Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Chassis Battery Recommendation

Had my coach in for some service work and when I returned to pick it up batteries were dead. Service dept. said they were not hold charge, but was able to get it cranked and I returned it to storage where I left it on shore power with charger on batteries (I wanted to see for myself). There is no doubt the batteries are not holding a charge. The batteries are Interstate 31-MHD. I priced them for $144.00 each locally. Can anyone confirm if this is a reasonable price? Also if anyone has recommendations for other batteries I would love to hear them. Was not expecting to shell out $300 plus for batteries this week!

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have found good prices at Sam's Club. They keep quite a variety of Interstate 6 and 12 volt batteries. The last time I looked, Both Coach and Chassis batteries were around $100.00 each. I think they will order some for you if they don't have what you need in stock. I hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

GaDawgFan,
Well Sir, some folks are "brand name" loyal but, not me. My suggestion, from purchasing numerous batteries over the years is, take the dimensions of your chassis battery box/tray. If the ones you had in there were not the biggest that would fit, then go after the largest ones that will fit in there and, have good cold cranking amps. You see, the older a starting/electrical system gets, the more resistance it builds and, it's not evident. Corrosion and resistance can build inside cables, connections and more.

So, the factory set up your rig with certain specs on cranking amps etc, for your rig when it was new. But, the system has deteriorated some, maybe not much, but some. For that reason, you need to get more cranking amps than what's required, if you can. So, as far as which brand, what model, etc. just get big. And, while you're in there, just make sure all your cables, connections, charging system(s) are in top shape and are working correctly. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Walmart's best EverStart battery - about $100.00. Good battery, good warranty, warranty service most anywhere.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the responses. As long as I can buy a battery with at least as many (or more) cranking amps than the present ones, is there any real difference between name brands and off brands such as Walmart?

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well Sir,
It has been stated that there are only TWO battery manufacturers in the U.S. I have no evidence that shows that. And that, many of the batteries are the same battery, only different names on them. No proof, just read that statement, on this and other RV forums. Warranty, as has been stated is a good thing. Batteries "USUALLY" last for quite a while but, every once in a while one gives out early. So, it's nice to have warranty and, a wide spread one at that. So, if it were me, I might go for the Walmart one too.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #7

I really shouldn't be posting as I've given out a lot of bogus information lately but I'll chime in here and others can again correct me if making a blunder factually.

When we replaced our Freightliner Alliance group 31 chassis batteries, we couldn't find that size and configuration at regular auto sections of Walmart, Costco, or Sears where I like to buy batteries because they located all across the country.

We were told that group 31 is a commercial designated battery. We ended up shopping around and almost buying them at O'Riellys ==click here.

However, when doing additional calling around (we were staying in Indiana at the time), I bumped into this place -Stoops Freightliner- and was able to buy the OEM Alliance batteries for substantially less than the O'Reilly ones ==click here

AND the Alliance has better specfications:

Alliance: CCA 1,000 with a Reserve capacity of 185 minutes

O'Reilly: CCA 950 with a Reserve Capacity of 175 minutes

So we were able to get the Freightliner OEM battery at substantially less with better specs. I believe the Alliance (A Daimler Trucks subsidiary as is Freightliner) battery is made by Exide which is one of the major battery manufacturers as Scott mentioned. I'm thinking, but not sure, that the O'Reilly house brand is made by Johnson Controls. Others can correct me on that.

At any rate, when you are shopping around, be sure to check the local Freightliner dealers too as you may run into a bargain as I think we did. If Walmart of Costco made a commercial group 31, I'm not too sure if they'd sell it for much less.

-harry

edit: btw, we replaced our house batteries with Walmart brand (Johnson Controls, I believe). Since we don't do a lot of boondocking, I figured the Walmart Marine hybrid deep cycle was good enough for our needs. They've been great so far. I think they were around $70-80 apiece compared to less than half the price of a true deep cycle battery. I just as soon replace the Walmart ones at three of four years than to keep the expensive true deep cycles for five years or more. I don't think we do enough boondocking to go the golf cart battery route and make it pay off ...but I don't know, maybe next time.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You didn't say which batteries were bad, the chassis starting batteries, or the coach batteries.

If it is the chassis starting batteries, yes, the cold cranking amps are very important, to turn that diesel engine over.

If it is the coach batteries, then forget about cold cranking amps, you need a deep cycle type battery, with lots of reserve amp hours, and the ability to be charged and discharged hundreds, and hundreds of cycles.

As it was already said, take the measurements of your battery tray, get the most battery your budget will allow, that will fit the space. Which ever type you need.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I prefer Crown batteries - but in the end it's all up to maintenance regardless of the brand. Were the old batteries low or even dry?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

TSC always has good prices on Bigger Group 31 and 8D batteries
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Now that we have got beyond the original question regarding chassis batteries and into the realm of house batteries, I'd suggest a good starting point for any advice on the optimum solution for house batteries is to find out what the owner expects the system to provide. For instance, if the MH is used mostly in campgrounds on full hookup just during annual vacation and battery power is only needed during transit, then the optimum solution is probably a couple of the cheapest starting batteries you can find. If however the MH is used by a permanent full-timer who likes to boondock for weeks at a time, then there is an economic and reliability case for spending thousands on a top-quality system complete with plenty of solar as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Costco has batteries that work just fine and are around $70
Aerbus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerbus101 View Post
Costco has batteries that work just fine and are around $70
What size did you substitute? Costco did not carry Group 31 commercial batteries and didn't have any thing close to the CCA or reserve capacity nor the dimensions of the Group 31 commercial battery. Walmart does not either.

