Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Circuit breaker on Inverter pops

When I run the coffee pot and the toaster at the same time, the circuit breaker on the Dimensions inverter pops and we lose all 120v power inside the coach. This is when we are plugged in to shore power. We have a Dimensions Win12x20B3RT inverter on our 2006 Meridian 36G.

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
When I run the coffee pot and the toaster at the same time, the circuit breaker on the Dimensions inverter pops and we lose all 120v power inside the coach. This is when we are plugged in to shore power. We have a Dimensions Win12x20B3RT inverter on our 2006 Meridian 36G.
You might consider this old post: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/dime...tem-47929.html

In my opinion, any modified sine wave inverter is trouble waiting to happen. In this "new to me" coach I have a Magnum true sine wave inverter. This coach requires the 2800 watt model because of the residential refrigerator. I also have 6 AGM batteries to run the inverter on when needed.

I just checked your wiring diagram (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_153624.pdf) You have a 600 watt inverter. No way can you expect to run a toaster and coffee maker at the same time. In your owners manuals you have the power ratings listed for different appliances. If you consider that 8.3 amps is required for 1000 watts you can see that you are overloading your inverter. Good or bad product is not the issue here. Asking too much of it is. Try a plug that is not inverter fed for the pot. Mornings won't be as stressful.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Hardy
That is not unusual, and certainly nothing to worry about)...(a coffee pot and toaster combined draw more amps than the circuit breaker can handle).
If we run our microwave and forget to turn off our electric space heater the same thing happens.
When all is said and done you will realize that common sense energy management solves a lot of what you at first see as electrical problems.
(BTW, you can make coffee on the propane cook top and make toast in an electric toaster at the same time).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Doctor doctor, it hurts when I do this. Answer. Don't do that.

The power passes through the inverter breakers and are being over loaded. Coffee pot and toaster are huge power hogs. I have to use a small extension cord to pick up another outlet.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
In my opinion, any modified sine wave inverter is trouble waiting to happen.
Rick Y
Rick
The OP is not having an inverter problem.
He is having a problem managing his shore power energy usage, (which is causing a 120VAC circuit breaker on his inverter to trip).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We solved that problem in our last MH with one of these. http://www.costco.com/Capresso-10-cu...100080682.html

Once the coffee is made there is no heating element to draw power and the coffee stay hot for 3 hours without any power draw. Great for boondocking as well as power management and makes great coffee too. For traveling we make a pot before leaving then the carafe sits on the floor between us, no more thermos to carry and fill.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
We solved that problem in our last MH with one of these. http://www.costco.com/Capresso-10-cu...100080682.html

Once the coffee is made there is no heating element to draw power and the coffee stay hot for 3 hours without any power draw. Great for boondocking as well as power management and makes great coffee too. For traveling we make a pot before leaving then the carafe sits on the floor between us, no more thermos to carry and fill.
brobox
That electric coffee maker will solve nothing if/when it is making coffee at the same time as a toaster is being used.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
brobox
That electric coffee maker will solve nothing if/when it is making coffee at the same time as a toaster is being used.
We set the timer on ours so no issues with it drawing current when we are awake. Using the carafe pot of course. Nice to take it outside to the table and have it stay hot.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well I had that problem on my Journey and the fix was just replacing the breaker, easy. I've found out they don't last forever. Try that its cheep and easy to do even for a guy that dosn't do electric.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
When I run the coffee pot and the toaster at the same time, the circuit breaker on the Dimensions inverter pops
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Well I had that problem on my Journey and the fix was just replacing the breaker, easy. I've found out they don't last forever. Try that its cheep and easy to do even for a guy that doesn't do electric.
RayJr
Have you ever had to replace a breaker ON a Dimensions inverter?
I agree that replacing a breaker IN the electrical panel of a RV is an easy job.
However, IMO, replacing the breakers ON a Dimensions inverter is definitely not "easy", (especially for a guy that doesn't do electric).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick
The OP is not having an inverter problem.
He is having a problem managing his shore power energy usage, (which is causing a 120VAC circuit breaker on his inverter to trip).
Mel
'96 Safari
I understand this Mel. I am speaking from knowing the design parameters of a MSW inverter. They generate a square wave or saw tooth and then filter it to make it look like a TSW like we get from the power company. The problem being with this inverter type is that the equipment it is running is not getting the full power it needs and there are frequencies other than 60HZ that are leaking through. I found out on this forum that the MSW inverter could damage a residential electric blanket.

I had a MSW inverter in my last two coaches. The microwave seemed to always strain when when I used it. On the last coach I upgraded to a TSW inverter and the microwave did not sound the same and the food cooked quicker.

