Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Lt46

The only connection between the inverter and the OP's problem is the fact that a breaker ON the inverter pops/trips.....since shore power simply passes through that breaker on it's way into the coach, I don't believe that the inverter itself has anything to do with the OP's problem.
Mel
'96 Safari
I am "assuming" the OP is talking about the output/AC breaker which is sized for the inverter. In his case it is probably a 10 amp push button reset breaker. Only he can answer this question.

I have not missed the topic once Mel. I don't know why you insist that I am off topic. The circuits on the output of the inverter can only load the invert to its rated value, even on shore power. And the smaller inverters don't always have a built in transfer switch to pass the shore power "around" the inverter. Yet, if it does have one, the same output breaker is used.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Interesting discussion. Thanks for the education Mel and Rick.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am "assuming" the OP is talking about the output/AC breaker which is sized for the inverter. In his case it is probably a 10 amp push button reset breaker. Only he can answer this question.

I have not missed the topic once Mel. I don't know why you insist that I am off topic. The circuits on the output of the inverter can only load the invert to its rated value, even on shore power. And the smaller inverters don't always have a built in transfer switch to pass the shore power "around" the inverter. Yet, if it does have one, the same output breaker is used.
jerichorick
You aren't the only one that replies to forum questions with irrelevant information based on assumptions, (I often do as well).
Sometimes the information in the OP is so incomplete, obtuse and confusing that assuming is necessary.
However, in this case Hardy's info was complete and spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
When I run the coffee pot and the toaster at the same time, the circuit breaker on the Dimensions inverter pops and we lose all 120v power inside the coach. This is when we are plugged into shore power.
I'm sorry that I irritated you, that was not my intent.

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Circuit breaker is most likely 15 amp, and you do not loose all 120 volt, only the outlets powered by the inverter.

Turn the toaster upside down, (Note, do this outside please so the crumbs fall where the birds can clean them up for you) and read the information there,, WATTS: ######

Same for the EMPTY coffee maker,, NOTE depending on the coffee maker it might be on the back. My Keurig is 1200 watts as I recall.

Now add 'em together

120*15 = 1800,, If your total is greater than 1800 that's your problem, NOTE: if other things Power down when the breaker trips (TV, Radio, Sat receiver) Include their wattage in the mix.

NOTE also that for a short time (fraction of a second) those devices draw MORE power than the label indicates.

In my coach there is a 8 watt lamp and a small re-circulation pump on the GFCI all the time, takes the coffee maker, an oven and a steamer to make with the 15 amp click of darkness. Oh and a 10 inch box fan.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick
That is great inverter information, however, the topic of this tread is:
A circuit breaker on a Dimensions inverter that pops when a coffee maker and toaster are used at the same time.... while the coach is plugged into shore power... (NOT inverter power).

Exactly what in that excellent inverter lesson explains why the circuit breaker on the OP's inverter trips when a coffee maker and toaster are used at the same time on shore power?

I don't see the connection?

Thanks
Mel
'96 Safari
Can't help you any more Mel. I have worked on electrical circuits most of my adult life. I have given you all of the information I have. You're on your own now. Sorry I could not make myself clear enough for you to understand the direct connection. I hope others reading this thread fair better than you. No disrespect intended. Simply a communications breakdown.

Happy trails,

Rick
Old 06-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Can't help you any more Mel. I have worked on electrical circuits most of my adult life. I have given you all of the information I have. You're on your own now. Sorry I could not make myself clear enough for you to understand the direct connection. I hope others reading this thread fair better than you. No disrespect intended. Simply a communications breakdown.
Happy trails,
Rick
Rick

You say "to-may-toe" and I say "to-mah-toe"....
BTW, I wasn't looking for help, (no disrespect intended).

Mel
Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
When I run the coffee pot and the toaster at the same time, the circuit breaker on the Dimensions inverter pops and we lose all 120v power inside the coach. This is when we are plugged in to shore power. We have a Dimensions Win12x20B3RT inverter on our 2006 Meridian 36G.
Hardy, we haven't heard another word from you. Hope you are still on board.

Here is the operators manual for your inverter: http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electri...ons_owners.pdf

It has a transfer switch and it is rated at 30amps. When I looked at your AC distribution diagram, http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_153555.pdf, I see that the engine heater is coming through the inverter sub panel. By chance is this on?

I see that the Dimensions circuit breaker is accessible from the front panel by removing 4 screws (by looking at the picture). If you are certain that all of your loads to the inverter total less than 30A the breaker may be bad. Be aware that you could have a high resistant short putting a false load on the inverter. For a novice this can be hard to detect, isolate and repair.

Please let us know if you are still watching this discussion and if you have found any of it helpful.

Rick Y
Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
I'm confused....how can the inverter be in play when the OP says they are on shore power when the breaker pops?
Easy Look at the folowing line drawing

Shore--Breaker box--Inverter--Inverter powered outlets

As you can see power passes THROUGH the inverter all the time. Even if you are on shore power.. This is now most motor home inverters work... Mine is a bit different, but basically the same

Shore---ATS--Breaker box---Inverter---Sub panel--Outlets

The difference is I do not have to go outside to reset a breaker on the INVERTER.. I just do it at the sub panel.

