Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

jerichorick, The OP's coach does not have a B.I.R.D. system, the relay you pointed out is the continuous duty mode relay energized my the Battery Boost switch or the engine running signal.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful replies. My actions will be to:

1) Replace the engine battery as I believe it is close to or is the original.
2) Add a Trik-l-start from the coach batteries to the chassis battery.

I appreciate all the effort you guys placed in your replies.
Rick
Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
jerichorick, The OP's coach does not have a B.I.R.D. system, the relay you pointed out is the continuous duty mode relay energized my the Battery Boost switch or the engine running signal.
When I looked at the diagram the relay I found does the same thing. It is similar to the system I had on my '05 Vectra. The relay senses the low voltage and falls to it to provide charging. It's a bi-directional relay. What the initials actually stand for I don't recall at the moment. Mine failed and I had to replace it.

What the OP did in his final solution was to eliminate the relay with the Trik-l-start. Many coaches are using that system, including some Winnebago models.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

We have a Winnebago 26 HE. I'm on shore power all winter. I contacted Winnebago about a trickle charger for my chassis battery. At first they told me not to do that, then they changed their attitude and sent me a web site on the subject and told me to go ahead and add a trickle charger. I use these chargers on my Ferguson tractor, my riding lawn mower and my Astro van. They keep the battery healthy even in frigid weather.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Interesting twist... still waiting on Trik-L-charger and new battery. I looked at the energy mgmt panel, engine battery and it said 4.1 volts. I expected this so no big deal. Today I pushed the black tank button and it came up with faded full lights. I had just dumped it so I knew that this was wrong. I checked the others (gray, fresh and LP and they all showed faded out full lights. I boosted the engine battery and started the engine and then all lights on the EMP worked normally.

I did not think the engine battery would cause the light issue I described. Should I be looking for another cause or problem???

Thanks
Old 02-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

osgoor, sounds like you chassis batteries were a little low also. Does not take much to mess with led readouts.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

I think grtharris meant your coach batteries are also low since engine battery=chassis battery.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

ChasA, that be correct I meant coach batteries.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
ChasA, that be correct I meant coach batteries.
House batteries (2 6 volt) show ok at 13.2 volts. Engine battery is dead. Lights on EMS panel show all tanks full again (dimly). I boosted the batteries to start the engine and the engine/chassis battery showed 15.2 volts on the EMS panel. Trik-L-charger to arrive Friday.

Fun fun fun
Old 02-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
House batteries (2 6 volt) show ok at 13.2 volts. Engine battery is dead. Lights on EMS panel show all tanks full again (dimly). I boosted the batteries to start the engine and the engine/chassis battery showed 15.2 volts on the EMS panel. Trik-L-charger to arrive Friday.

Fun fun fun
When you say "dead", did you measure the battery voltage?
Old 02-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I did measure the battery voltage and it was 2.0 volts. New Trik-L-charge arrived today and was installed along with a new battery. Now, time will tell if all the little gremlins have been vanquished...
Old 02-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

We have been motorhoming since 1985, and I have never been able to say that "all the little gremlins have been vanquished." Just asking for more problems, in my opinion.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I did measure the battery voltage and it was 2.0 volts. New Trik-L-charge arrived today and was installed along with a new battery. Now, time will tell if all the little gremlins have been vanquished...
If the battery voltage does not come up in a day or two then you do not have enough current capacity in the trickle charger. You may need to use a bigger charger to get the battery up then use the trickle charger to maintain it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That is BURY IT dead. Most batteries do not recover from that deep a discharge. I think the standard rule of thumb is anything below 9V on a 12V battery is fatal to the battery. Once you have it charged (if you can charge it) disconnect it and read the voltage after 24hrs. If it sags more than .5V it may be bad. Go for another 24hrs and read it again. If the voltage continues to sag the battery is NG. On a fresh charge it may still start your rig but I would not trust it.

We wait...

Rick Y
Old 02-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #35

Quote:

New Trik-L-charge arrived today and was installed along with a new battery. Now, time will tell if all the little gremlins have been vanquished...
My understanding is that a new battery was installed. Therefore any concerns about charging the old battery or whether it would even take a charge is moot.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

I agree with Richard. RIF reading is fundamental.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
That is BURY IT dead. Most batteries do not recover from that deep a discharge. I think the standard rule of thumb is anything below 9V on a 12V battery is fatal to the battery. Once you have it charged (if you can charge it) disconnect it and read the voltage after 24hrs. If it sags more than .5V it may be bad. Go for another 24hrs and read it again. If the voltage continues to sag the battery is NG. On a fresh charge it may still start your rig but I would not trust it.

We wait...

Rick Y
Not really. It is beyond what most chargers will handle without some current limiting and a slow recharge to get the chemistry working again. That only makes it "dead" to the folks who don't take the time to sort out the problem. Use a low current trickle charger or a high current charger with something like a big lamp bulb in series to current limit while the chemistry comes back and you have more years left assuming it was decent in the first place.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I agree with Richard. RIF reading is fundamental.
I have. The new battery has been subjected to a low voltage discharge that is beyond its design limits and may now be damaged. The OP needs to have this start battery tested with a good professional tester like I used when I was gainfully employed and did this for a living. The 24hr sag test is a next best substitute.

Rick Y
Old 02-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Fun fun fun
If you have 2, 6 volt batteries for house batteries someone has definitely been changing out the batteries. The 6 volt batteries have to be wired in series to have a 12 volt output. Your motorhome originally came with 2 group 29, or 2 group 31, 12 volt batteries wired in parallel.

The 15.2 volts on the chassis battery sounds way too high unless you were reading the panel with the booster attached as the engine was cranking. The maximum charge voltage should be about 14.3 volts.

Tags
battery, charging