Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Chassis Batteries

When I have the coach on shore power and disconnect to start the engine, I keep getting a low battery message on the instrument panel. Is there something that I am not shutting off or turning on that I should be. I want to keep the chassis batteries topped off.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
When I have the coach on shore power and disconnect to start the engine, I keep getting a low battery message on the instrument panel. Is there something that I am not shutting off or turning on that I should be. I want to keep the chassis batteries topped off.
I get the same message when I first start my engine and then it goes away. I have no idea why this happens but my '05 Vectra did the same thing. I am speculating it has to do with the charge state of the battery (full) or humidity in the alternator. When I stop for a rest and restart the engine I don't get this message. Pure guessing on my part. But with dealing with this for over 7 years and 2 coaches I am not concerned any longer.

Give Freightliner a call. They should be able to give you a better answer.

Rick Y
Old 03-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks - I am seeing the same issue - thanks again!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

How long do you have it on shore power?
Have you checked with a volt meter to see if your chassis batteries are being charged when you connect to shore power?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Probably the intake heater cycling on during the first start.

Does the message cycle on and off?

Watch the voltage to see if that could be it.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was told that it is best to start the engine while plugged in and therefore avoid this problem as the drain will not be as severe.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve COH View Post
Probably the intake heater cycling on during the first start.

Does the message cycle on and off?

Watch the voltage to see if that could be it.
Yup. Shore power or not. It only does this for a few minutes then goes to normal. It has never been a true fault.

The house and coach batteries charge fine on shore power. The start battery is up and in good condition.

Most of us spend our lives behind the wheel of some sort of gasser. Diesels are a whole different world.

Rick Y
Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well Sir,
You're receiving some good answers here. There can be a few reasons why you're seeing that message just after startup. I'm assuming you're seeing it on what's called the Medallion Information Center, correct? It's possible and, more than likely that, what you're seeing is low voltage on the chassis batteries and not the house batteries.

Now, one of the first things I'd check is, do you have any CHASSIS BATTERIES charging system, while on shore power? Winne and Itasca have battled that issue for quite some time now. When folks didn't have it, they had issues of dead chassis batteries while in storage and had to add a system (i.e. Trik-L-Start, permanent battery chargers etc.) to remedy those battery issues.

Then, it appears Winne and Itasca started adding systems from the factory. But, in reading many of these threads, I'm not sure they're still doing it. So, if that's the case in your case, then it's possible that, even when you're plugged into shore power, your chassis batteries are not being charged and, with the many PARASITIC DRAWS that are on them, that your system may see just a bit of low battery voltage, right after start up.

I myself, have only seen that message on the Medallion Info Center, one time in the almost 4 years of ownership of our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT, 330HP. But, a buddy who has an '06 Meridian 36G with the C-7 350HP CAT sees that same message on his, almost constantly and, he's even got the Trik-L-Start, installed from the factory.

Don't know if any of this information helps but, just something to maybe think about. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

46490, You aren't real clear on your post, but if you are talking about a low battery warning right after you start you engine, well then I hope you are not trying to fix a problem that does not exist. Assuming you are talking about the warning when the engine has just been started, then it is likely just your grid (intake)heater on the engine. It will cycle off and on for a few minutes, depending on outside temperature. It puts a LARGE load on your alternator and chassis batteries, thus the low battery warning, but this is normal. But don't take my word for it, and by all means before you start any lengthy, complicated troubleshooting, call Freightliner, not Winnebago, to get the correct answer.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis