Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

chassis battery CCA

We need to replace our 6 year old battery.
Anyone know the cold cranking amp size for a 2010 Sightseer with a 8.1 liter Vortec engine.
Thanks
Mike In NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
Anyone know the cold cranking amp size for a 2010 Sightseer with a 8.1 liter Vortec engine.
Thanks
Well Mike,
I'd imagine that your owners manual "might" have some sort of specs in it or, it's possible that there might be some decals or, stuck-on literature on the battery itself that give you information. It's a 8.1 which is, most likely a GM unit so, it's on a GM Chassis and, that will help you find info.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Th old battery should have a part number or CCA numbers on it somewhere. This chart should prove helpful. I would put in the largest battery that will fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422756587.646257.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	84802
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks
Workhorse GAS chassis use a 690 CCA @ 0*F with 115 minutes Reserve Capacity @ 80*F
Old 01-31-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The highest CCA battery that will fit in the space available.
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
The highest CCA battery that will fit in the space available.

X2. This is how I went about a new chassis battery for our coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The following page fits the battery in my coach, though I have a DEKA not what Sam's sells in mine.

Duracell® Automotive Battery - Group Size 78 - Sam's Club
Old 02-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Thanks
My cousin has the same MH and recently accepted my suggestion to get an Optima Blue top. This is a special but expensive battery that now starts his MH at the touch of the key. We use two of them in our MH and start our engine in less than 2 seconds. 900 cca.

His coach in many years older but he is very happy stating that it is GREAT improvement. This after filling his MAP everywhere to Alaska.
see my blog
Old 02-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #9

Lada...Regarding Optima Blue top:
You are recommending using a deep cycle AGM battery as a starter battery? I understand that it produces sufficient cranking amps to be used as a starter...so essentially you think a dual purpose battery is your best option for the starter???

You are of course familiar with the differences between a starter starting battery and a house deep cycle battery...and prefer something in-between??? You think it is worth the extra money because???

It may, in some respects, be the better way to go...to answer the question for you...but it really isn't necessary anymore than a diesel is on an rv under 40 feet, nor the best cost/benefit solution.

If you had a hard starting diesel, you would have a better argument for it.

Essentially you are paying for heavier duty plates that aren't required for a starter battery than uses thinner plates. Maybe a more expensive starter battery that will produce more than 900 CCA would be a better solution for the starter.

From their website. I'm reading this as house battery "advantages."

Installing an OPTIMA® BLUETOP® high-performance AGM battery in your boat or RV means more running time and more recharges than you’d get out of a traditional battery. It’s perfect for boats with trolling motors, extensive electronic systems, or RVs with creature comforts that tend to drain batteries quickly. On top of providing outstanding vibration resistance, the BLUETOP®’s efficient power delivery and faster recharge time mean you’ll spend less time worrying about your battery. Which means more time for fun. Again and again. This battery is ideal for those who need a sure-starting, strong-cranking, maintenance-free power source.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #10

How about an AC Delco Heavy Duty Starter Battery?

700 cold-cranking amps. Rugged construction makes it the perfect choice for pickup and delivery or short-haul service vehicles, car carriers, emergency vehicles, buses, commercial car/ truck fleets, police, taxi and rental vehicles (1150/1151 models & 31TSFleet/31APFleet)
750 cold-cranking amps for starting power. Great for large diesel engines. Also helps start these vehicles in cold climates (1110/1111 models)
950 cold-cranking amps can power almost any big rig. Designed to handle extremely high initial cranking loads in the most severe conditions (31-900CT/31-901CT models)
For over-the-road truck applications, where "no idle" laws apply, we offer the 31TSFleet or 31APFleet that has higher reserve capacity and near AGM cycling but at a flooded lead acid battery price.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

As I understand in a Optima, red and yellow for starting. Blue not for starting. Starting requires high amp for short amount of time. Blue is designed for low amp long term draw. I have had reds and yellows myself. Yellow used in the jeep due to winch usage.

I moved away from optima. Expensive and I felt was not getting longer life or performance to justify the cost. switched to Walmart EverStart batteries. Rated high by consumer reports some years ago. Good warranty, serviced anywhere there is a Walmart. And only about $100.00. I have gotten very good service from them.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
As I understand in a Optima, red and yellow for starting. Blue not for starting. Starting requires high amp for short amount of time. Blue is designed for low amp long term draw. I have had reds and yellows myself. Yellow used in the jeep due to winch usage.

I moved away from optima. Expensive and I felt was not getting longer life or performance to justify the cost. switched to Walmart EverStart batteries. Rated high by consumer reports some years ago. Good warranty, serviced anywhere there is a Walmart. And only about $100.00. I have gotten very good service from them.
The Blue comes in different styles. Read my blog is see why. My two batteries are now 9 years old and start my engine in less than 2-3 seconds. Sure they cost more but in this world you get what you pay for Ever start as I call them NEVERLAST or NEVERSTART are on the bottom of the quality rung. IMHO - I had four of them and they didn't outlast the warranty period. First one went down then another and finally it took my converter and alternator. No thanks. in my world I buy the better and sleep longer.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Lada...Regarding Optima Blue top:
You are recommending using a deep cycle AGM battery as a starter battery? I understand that it produces sufficient cranking amps to be used as a starter...so essentially you think a dual purpose battery is your best option for the starter???

You are of course familiar with the differences between a starter starting battery and a house deep cycle battery...and prefer something in-between??? You think it is worth the extra money because???
that will produce more than 900 CCA would be a better solution for the starter.

Yes and Yes and Yes. Suggest you read more than the advertising. go to the spec sheets. This is a special battery not just a dual purpose. Like or Leave it . I have had a long lasting experience and am very please with my choice. it may not be yours but then OH well

Tags
battery, chassis