Inverters come in basically 2x2 flavors, for this discussion they are "Stand Alone" which work like this

Battery--->Inverter--->Loads

Or "in-line" which is described above. Many IN-line are also converters to the battery to inverter link looks like this

Battery<-->inverter, (Arrows show direction of power flow).

Confused yet? If so stop at "inverters come in basically.."
Old 06-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

If you go to page 15 on the owner's manual will see a diagram that shows the AC Outlet and a 15 AMP fuse for the AC Output. Everything coming out of the inverter (whether powered by the batteries or shore power) is coming out of that AC Outlet. When you are connected to shore power the inverter is NOT working; it is merely passing the power from the shoreline to this AC Outlet. So EVERYTHING on this line cannot exceed 30 Amps (microwave, tvs, components, receptacles, entertainment center, engine heater, etc.) shown on the bottom of page 3 of the Winnebago AC Distribution (above). You could have 5 different items on but if the total exceeds 30 Amp then this fuse will pop. So, no the Inverter is NOT working, i.e., converting battery power to AC power when the shoreline is connected but you can still have too many amps going down that line to cause the fuse to pop.
Does this help to "clear the air" on this subject. I think we lost the OP.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
I'm confused....how can the inverter be in play when the OP says they are on shore power when the breaker pops?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
power passes THROUGH the inverter all the time. Even if you are on shore power.. This is now most motor home inverters work...
wa8yxm !

That is the purpose of the 2 circuit breakers on the face of my Freedom 20 inverter.
1 leg of 120AVC power from a shore power pedestal passes through a 15A breaker, (the other leg through a 20A breaker)... to a number of receptacles in my coach, (5 on the 15A leg, 10 on the 20A leg).
If the receptacles on either of those 120V circuits are overloaded the breaker protecting that circuit trips, (pops out).

BTW, those 15 receptacles can also be battery powered, (via my 2000 watt inverter), when there is no shore or genset power...but there 3 additional receptacles that can not, (2 in my bed box sides and 1 for the Splendide).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
wa8yxm !

That is the purpose of the 2 circuit breakers on the face of my Freedom 20 inverter.
1 leg of 120AVC power from a shore power pedestal passes through a 15A breaker, (the other leg through a 20A breaker)... to a number of receptacles in my coach, (5 on the 15A leg, 10 on the 20A leg).
If the receptacles on either of those 120V circuits are overloaded the breaker protecting that circuit trips, (pops out).

BTW, those 15 receptacles can also be battery powered, (via my 2000 watt inverter), when there is no shore or genset power...but there 3 additional receptacles that can not, (2 in my bed box sides and 1 for the Splendide).

Mel

'96 Safari
The 30 amp breaker does not come into play for the A/C outlets. You have either a 15 amp leg or a 20 amp leg. You are most assuredly overloading a circuit.
There is nothing wrong with the inverter.
What is the size of the circuit breaker that is tripping?
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
If you go to page 15 on the owner's manual will see a diagram that shows the AC Outlet and a 15 AMP fuse for the AC Output. Everything coming out of the inverter (whether powered by the batteries or shore power) is coming out of that AC Outlet. When you are connected to shore power the inverter is NOT working; it is merely passing the power from the shoreline to this AC Outlet. So EVERYTHING on this line cannot exceed 30 Amps (microwave, tvs, components, receptacles, entertainment center, engine heater, etc.) shown on the bottom of page 3 of the Winnebago AC Distribution (above). You could have 5 different items on but if the total exceeds 30 Amp then this fuse will pop. So, no the Inverter is NOT working, i.e., converting battery power to AC power when the shoreline is connected but you can still have too many amps going down that line to cause the fuse to pop.
Does this help to "clear the air" on this subject. I think we lost the OP.
Are you telling there are 30 amp outlets in the motorhome? I think not
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Again, I am looking to hear from the OP. I posted the inverter and coach info above. Post #1 was talking about the INVERTER breaker. His coach has a 30A button breaker on the front panel of the inverter. Everything that the inverter feed goes through this breaker, internal transfer switch operated or not, as I understand from the Dementions users manual.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Again, I am looking to hear from the OP.
jerichorick
I think we lost the OP days ago!
However your time was not completely wasted.
I, for one, learned a lot from your posts.
Thanks for posting.
Mel
Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Dave View Post
Are you telling there are 30 amp outlets in the motorhome? I think not

No he is saying there are 30 amp BREAKERS..

In my motor home there are 30 amp OUTLETS, as well, but they are after market.. Have come in handy on occasion..... 1 30 amp 4-pole twist lock and two TT-30's all properly connected to a pair of 30 amp breakers in my main box.. Used to provide power to a couple of Ham Radio Field day operations, My house (when I had one) during a power fail and to my next site neighbor's RV when his generator failed.

But that's why I installed them.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
jerichorick
I think we lost the OP days ago!
However your time was not completely wasted.
I, for one, learned a lot from your posts.
Thanks for posting.
Mel
Your welcome, Mel. I'm glad someone gained from my efforts. Thanks for the thanks.

Rick Y

Tags
inverter