Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

CHECK ANTENNA - I think I fixed it

If you search this site for a fix for the dreaded CHECK ANTENNA message for Sirius XM radio you'll find many posts with good suggestions. Without getting in to all the suggestions, what finally worked for me was to locate the SiriusXM receiver and firm up the antenna connection. I was going to find the unit and try a free standing antenna connection but seems the factory antenna plug was simply not fully seated into the radio reciever.
2016 Journey - Locating the radio reciever was the biggest challenge.The actual receiver is simply a small plastic box about 1" x 2" x 4" dangling from wires and buried deeply behind wiring harnesses and heater ducts in the center console area near the floor. I couldn't find it or get to it from under driver side dash. The only way to get to it was to remove the small lower drawer unit (center console) and reach in through the small opening.
I'm sure others found "fixes" that worked for their situation, but this FINALLY (knocking on wood) seemed to correct this very annoying problem.

Just wanted to add another potential solution for others to look for.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
If you search this site for a fix for the dreaded CHECK ANTENNA message for Sirius XM radio you'll find many posts with good suggestions. Without getting in to all the suggestions, what finally worked for me was to locate the SiriusXM receiver and firm up the antenna connection. I was going to find the unit and try a free standing antenna connection but seems the factory antenna plug was simply not fully seated into the radio reciever.
2016 Journey - Locating the radio reciever was the biggest challenge.The actual receiver is simply a small plastic box about 1" x 2" x 4" dangling from wires and buried deeply behind wiring harnesses and heater ducts in the center console area near the floor. I couldn't find it or get to it from under driver side dash. The only way to get to it was to remove the small lower drawer unit (center console) and reach in through the small opening.
I'm sure others found "fixes" that worked for their situation, but this FINALLY (knocking on wood) seemed to correct this very annoying problem.

Just wanted to add another potential solution for others to look for.

cheers,
Joopy
Thanks for your input on dreaded "Check antenna" for Sirius XM radio. I picked up my new 2016 Journey about a month ago and started getting the same message on the way home. Dealer is too far to take it back and I prefer to do my own repairs if I can. I'll try your solution tomorrow and see if I have any luck.
Cherokee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My dealer fixed mine but their fix failed. To finally fixed mine. I tie wrapped the antenna in place. I haven't had a problem since.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Factory just fixed ours by securing the receiver with a tie strap. Works great now.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:31 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We just went through the serious "Sirius" issue on our Adventurer 38 Q. Seems the factory forgot to connect the wires in the Infotainment system. Unless you return it to the dealer to fiddle with (which I do not recommend) working on that system is comparable to boiling a pound of spaghetti and then trying to find a specific noodle to work on. It took me a morning to open the system and trace wires to find the Sirius system wire was disconnected. Once connected I found it, the round 10 pin just did not want to hold. After applying about a gazillion pounds and wraps of electricians tape to the joint I am hoping it does not come loose. Time will tell. Its working at the moment.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Man WBO sure changes stuff around, our Sirius Radio receiver is mounter in the cabinet right over the drivers head and is the only thing there.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Question Sirius XM antenna

I too have had the problem of the "Dreaded Check Antenna" message. I thought Jupiter had the right solution except I can't seem to locate the antenna or the receiver. I took the small drawer out of the lower part of the dash but still could not reach it. Has anyone ever removed part of the dash to get to the radio? On my 2004 Itasca Suncruiser, the whole dash just lifted up and you could get to most everything.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Cherokee,

Agree, the tough part is locating the XM receiver. Our 2016 Journey is a 38P and that's where I found our receiver. Yours may be elsewhere. It's a small black plastic piece (about 1" x 2" x 4") jammed in with a ton of wiring and ventilation ducts. Very easily "hidden". If possible, try following all wiring from the rear of the infotainment center. One of the small diameter (not coax size) black wires should lead to the XM receiver.

Note that D Lindy found his in an overhead cabinet on a 2012 model.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Dreaded Check Antenna

Jupiter, Thanks for the update, but I think I am going to let the Winnie warranty service center deal with it. I hope to be able to see how they get to it if they will let me. Sometimes they don't want customers back in the service area and I also have a problem with the navigation system.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

On our previous class C, I just removed the doghouse and crawled in. It gave me a lot more room. But one advantage was that I installed it, so I knew where it was.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Dreaded Check Antenna

Yeah Short Kid on my last MH, Itasca Suncruiser the whole dash just lifted up and you could get to everything. No so anymore. They have so much stuffed into a tight space and no way to access it. Maybe someday I'll learn how to remove part of the dash.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee9 View Post
Jupiter, Thanks for the update, but I think I am going to let the Winnie warranty service center deal with it. I hope to be able to see how they get to it if they will let me. Sometimes they don't want customers back in the service area and I also have a problem with the navigation system.
When my dealership repaired mine they plugged the antenna back in. It worked for a while but came loose once again. They need to secure it with a tie wrap or tape.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

since i am new to the RV world and only have my bounder as experience; however, i would bet that most of the manufactures do the same thing as Fleetwood does on their models and run the antenna inside the front cap and secure it under the fiberglass top cap. Poor idea and when i had mine in for service at the factory i told them the issue. They moved it to the front left corner, OUTSIDE the cap on top. You can't see it (not that it would matter to me, it is very small square) unless you on top of the coach and it has worked beautifully since they exposed it.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Yellow Boat, that is what I suspect is wrong with my radio. It works well while parked in my driveway, but as soon as I take it out on the road it starts cutting out and finally quits. My service appointment with the Winnie dealer is next Monday so we'll see how that works out. Will give an update then.

Tags
antenna