23,700. It was on a Ford F53 chassis with the V-10, had a 5.5KVA Onan generator and was in in excellent shape, particularly the interior. Both we and the original owners were retirees when we owned it. We had dogs (two Labradors). Everything worked like it should - we replaced the fridge 18 months ago. The rubber roof had been re-sealed a few months ago and we'd taken care of a few minor mechanical replacements (front shocks, accessory belts and such).

Not having owned a Workhorse-based rig, I don't know for sure when the chassis got a full-width front suspension. The early ones had a front track that was the same as the inner duallies. We decided not to pursue a WH rig because of the issues with Autopark.

In our part of the world, we have a very moderate climate, so there were no salt-related corrosion issues. Whatever salt we get is brought by the wind, not the highway department! Our house is across the street from a salt-water marina.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
+1

Also check out PPL to see if they've sold any and the selling price.
Used Diesel Motor Homes Sold - PPL Motor Homes
I agree with the 2004 choice. PPL is a good resource for pricing, so is RV Trader, RVT or just google each model for pricing.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I guess if we're throwing our $.02 cents worth in.. I'll give it a shot..

I have one question; Is this your first RV?

If it is... I would suggest taking the 2002 and "banking" the money (I know you didn't say if you were paying cash or not, so I'm going to assume you are)..

As many have said.. there WILL be items which need maintenance.. sooner than you think.. I would save the $10K in purchase price, but bank about $4K into a savings account... We'll call it your "warranty" account.. Also, PLEASE (as has been mentioned), look at the date codes of the tires.. DO NOT look at the tread.. just because a tire "looks" to have tread, doesn't mean they have "plenty of miles left"... ask me how I know...

If this isn't your first RV.. well then.. I guess it's really up to you.. You already know what you're getting into.. you know the issues you will experience and I'm guessing you already have some basic mechanical skills...

All things being equal (as you've said).. I personally don't think the chassis should be a huge deal breaker.. I know it may be for some.. but ultimately, you live in the RV, you don't live in the chassis.. they're important (make sure about weight ratings and such) but you need to be happy living on top of them, as that is where you will spend the majority of your time..

I wish you the best of luck and please post pictures when you make a decision.. We LOVE pictures on this forum..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

We bought a 2004 Brave 30 with Workhorse/Chevy 3 years ago and have loved it.

Had 25,000 miles
Replaced tires due to age.
Check out the FMAC.com Michelin Advantage Program. Saves Hundreds of dollars.

Replaced the Dash AC Compressor -$$$

Needed the Workhorse Brake Caliper Recall – zero dollars.

Routine maintenance.

Very Happy.
Penguin Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The Winnebago Brave 32, which is the one I'm leaning toward, has the Chevy Workhorse engine and they are going to check the condition of the tires for me. Going to look at it tomorrow. The dealer told me they performed maintenance on it when it came in on trade including oil change and function of everything (heater, a/c, fridge, etc.) Can't wait to check it out.
How did things go?
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I know both are being sold by large RV dealers and were serviced.
I won't go into a long discussion here as I have a previous thread regarding this very issue of 'trust', but I can tell you first-hand that large RV dealers aren't always what they seem. Long story short, my father-in-law bought a used 2006 Winnebago Sightseer from a multi-state mega-dealer, one that inspected and made repairs AFTER being sold, but BEFORE he took physical delivery. Do to replacing a chipped windshield (one side), the dealer knew first-hand that it had the dreaded Winnebago windshield leak and windshield frame rust, but since it can cost up to $4,000 for a complete repair, buttoned it up and NEVER said a word.

Which, by the way, both model-year motorhomes you are looking at fall right into the era of rusted windshield frames. Part of your inspection will need to include pulling away the reveal molding all around the windshield, including the piece down the middle, and look for any sign of rust and metal frame damage. Unfortunately, I have to tell you that even then you won't know the true condition of the frame without pulling out the glass. If you're not aware of this issue, please do a search of 'windshield rust' here and any other RV forums that you might subscribe to...

The rust in this photo is only one spot of many that went all the way around the complete frame, any of which can cause extensive and damaging leaks into the cab, down the inside windshield, onto the dash, etc. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9347.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	84553  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We are getting a used Class A but it's a toss up as to which one.

I would appreciate any feedback you could give me on this one.

- 2004 Winnebago Brave 32 - 35,461 miles - $29,995 or
- 2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V - 71,200 miles - $19,995

Both have the exact same floor plan but different exteriors and both are in great shape.

There is a difference in price of $10,000.

Thanks for your feedback.
I go with the consensus. Gassers are more susceptible to problems as the mileage goes up. Mileage on a DP is less of an issue. Overall condition is the major consideration in that case.

What about the tires? Are they new or original? For either rig you will need to replace them if they are originals.

Tags
class a