Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdogs

Glad to see others have done a similar modification to the momentary contact BOOST switch setup that came stock on the Winni and Itasca. That switch takes it's power from the coach battery bank to activate the Boost Relay connection between the two battery systems. The iginition switch via the starting battery activated the boost relay when the key was turned on. From my perspective not a good solution.

I added two additional switches in the spare locations below the stock switch
1 - A latching switch that connects the two battery banks together - allows the replacement converter to charge the starting battery if need be
2 - A latching switch to disable the alternator from poorly charging the deep cycle coach battery bank

Solar and or the multistage converter keeps the coach battery bank charged, while the alternator keeps the starting battery charged. Then if need be via the continous duty boost relay a connection can be made as needed to keep either / both properly charged

Many different ways to get the job done

PS- I see you added the light - I found that Winni had that specific switch with an integrated light - works great as an indicator of the specific condition
Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I have a new to me 05 Itasca Meridian 34h (build 04). Reading this thread I just went out and checked the Battery Minder and the Chassis Batts are 13.1 and house Batts are 13.5 plugged into shore power for the last month. The original power panel voltage indicators show similar readings. I tried to see if a TRK-L-START was installed over the Aux Gen but could see none by just removing the access panel. The one difference I have is a complete Solar system install.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Oh and the solar are putting out 0 amps as it is parked under a car port.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I installed the trick-l-start and it works great. I was under the assumption that if the batteries are being charged in any way, 110 shore power or solar, the trik-l-start would charge the chassis batts. I hope that's how it works anyway. I'm getting a solar system done next year and I want to boondock a lot. Does anyone know if it charges on solar too as well as 110 shore?
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #25

Yes. The Trik-L-Start monitors the coach batts for voltage. If its fully charged or being charged, it will then check the chassis batt. It will then charge or maintain it, depending on its needs. It will never discharge the coach batts.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis