Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Chassis battery replacement suggestions

Bought a 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U several months ago. House batteries are new, chassis batteries are not. Chassis batteries were mfg in 2012 and appear to be 2 heavy duty AGM batteries. Can't make out all the details but they are working fine now. We are full timers and want to be proactive and change these batteries before they break down. Looking for suggestions from others for the best replacement batteries to purchase?
Joe711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

For batteries such as these I look at what I can order and pickup at my local NAPA dealer. If there are problems with one of them while traveling it is likely that I can find a NAPA dealer to test the batteries and replace them if under warranty. There are NAPA dealers in even very small towns.

Most of the AGM batteries are made by Interstate and then branded for a distributor. Check the CCA specs for the batteries you have and buy ones that are as good or better (and that will fit).
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
US1
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
For batteries such as these I look at what I can order and pickup at my local NAPA dealer. If there are problems with one of them while traveling it is likely that I can find a NAPA dealer to test the batteries and replace them if under warranty. There are NAPA dealers in even very small towns.
I recall reading last yr or 2 that a guy bought a Napa battery for the same reason as you, plenty of Napa stores, only to have been out on the road out of town and the battery went south. Finding the nearest Napa dealer for a warranty exchange, he was informed that he had to go to the store the battery was purchased from as I believe each store is independantly owned, in order to exchange his battery.
I can not confirm this to be true, but have no reason to question it. Might be worth checking out.

That being said, I replaced all mine with Walmart batteries for the same reason as many, a Walmart at every corner and warranty coverage at all.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Built On Freightliner info for the 2013 Journey indicates that the OEM chassis batteries were:
Two 950 CCA @ 0oF (-18oC); maintenance-free
My original OEM Freightliner Alliance brand chassis batteries lasted 11.5 years. Since they stood up so well I replaced them with 2 new Freightliner Alliance batteries in July 2016:
EPM-AE1231MF 1125CCA-STUD GRP31 (List $167.88) Price $114.65ea
from my local Freightliner dealer.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Why post something that you heard and did not bother to verify with a simple phone call? How is that helpful?

With house batteries I would test their current health by checking the voltage drop when running the microwave or a hair dryer that puts a load on them. If they drop below 12.1 volts I would want to replace them sooner rather than later.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Why post something that you heard and did not bother to verify with a simple phone call? How is that helpful?

With house batteries I would test their current health by checking the voltage drop when running the microwave or a hair dryer that puts a load on them. If they drop below 12.1 volts I would want to replace them sooner rather than later.
I, for one, appreciate the NAPA information US1 posted because if I have issues with my batteries ,coach or chassis, it would be something even if he did "verify" it, I'd still check it out for my own edification because things change over time. I, had looked at the NAPA batteries earlier this year for my Class A gasser but traded it in for my DP in May. Second perhaps by posting it he was hoping someone reading the post could share personal "NAPA" experience.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

battery

I just ( 11-1-2020) replaced the chassis batteries in my 2013 Journey. Went to NAPA. I asked the warranty question. Was told any store national wide would service and provide warranty. The written warranty that came with batteries also stated same. I replaced mine proactively. They still tested good however were 8 years old.
pjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
US1
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen View Post
I just ( 11-1-2020) replaced the chassis batteries in my 2013 Journey. Went to NAPA. I asked the warranty question. Was told any store national wide would service and provide warranty. The written warranty that came with batteries also stated same. I replaced mine proactively. They still tested good however were 8 years old.
Thank You for posting and clarifying. As I stated earlier, I was just repeating what I read on a forum and had no reason to question it, thus my disclaimer.

Lesson learned, never believe what members of forums posts.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:

Hi Ellman, yeah, sometimes people in the forum just through out ideas, without fact checking everything. But that’s ok, because it often leads to a clue as to where to dig in deeper.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I replaced my chassis batteries three years ago, they were still good, but I had a bad alternator and didn't know it at the time.

They are group 31, maintenance free, heavy-duty commercial 12v, 950 cca, 1140 ca rated. I priced many out, before buying two new ones from a Kenworth truck shop, my cost, with core trade-in, was $79 each before they threw in a $4 trucker discount.

Part number BT31S91. Distributed by PACCAR Parts.

Same as the Alliance battery from Freightliner, I suspect, just a TRP on the label. I expect to get at least 10 years out of this set.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe711 View Post
Bought a 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U several months ago. House batteries are new, chassis batteries are not. Chassis batteries were mfg in 2012 and appear to be 2 heavy duty AGM batteries. Can't make out all the details but they are working fine now. We are full timers and want to be proactive and change these batteries before they break down. Looking for suggestions from others for the best replacement batteries to purchase?
I have not read all the responses. This caution may be a repeat. Start and house batteries are built different. Use the correct battery. Unless it is a Deep Cycle/Start battery, don't use a Deep Cycle battery for start location.
I get my batteries from https://www.bargainshore.com/. Strong battery. Great prices.
Hope you love your 40U as much as we do ours.
Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 12-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

The question was chassis batteries, microwave will not draw power from them
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Same process of applying a load to the batteries and checking the voltage drop. With the chassis engine I would use a volt meter and check the voltage while turing over the starter motor. Or you can remove the batteries and take them in to a store that has a battery load tester.

Many factors that can drastically shorten battery life and so the same battery can last for 2 years or 10 years depending on its use and how it is charged and how often it is discharged and how fully it is discharged and this applies to all FLAT and AGM batteries regardless of whether used in the coach or to start the engine. Even with deep cycle there is a world of difference in the construction of batteries designed for commercial use in golf carts or forklifts and those made for use in a boat or RV.

Tags
ace, battery, chassis, replace, replacement