Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Chasing my tail with electrical issues....

Please help lead me in the right direction! I am so stumped after 2 days of trouble shooting an electrical issue in my 2004 Winnebago Vectra. I noticed low power on the house 12v side because my radio was cutting in and out whenever I turned my 12v lights on which were dim. Didn't matter if I was on shore power or generator power the house batteries showed 11.0 volts on my panel. All of the AC side worked perfect at 119-121. But here's the kicker.... The Magnum MS2012 inverter/charger panel shows 13.65V and my solar charger panel shows about the same. So the inverter is only charging in float mode about 1-3 amps. I tested the batteries and they show 13.65 and I tested the battery cables coming into the inverter and they were 13.65. So what would cause a battery system and inverter that should be 13.65 only having 11.0v up on that battery meter on the onplace panel? Another symptom is when I run the generator my AC side works great but the house batteries drop even lower at about 10.9. Shut the generator off and they go up a little. I did start the engine and noticed that the charging rate was up a little but I'm still not getting the 12V I need to run the lights, radio or any of the other 12v stuff. Does anyone have any idea where to start testing after the batteries and inverter? There must be some sort of lead coming from the batteries into the coach and a panel that breaks it all out. I have a 12V panel under the bed but it's just breakers from what I can see. Please help! Leaving on a small vacation this Friday and don't want to be trouble shooting my entire trip. Thanks!
aw2657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw2657 View Post
Please help lead me in the right direction! I am so stumped after 2 days of trouble shooting an electrical issue in my 2004 Winnebago Vectra. I noticed low power on the house 12v side because my radio was cutting in and out whenever I turned my 12v lights on which were dim. Didn't matter if I was on shore power or generator power the house batteries showed 11.0 volts on my panel. All of the AC side worked perfect at 119-121. But here's the kicker.... The Magnum MS2012 inverter/charger panel shows 13.65V and my solar charger panel shows about the same. So the inverter is only charging in float mode about 1-3 amps. I tested the batteries and they show 13.65 and I tested the battery cables coming into the inverter and they were 13.65. So what would cause a battery system and inverter that should be 13.65 only having 11.0v up on that battery meter on the onplace panel? Another symptom is when I run the generator my AC side works great but the house batteries drop even lower at about 10.9. Shut the generator off and they go up a little. I did start the engine and noticed that the charging rate was up a little but I'm still not getting the 12V I need to run the lights, radio or any of the other 12v stuff. Does anyone have any idea where to start testing after the batteries and inverter? There must be some sort of lead coming from the batteries into the coach and a panel that breaks it all out. I have a 12V panel under the bed but it's just breakers from what I can see. Please help! Leaving on a small vacation this Friday and don't want to be trouble shooting my entire trip. Thanks!
What is the voltage measured with a meter at the house batteries when you are disconnected from shore power and the generator is off?

About your statement: " I tested the batteries and they show 13.65 and I tested the battery cables coming into the inverter and they were 13.65." The 13.6V you are reading would be the charging voltage from the inverter/charger.

A fully charged battery is 12.6V, but a good battery just disconnected from a charger is going to be showing a lot less than 13.6V. Usually about 13.0-13.2V. 11V is a dead battery.

I don't know why the panel is showing 11.x volts. I didn't think the panel would disconnect the charging voltage and actually measure the battery voltage. But I guess it could.

I assume the chassis battery is showing normal voltage???
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks al1florida, I checked my batteries this morning after they have set for a while and not connected to any power source and they are right at 12.6. I think I have narrowed down my issue to a faulty battery disconnect solenoid that must have just enough corrosion in it to make a connection but not a good connection. After hours of research on the computer I found a few old posts that talked about the house battery disconnect failing and one of the symptoms was the a battery voltage on the oneplace panel was less than the battery voltage reading from the inverter/charger. That was exactly what I was seeing and over the last month it would be different every time. Also flickering lights and very low power to the radio and other 12V lights. I tried flipping the disconnect switch back and forth a couple of times and now I have the same reading on the oneplace panel as I do the Inverter/charger panel at 12.5. So What I am thinking is that the solenoid is working but not like it should. I have both the battery disconnect solenoid and the battery boost solenoid on order from Amazon and when it shows up in the next couple of days I will throw them in and report back. Fingers crossed this should fix a lot of my little annoying 12V issues like charging the batteries quicker too!
Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Do you have the schematics from Winnebago, and do you know how to read them?

Welcome to the Forum!.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

rgvtexan, yes I did download all the schematics and chased them around. I just wasn't sure where to start with the systems. I used the schematics to find where the battery disconnect solenoid was located and now I have to take a few things apart to test and replace it. Thank goodness Winnebago posts all the schematics online....it's a life saver!
Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

As you notice there are different wires from the batteries to the charger/inverter and the house loads. A dirty or loose connection (or contactor) anywhere along this route could be the culprit.
A multimeter is your best friend in this case. Sometimes measuring from the stud to the terminal (or across closed contact) will show a voltage (use a low scale) when it should be zero. When you find this you have found the problem.

