Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I'm new to RVing so bear with me. We brought our RV last year and have made several trips in it with no problems. It's an 02 Itasca 32V Sunrise, Workhorse with a Vortec Engine 25,000 miles. Now I have a problem with it! The engine battery is dead, it only sat for a week from the last time it was started. Checked and Charged the batt. Started right up, next day the batt was dead again. So I replaced it... Well guess what same thing, put the new batt in yesterday around 3 pm and this morniing around 9 am it dead as a door nail. And to and insult to injury the battery boost switch doesn't work. Anyone got any ideas? I do have an appt at the dealers, for later in the week. But man,thats a lot of $$$$$.
luceil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I'm new to RVing so bear with me. We brought our RV last year and have made several trips in it with no problems. It's an 02 Itasca 32V Sunrise, Workhorse with a Vortec Engine 25,000 miles. Now I have a problem with it! The engine battery is dead, it only sat for a week from the last time it was started. Checked and Charged the batt. Started right up, next day the batt was dead again. So I replaced it... Well guess what same thing, put the new batt in yesterday around 3 pm and this morniing around 9 am it dead as a door nail. And to and insult to injury the battery boost switch doesn't work. Anyone got any ideas? I do have an appt at the dealers, for later in the week. But man,thats a lot of $$$$$.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #3

Just FYI....your converter/charger will only charge your HOUSE batteries and not your CHASSIS batteries. You need a Battery Minder or something similar to keep on your chassis battery charged.

I dont know why your chassis battery is discharging so quick though....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi - welcome to the forum!

Your new battery shouldn't discharge overnight. Sounds like you have an unnatural load on it. Have you checked your steps? I believe I have heard about motorized steps being energized all the time and discharging the battery.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On my Vectra there is a battery disconnect switch in the rear of the coach. I turn it off when the coach is not being used. The parasitic drain can make the battery go dead but usually not overnight.....

A trickle charger or a disconnect switch is well worth the expense.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks guys for all your advice. I found the problem. The darn brake lights were staying on all the time! I have installed a battery disconnect, so this won't happen again.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Luciel, welcome to the forum. It would also be a very good idea (if you haven't done so already)to track down why the brake lights are staying on when the ignition is switched off. Sticking brake switch or shorted wires in the brake circuit are likley problems.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Using a disconnect on the chassis battery is not the way to go. The engine and tranny computers must re-learn your driving habits each time you re-power them. It is better to fix the current drain and to use a battery minder or other such device to keep the battery charged.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

SINCE YOU HAVE A WORKHORSE CHASSIS DO NOT LEVE THE KEY INTHE IGNITION WHEN PARKED IT KEEPS THE DIGITAL DISPLAY ON THE DASH ACTIVE BUT IT USUALLY TAKES LONGER THAN OVERNIGHT TO KILLTHE BATTERY.FOUND THIS OUT THE HARD WAY.
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I'm suffering from the same problem so here's one more thank you for the battery help ideas.