Here is the list of what Costco carries (sizes and availability vary by location and geographical area: ==click ...the author of this chart is in California, however.

Again, the Group 31 commercial battery is the OEM size for most of us with older model Freightliner chassis DPs They are their house brand Alliance, made by Exide (I think) and are approximately 13" in length, 6 3/4" wide, and 9 1/2" tall.

I couldn't find that size or bigger at Costco or Walmart. And none that I had look at either at Costco or Walmart came close to the CCA and the reserve capacity of the OEM battery. However, I may have just been at the wrong Costcos and Walmarts and they just may be available at other places in the country than the places I was looking. I was looking in Indiana, Nevada, and Washington state.

Journey39n, I was confused at first but the title to this thread does state the OP is looking for chassis batteries.

-harry
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hello, Dawg. We have the same coach. Here's what I use:

NAPA Battery

I looked at WalMart, and certainly don't have anything against their products, but went with these from NAPA because of the stud terminals -- couldn't find any just like that at WalMart.

Also, if you check NAPA's Website, you may want to checkout their model 7238 and 7231 batteries. Just put "7238" (no quotes" in the search box. Battery dimensions are the same, just not as heavy or with the high CCA rating. They are much less expensive; the one I linked above is $149 each locally, while the 7238 and 7234 are around $100.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #15

That's another great alternative, gfs1943, which I forgot to mention. However, that exact battery you referenced was about $150 at the NAPA stores I checked.

For some reason, I was bent on getting batteries that had close to the same specs or greater than the OEM batteries. So even though I could get one of the other NAPA batteries for closer to $100, I passed on them since I knew I could get the exact OEM replacement at a Freightliner dealer for $99.00.

But yes, by all means, check NAPA for prices too especially if you have a discount. That battery gfs1943 has referenced exceeds the OEM specs so if you can get it for a good price, go for it! Excellent suggestion.

(I believe all the group 31 commercial batteries are spec'd for the top-mounted stud terminals)

-harry
Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the responses. This website is like a living RV encyclopedia. Thanks again.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Yes, I must have been asleep, as the title of the thread did state 'chassis batteries'.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Wow... only 2 battery manufactures in the US? Really? (Sorry I missed that story when it first came out)

I only use Odyssey batteries, sold at Sears under the Diehard Platinum Marine label.
ODYSSEY Batteries

Here is why:
First, they are NOT made of recycled lead. (recycled lead makes batteries fail sooner)
Second, the CCA and AH rating combined cannot be beat.
Third, while they only a 3 year warranty from Sears, they are designed to last 8-12 years and are warrantied for longer directly from Odyssey (for a price).
Fourth, the military uses these on their vehicles and I have seem HMMWV with these in them that had seen combat, the batteries were 6 years old.
Fifth, the are sealed AGM's. I don't like the acid mess.
Sixth, they have more cycles than most batteries (dead to charge).
Seventh, they have less leakage, their "unhooked" shelf life is greater than most batteries.
And eigth, I hate to change the batteries. I don't want to change batteries every 2 years, like I have done in the past.

There are more than 2 battery manufactures in the US, this is one of the best.

DieHard Marine Battery : Buy High-Performance Battery at Sears
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
Wow... only 2 battery manufactures in the US? Really? (Sorry I missed that story when it first came out)

I only use Odyssey batteries, sold at Sears under the Diehard Platinum Marine label.
ODYSSEY Batteries

Here is why:
First, they are NOT made of recycled lead. (recycled lead makes batteries fail sooner)
Second, the CCA and AH rating combined cannot be beat.
Third, while they only a 3 year warranty from Sears, they are designed to last 8-12 years and are warrantied for longer directly from Odyssey (for a price).
Fourth, the military uses these on their vehicles and I have seem HMMWV with these in them that had seen combat, the batteries were 6 years old.
Fifth, the are sealed AGM's. I don't like the acid mess.
Sixth, they have more cycles than most batteries (dead to charge).
Seventh, they have less leakage, their "unhooked" shelf life is greater than most batteries.
And eigth, I hate to change the batteries. I don't want to change batteries every 2 years, like I have done in the past.

There are more than 2 battery manufactures in the US, this is one of the best.

DieHard Marine Battery : Buy High-Performance Battery at Sears

I agree that Odyssey batteries are great. They are made by EnerSys =click here as is the Diehard Platinum that you reference. Most other auto Diehard batteries are made by Johnson Controls, I believe.

But personally, I think that particular battery is overkill for a motorhome starting battery. Some will get 8 to 10-years from the OEM chassis battery if they are maintained correctly (e.g. not overcharged, kept topped off, and not allowed to have multiple deep discharges throughout their life).

A motorhome chassis battery is not subjected to a huge number of multiple starts the way the battery in our cars may be. So if you keep the charge maintained (topped off) and not allow it do go dead multiple times in its life, I'll opt for a less expensive battery as it should last just as long.

That Diehard Platinum costs almost three times as much as the OEM battery. For me, it's not necessary although it seem like a super nice battery to have. If it makes one feel better to have such a starting battery, go for it.

I'd personally rather spend that money on the house batteries or something that I may get more benefit from.

I don't mean to be disrespectful toward your suggestion, however, and I thank you for it. We all can't agree on everything pertaining to our motorhomes.

-harry
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Believe me, I have done my homework on this one. I had Sears pull the MSDS, they show the manufacture, Odyssey. Also, I won't use anything but, a sealed battery, so that doesn't leave many option. Further, in AZ because of the heat you are lucky if your battery last more than 2 years.
Yes, you can get cheaper batteries to begin with but, in the long run you will pay more.
I am just saying... if they are go enough for our military, they are good enough for me.

Tags
battery, chassis