Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2022, 09:37 PM   #1
J99
Winnebago Watcher

Chassis Batter Discharge Issue 2019 Navion

Hello Winnie Owners; I have a 2019 Navion Itasca. It is typical that after one or two months of inactivity (winter storage), I return to find the chassis battery dead (~10V) and can only start the engine by using the push-button jump with the house batteries. This post is a follow-up to an older post (2019) that discussed this issue... I have pasted some of the comments from that previous post below). This is what I understand currently: 1) There is a chassis battery disconnect (located up behind the throttle pedal) that should be disconnected if leaving the vehicle for more than 1 week... 2) It is typical for the chassis battery to have a (current) leakage and drain below starting capability within ~1 week (which I find as a big design problem). 3) Apparently, there is something called a Battery Isolation Manager that is supposed to sense when the chassis battery is low (lower that the house batteries), and allow the house batteries to charge the chassis battery ( the house batteries are maintained at a high charge ~13.6v from the solar panels). I have not been able to locate this BIM, nor do I know how to determine if it has failed and needs replacing... I would appreciate advice on this topic...

From old 2019 Post:
Quote:
The BIM can stop working correctly and this can lead to your chassis battery not charging as it should. Generally, as soon as your house batteries are fully charged (I think it's at 12.6v or so) the BIM will automatically switch your charger over to start charging your chassis batteries. My memory is the BIM will work to bring your chassis battery to 12.3v. (Hope I'm remembering that correctly.)

Of course, check the water level in your chassis battery, check the cables for looseness or corrosion, too.

My Winnebago had a non-functioning BIM and I had it replaced and that fixed the problem.
Quote:
I am experiencing this issue as well. I have a 2019 Navion. Any idea where the BIM is located or the chassis battery disconnect? I keep my camper about an hour from the house so just want to have as much information as possible when I go to investigate. Thanks for the help.
J99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis