Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Chassis and House battery location

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but I just purchased a 2002 Journey DL 36GD. I've looked through the ops manual and searched online, but am confused with what I have found. I have 2 batteries on the top tray and 2 on the bottom tray. Are the 2 on top the chassis? I've read online that some have 3 chassis batteries. I looked at the chassis installation diagram and it shows both 2 and 3 battery configurations and doesn't state why the difference.
rhigg1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looking at the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for your coach it looks like coaches with the 1500-watt inverter have 3 12V Coach Deep Cycle Batteries while coaches without the inverter have only 2. I would expect these to be Group 31 size.

The upper tray has the Coach batteries and these should be Deep Cycle.

The lower tray has the Chassis batteries and these should be Starter Batteries, not Deep Cycle. According to the Built On Freightliner info for your coach the OEM batteries are "Two 760 CCA @ 0oF (-18oC); maintenance-free" and I would expect them to be Group 31 size as well. Replacement batteries need to have at least a 760 CCA or higher.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Great info thanks for the help.
rhigg1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cat, chassis