Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Charging Solenoid

I Have a 2001 Journey 36GD. I am having trouble finding the solenoid
that charges my coach batterys while driving down the road. When I check volt meter on the control pannel the engine batterys are being charged while the engine is running but the coach batterys are not.
Does anyone no where this solenoid is located?

Thanks
01 Journey 36GD
02 Honda CRV
BlueOX
01 Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Should be near the batteries. Follow the heavy gage red battery cables from each battery bank, should lead you to the solenoid.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

According to the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach it should be in the front electrical box somewhere under the front hood.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

On my 02 Horizon it is located up front behind the fuse panel above the generator...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The one that connects the house batteries so that they can be charged by the alternator is called the Isolator solenoid. ( located near batteries). The brain that sends the signal to the isolator is usually located up front far away from batteries. The isolator solenoid is usually the first to go bad. Theres plenty of information on this site if you search "house batteries not charging while driving" or isolator solenoid not working etc. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

01 Journey,

Once you find the correct solenoid, I would recommend you replace it with a sealed "marine style" Continuous-Duty Solenoid like found on larger boats. The marine style units are completely sealed and have a "Plasticized" covering over the housing. They don't cost much more than the normal ones and last much longer. This is the type I used: Continuous Duty Solenoid

(The website description has incorrect/conflicting information - the unit IS "Continuous Duty.)

David
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford Triton V10, F53 Chassis (39,000 miles). Toad: 2000 Honda Odyssey (384,000 Miles), Home Made Trac Bar, Firestone Ride Rites, 5 Star Performance Tune, Cheap Handling Fix, Magnum Auto-Start Generator kit, King Quest VQ4100 (Direct TV)
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
The one that connects the house batteries so that they can be charged by the alternator is called the Isolator solenoid. ( located near batteries). The brain that sends the signal to the isolator is usually located up front far away from batteries. The isolator solenoid is usually the first to go bad. Theres plenty of information on this site if you search "house batteries not charging while driving" or isolator solenoid not working etc. Good luck.
Both of my solonoids (isolator and house battery disconnect) on my Horizon are located where I originally posted, up front under the fuse panel above the genny...
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Both of my solenoids (isolator and house battery disconnect) on my Horizon are located where I originally posted, up front under the fuse panel above the genny...
The house battery disconnect has nothing to do with charging batteries. After starting coach ( usually less then a minute) a signal is sent to the isolator solenoid to connect batteries so house batt can be charged. After shutting engine down, and the surface charge drops off, the batteries are isolated. I believe the OP is looking for the isolator solenoid and it is hooked directly to both battery banks via battery cables. Of course I'm an amature, the real pros are watching and waiting to chime in I'm sure.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The house battery disconnect has nothing to do with charging batteries. After starting coach ( usually less then a minute) a signal is sent to the isolator solenoid to connect batteries so house batt can be charged. After shutting engine down, and the surface charge drops off, the batteries are isolated. I believe the OP is looking for the isolator solenoid and it is hooked directly to both battery banks via battery cables. Of course I'm an amature, the real pros are watching and waiting to chime in I'm sure.
Correct...I know what the difference is...The op has an 01 Journey...I have an 02 Horizon....These are Winnnebagos not Monacos...I'm assuming that both solenoids in his are where mine are being that they are 1 year apart......
Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Movin-On
You are right. Both solenoids are up front above the generator. I had
my wife throw the battery switch to connect both batteries and the solenoid on the
left clicked. The other one sits about middle of the pannel. Which one charges battery while engine is running?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
KIX
Winnebago Master

