Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How many others have the problem with their chassis batteries losing charge after sitting for 2 to 3 months? The lose enough that I have to use the coach batteries to start the MH. If so, what have you done to prevent it? I am thinking of installing a master disconnect switch on the battery tray. I was told that there is a certain amount of trickle down on the batteries due to the computer in the transmission and the engine but to have the batteries lose so much voltage over the course of 2 months doesn't seem right.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

How many others have the problem with their chassis batteries losing charge after sitting for 2 to 3 months? The lose enough that I have to use the coach batteries to start the MH. If so, what have you done to prevent it? I am thinking of installing a master disconnect switch on the battery tray. I was told that there is a certain amount of trickle down on the batteries due to the computer in the transmission and the engine but to have the batteries lose so much voltage over the course of 2 months doesn't seem right.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My coach had the same issue and the former owner installed a master disconnect. End of issue.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have master cut off switches for both Chassis and Coach batteries. Still have dead chassis batteries. It has recently started and I think my problem is a bad solenoid, as I can start my MH with the Coach batteries. Switch just clicks. Unfortunately, can not find out till next spring when I take it out of storage.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Due to the parasitic draw on the chassis batteries, they do run down while sitting. Winnebago has done 2 things to combat this problem on the DP's: 1) Installed a Trik-L-Charge system which charges the chassis battery while plugged in to shore power, and 2) Installed a 'GUEST' battery disconnect switch at the rear of the coach for the chassis battery.

Not sure what year Winnie started installing these items, but I believe they are on the 2006 model year coaches and beyond.

I also recommend while storing (w/o access to power) to use some sort of battery disconnect switch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Batteries have a certain internal resistance and they will self-discharge over a period of time even if disconnected.

If you can go for two or three months with the chassis battery not disconnected, then you are doing really well.

Don has the right idea - disconnect the batteries.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I did a little investigation with my 06 Meridian last weekend. I turned off all the power, hit the battery disconnect switch, turned the Guest switch to off. Then I measured current leaving the house battery; as expected there was 12.1 mA. No current down the big cable all 12.1 mA was going down the converter/charger cable. The solar panel wasn't making a contribution since it is covered with 6 inches on snow. Hmmm there is some residual load out there. After taking measurements, I took the house batteries inside for the winter.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

To solve this problem, I switched the 10 watt solar panel from the house batteries to the chassis battery. The solar panel was useless in maintaining the house batteries, but seems to do a good job of keeping my chassis battery charged
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I think it was 2006 that the Trik-L-Stat and Master Swx were added. I didn't want to take the chance of having to teach the transmission how I drive each time I pull B+ for weeks at a time, and the 15W Solar panel just wasn't keeping 5 batteries charged after about 4 weeks. I finally retired the panel to fridge aux fan service and added 2-100W panels (now 3 ), and problem gone. Expensive fix, but so was the coach.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'm pretty sure that the GUEST engine battery disconnect switch does not switch off all the parasitic drain. The computers may still be powered.

Maybe John C. knows if all the engine electrical systems are disconnected or not when the GUEST switch is turned off (thanks John -- I respect your input on this).

I'm also curious on this answer...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Mikeso, I have a 2004 Journey. I had the same problem with my battery. I found out that Winnebago Had a trickle charger that would solve this problem. I call customer service at the factory and talked to Rod. He said that they do have a trickle charger and if I wanted to he would send it to me with the installation instruction on how to install at no cost. I received it and less than a hour I had it installed and working. It ties into the positive side of the house battery. Really easy to do.They came up with in the first of 2005 . That when I put my on and never had a problem with my battery.Give Rod A call at customer service at the factory he will help you
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Chesnutt:
Mikeso, I have a 2004 Journey. I had the same problem with my battery. I found out that Winnebago Had a trickle charger that would solve this problem. I call customer service at the factory and talked to Rod. He said that they do have a trickle charger and if I wanted to he would send it to me with the installation instruction on how to install at no cost. I received it and less than a hour I had it installed and working. It ties into the positive side of the house battery. Really easy to do.They came up with in the first of 2005 . That when I put my on and never had a problem with my battery.Give Rod A call at customer service at the factory he will help you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Randy,
Thank you very much for the info. I will give him a call.
Mike