Good Luck
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks al1florida, I checked my batteries this morning after they have set for a while and not connected to any power source and they are right at 12.6. I think I have narrowed down my issue to a faulty battery disconnect solenoid that must have just enough corrosion in it to make a connection but not a good connection. After hours of research on the computer I found a few old posts that talked about the house battery disconnect failing and one of the symptoms was the a battery voltage on the oneplace panel was less than the battery voltage reading from the inverter/charger. That was exactly what I was seeing and over the last month it would be different every time. Also flickering lights and very low power to the radio and other 12V lights. I tried flipping the disconnect switch back and forth a couple of times and now I have the same reading on the oneplace panel as I do the Inverter/charger panel at 12.5. So What I am thinking is that the solenoid is working but not like it should. I have both the battery disconnect solenoid and the battery boost solenoid on order from Amazon and when it shows up in the next couple of days I will throw them in and report back. Fingers crossed this should fix a lot of my little annoying 12V issues like charging the batteries quicker too!
Sounds you are right on top of this. Making the solenoid work it's contacts several times and clearing up the problem for the moment really points to the solenoid being the problem.

Isn't amazing what you can get from Amazon! A solenoid for an RV and you find it on Amazon. I found my roof A/C motor on Amazon a couple of years ago for about 60% of what the local appliance parts store wanted.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

While you're in there (if it hasn't been done already) you might want to add a Trik-L-Start to keep the chassis batteries charged up whenever the coach batteries are being charged, as described in this Winnebago Service Tip: 2006-04 Trik-L-Start -

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quick update on the problem. Went in to the electrical apartment and took off the cover to do some testing on the boost solenoid and battery disconnect. It was immediately apparent that i was not getting the full voltage to the batter disconnect relay. There was a loose connection from the house battery side to the solenoid and every time i engages the disconnect I got a different reading and always lower than it should be. Tightened it up and problem solved. Thanks for all the help on the issue!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thank you very much for coming back and updating with what fixed the problems.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Congratulations on a good job of trouble-shooting!
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

As part of my annual maintenance routine I check the tightness (usually with an inch-pound torque wrench) of every electrical connection I can access. Those little puppies like to work lose while we're bumping down the road.

In some cases a lose connection with high amperage (current) can cause a fire.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Quick update on the problem. Went in to the electrical apartment and took off the cover to do some testing on the boost solenoid and battery disconnect. It was immediately apparent that i was not getting the full voltage to the batter disconnect relay. There was a loose connection from the house battery side to the solenoid and every time i engages the disconnect I got a different reading and always lower than it should be. Tightened it up and problem solved. Thanks for all the help on the issue!
aw,
Glad you got your issue fixed. It's always nice when an issue is corrected and, especially at little cost. Now, I second Chris's suggestion at taking a look at the "Trik-L-Start" component. If you read the first couple of paragraphs of that PDF he sent you, you'll see that, up until '06, Winne and Itasca DID NOT provide for chassis battery charging while on shore power. And that, quite often, results in a low or dead set of chassis batteries after being parked for a while even though, the coach was plugged into shore power.

So, Winne started installing that little unit, about the size of a 1/2 pack of cigarettes and, all is well. It's NOT a battery charger. It simply siphons off, some of the intended voltage aimed at the house batteries and diverts it to the chassis batteries. The Trik-L-Start unit has a max capability of diverting 5 amps. Whereas, it's bigger brother, the Amp-L-Start, can divert a max of 15 amps. Either one is seriously easy to install, especially in your's, Chris's and ours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. Below is a pic of where I installed in on our coach. I think, goofing around, it took me a whopping 1/2 hour to install.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040598.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	170902   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040597.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	170903  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

hey AW2657,
which electrical compartment are you speaking of. we have a 2004 Vectra 40 AD. If your issue happens to me, I would like to go straight to places of known issues to resolve. Thanks for the additional info.
DanGlo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Dan, the compartment is the back driver’s side where the electrical cable reel is. It’s the black sheet metal cover just over the top of the inverter where the ac (engine heater) plug is and the breakers and light on it. Pop that cover off by taking out about 9 Phillips screws and you can get easy access to both solenoids. About a 15-20 min job to test.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Fire up, thanks for the details and suggestion on the trik-L start. I actually have the clamp on model that clips on to the batteries directly. I would love a more powerful hard wired one but at the point mine seems to be working okay.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

So which unit did you put in The Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start? Someone told me the Trik-L-Start was for solar is he wrong?
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Unless you had a very large solar array, it couldn't take advantage of the higher maximum output of the Amp-L-Start, but that doesn't mean the Amp-L-Start wouldn't work just fine with solar. In any case, most of us aren't exclusively solar.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I asked due to my solar panel that came with the unit is not working and wanted to put something in line to keep the Chassis batteries charged. Thanks.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Eagle View Post
I asked due to my solar panel that came with the unit is not working and wanted to put something in line to keep the Chassis batteries charged. Thanks.
You still need a power source in order to charge. The Trik-L-Start/Amp-L-Start will only feed your chassis battery off your house battery(ies) as long as they don't fall below a specified charge level. That means the house battery(ies) need to be connected to a charging source (solar, converter, external charger or battery maintainer) to keep the chassis battery charged over the long term.

Tags
electrical