Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Chassis battery disconnect switch

I have a 2004 Meridian 36G and am going to replace my two chassis (engine) batteries tomorrow and am not exactly sure if or where the chassis battery disconnect switch is. I know the coach battery disconnect switch on the dash but I've never had any excuse before now to disconnect the engine batteries.

Is it the switch on the dash that says "Main/Aux" or is that just for the radio? After 6 1/2 years of ownership you'd think I'd know stuff like this but when you don't use something you lose it, right?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my Tour, it is a large selector switch located right above the chassis batteries in the battery compartment.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
On my Tour, it is a large selector switch located right above the chassis batteries in the battery compartment.
Never noticed anything except scads of cables there but I'll sure look in the morning. Thanks.

Wagonmaster2
Old 08-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

On my 07 Ellipse, the chassis battery switch is located under the rear engine cover toward the top. You almost have to twist your neck low and look up inside the engine compartment.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wow, guess it may be about anyplace Winny could find a spot to stick it. Thanks, gives me lots of places to look.

Wagonmaster2
Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I have a 2004 Meridian 36G and am going to replace my two chassis (engine) batteries tomorrow and am not exactly sure if or where the chassis battery disconnect switch is. I know the coach battery disconnect switch on the dash but I've never had any excuse before now to disconnect the engine batteries.

Is it the switch on the dash that says "Main/Aux" or is that just for the radio? After 6 1/2 years of ownership you'd think I'd know stuff like this but when you don't use something you lose it, right?

Wagonmaster2

If you can't find it or if there isn't one (a distinct possibility) this should not be a problem. Just be sure to remove the negative (ground) cables first and replace them last so that when removing the positives you don't short one or a wrench to ground. Hook up the new batteries the same as the old -- of course!

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I am pretty sure Winnie did not start installing them until the '06 production year. They issued a service bulletin about dead batteries from ghost currents and recomended the installation of a Trik-L-start
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the replys. Never found a disconnect switch on my 2004 but got the 2 new batteries installed by doing as suggested, remove the negative cables first and reconnect them last which is what I'd been taught from the time of my first car.
Since the doctor had suggested (told me) not to be lifting anything over 20 lbs due to compressed discs in my back one of the employees at O'Reillys Auto Parts where I purchased the batteries was nice enough to use 10 minutes of his lunch hour to come by the house (only about 1/2 mile from the store) and exchange the batteries in the tray. Really a relief for me as I had no idea how I was going to manage these heavy items as we live in a mostly retirees area of town and most are as bad off a I am.

Wagonmaster2