In my youth I studied the differences between these types of power sources while in college. The available, usable, power in the MSW is not as great as with the TSW.

Please forgive me for not going into this detail on my earlier post. I was rushing. I hope I have clarified my statement and understanding of the topic.

Of all the inverters on the market my PREFERENCE is Magnum TSW products. (Ford or Chevy?) But, you pay the price for quality, true.

Rick Y
Old 06-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I'm confused....how can the inverter be in play when the OP says they are on shore power when the breaker pops?
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

That's a 2000 watt inverter. No way a 600 watt inverter should be wired to anything other than entertainment stuff. But a 2000 watt could very well be wired to many outlets. Still 2000 watts is not enough for a toaster and a coffee pot at the same time. Even on shore power, it still goes through the inverter's circuit breaker.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #14

Quote:
When I run the coffee pot and the toaster at the same time, the circuit breaker on the Dimensions inverter pops and we lose all 120v power inside the coach. This is when we are plugged in to shore power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I understand this Mel. I am speaking from knowing the design parameters of a MSW inverter. They generate a square wave or saw tooth and then filter it to make it look like a TSW like we get from the power company. The problem being with this inverter type is that the equipment it is running is not getting the full power it needs and there are frequencies other than 60HZ that are leaking through. I found out on this forum that the MSW inverter could damage a residential electric blanket.
I had a MSW inverter in my last two coaches. The microwave seemed to always strain when when I used it. On the last coach I upgraded to a TSW inverter and the microwave did not sound the same and the food cooked quicker.
The available, usable, power in the MSW is not as great as with the TSW.
Please forgive me for not going into this detail on my earlier post. I was rushing. I hope I have clarified my statement and understanding of the topic.
Rick Y
Rick
That is great inverter information, however, the topic of this tread is:
A circuit breaker on a Dimensions inverter that pops when a coffee maker and toaster are used at the same time.... while the coach is plugged into shore power... (NOT inverter power).

Exactly what in that excellent inverter lesson explains why the circuit breaker on the OP's inverter trips when a coffee maker and toaster are used at the same time on shore power?

I don't see the connection?

Thanks
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
I'm confused....how can the inverter be in play when the OP says they are on shore power when the breaker pops?
Lt46

The only connection between the inverter and the OP's problem is the fact that a breaker ON the inverter pops/trips.....since shore power simply passes through that breaker on it's way into the coach, I don't believe that the inverter itself has anything to do with the OP's problem.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
brobox
It's all about load management, this keeps coffee hot without using power. We have the timer set on ours and the coffee is made when we get up, plug the toaster in with no more popping breakers...sure solved our problem. No need to have both on at the same time.....modern convenience are great if used right.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Good question Peter. Many coaches have circuits dedicated to the inverter. If the inverter is not equipped with an internal transfer switch, to bring shore power to the outlets, the inverter is always "inverting" DC to AC and the loads are subject to the limitations of the inverter. In the world of pure resistance, 8.3 amps is equivalent to 1000 watts. So, a 2000 watt inverter should have 16.6 amps available. In theory that is. Check out this chart I found and do the math for yourself: Appliance typical power consumption information. That 600 watt inverter the OP is using just won't cut it.

Hope I have answered your question satisfactorily and accurately.

Rick Y
Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Rick,
I agree with your theory but it is much simpler. The inverter is not even "on," it is merely the 120 volts from the shore power going through the inverter to the sockets that is tripping the 30 Amp breaker (in the inverter) that is causing the problem. It has nothing to do with the capacity of the inverter; it is OFF; and not functional when connected to shore power. I used to laugh because even though I had a 30 Amp circuit breaker in the panel, it was the tiny push button (30 Amp) fuse in the inverter (in the compartment) that would trip when I had too much load in the kitchen. A toaster and a coffee maker are just too much for a little 30 Amp fuse. They need to do one, then the other.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
RayJr
Have you ever had to replace a breaker ON a Dimensions inverter?
I agree that replacing a breaker IN the electrical panel of a RV is an easy job.
However, IMO, replacing the breakers ON a Dimensions inverter is definitely not "easy", (especially for a guy that doesn't do electric).
Mel
'96 Safari
On the Journey the power passes through the Xantrex inverter and it was easy to replace the breaker. Just removed the mounting screws holding it down moved it over where I could remove the cover screws and wala the breaker was right there. I don't do electric so I had enough sence to unplug the coach first.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Somebody wanted to know what the inverter had to do with shore power?? Well on my coach, Journey, the shore power passes through the Xantrex inverter. It died once and I had to bypass it while in Florida for 2 mts.

Tags
inverter