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 Journey View Post
Movin-On
You are right. Both solenoids are up front above the generator. I had
my wife throw the battery switch to connect both batteries and the solenoid on the
left clicked. The other one sits about middle of the pannel. Which one charges battery while engine is running?
The battery boost solenoid is the same solenoid that connects the two banks together (on Winnes). So, when your wife operates the AUX Start or BAT. Boost (one name or the other = same switch) one of the solenoids will receive 12volt power to the solenoid coil (smaller wires....power should be the yellow wire)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Correct...I know what the difference is...The op has an 01 Journey...I have an 02 Horizon....These are Winnnebagos not Monacos...I'm assuming that both solenoids in his are where mine are being that they are 1 year apart......
Well I did say I was an amature
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The isolator sol will still be hooked to both batt banks and the principles will be the same where as the location of other sols and diodes may be in diff locations ( then my monaco) they still do the same thing sending a signal to the isolator sol when eng battery reaches predetermined voltage. Keep in mind that even if it shows power to the small wire lead ( on iso solenoid) this does not mean the solenoid is actually working. Check voltage on house batteries while eng is running just in case your guages are not working.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The isolator sol will still be hooked to both batt banks and the principles will be the same where as the location of other sols and diodes may be in diff locations ( then my monaco) they still do the same thing sending a signal to the isolator sol when eng battery reaches predetermined voltage. Keep in mind that even if it shows power to the small wire lead ( on iso solenoid) this does not mean the solenoid is actually working. Check voltage on house batteries while eng is running just in case your guages are not working.
Agreed...That's the way to do it..
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Well Here is where I am Now. Today I went out and bought a new solenoid. I bought
the Cole Hersee Continuous Duty Soenoid from west marine. I installed it and
tryed to power up the unit and it did not work. When I hit the switch to turn power
on as long as I held my finger on the switch in eather direction off or on the unit would power up and as soon as i would let go of the button the power was lost.
So I took the new solenoid off and put the old one back on. Everything is working fine again except when engine is running coach batteries are not being charged.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well Here is where I am Now. Today I went out and bought a new solenoid. I bought
the Cole Hersee Continuous Duty Soenoid from west marine. I installed it and
tryed to power up the unit and it did not work. When I hit the switch to turn power
on as long as I held my finger on the switch in eather direction off or on the unit would power up and as soon as i would let go of the button the power was lost.
So I took the new solenoid off and put the old one back on. Everything is working fine again except when engine is running coach batteries are not being charged.
And that is how it is supposed to work.
Power to the coil is from the ignition switch when the switch is in the run position AND (if you have a BIRD) battery bank voltage is below 13 (approx.) volts. When you press the AUX or BOOST switch that bypasses the ignition switch to tie the two banks together, Your OP stated that you could not charge house (coach) battery bank from alternator. To check it out you'll have to start the engine and allow it to run for maybe 20 minutes to allow bank voltage to drop below threshold and activate the isolator solenoid.
Since you have the original solenoid re-installed I would suggest you have your wife press the AUX or BOOST switch and you check to see if solenoid coil is getting power. If it is getting power then you can disco ONE battery bank (either one) and with the coil energized check for continuity between the lugs. If you have continuity then your solenoid is good. And if it is good then I would suspect the BIRD relay........assuming you have one.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

If I have a bird Relay where might I find it?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #18
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
If I have a bird Relay where might I find it?
The BIRD on my coach is in the same compartment with the battery disconnect solenoid and the battery isolating solenoid. If you have one it will have printed on it "Battery Isolating Relay Delay". It's about 4" square and 1" thick, black with white lettering on it. Probably 3 or 4 wires connected to it. It is not weather proof so it will be in a protected location and probably very near the isolating solenoid.
Have you determined if the coil on the battery isolating solenoid is good? AND, have you determined if the solenoid contacts are good if the coil is energizing?

You should also know that the isolating solenoid must work for the alternator to charge both banks........that's the place to start checking for the defect.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I don't believe that the Journey has the BIRD relay that the Ultimates have.

The bridging solenoid that you've been working with should be activated when the engine is running (or when the 'boost' switch on the panel is pushed) so that the two battery banks are connected together.

The chassis batteries, however, won't be charged when on shore power or generator unless you have added something like the Trik-L-Start (or similar). Starting with the 2006 models Winnebago added the Trik-L-Start as standard equipment on all diesel pushers.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
KIX
Winnebago Master

Cbeierl may just be correct in that you may not have a BIRD. He is correct in the wya the isolating solenoid works to charge your house batteries from the alternator. SEe my earlier post on how to test the solenoid to see if it's functioning correctly.